I am using my N9 on At&t 3G network using the default APN settings.

While using the speed meter app to test the connection speed the max I get is around 900kb/256 kb for download and upload respectively.

However, if I tether my internet connection and test the connection speed through my laptop with speedtest.net I am seeing connection speeds like 2.5 mb/ 700kb for download/upload.

Is it as simple as the N9 hardware is not able to support faster connections? Or is there something that I could do to improve my connection speed in N9.

Thanks in advance for all insights.

I actually don't know the exact answer but I have gotten speeds upto 3mbps in LTE cities. And I use the hotspot a lot when I'm traveling for conferences so there has never been a point where I have to wait for something to load like on youtube. Most of the times everything loads pretty quickly and even when I am torrenting the speeds are not bad at all.

I don't know which one too go by because speedtest says something different but the app on Nokia N9 says something different. I would just advice try to download a file on utorrent and see it for yourself.