Alright still no luck with USB sticks, but managed to connect a keyboard. Unfortunately it stops working after about 30 seconds... any ideas for this?

Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Alright still no luck with USB sticks, but managed to connect a keyboard. Unfortunately it stops working after about 30 seconds... any ideas for this?
32s. Timeout of bq24150 VBUS boost. Somehow the vboost script (or whatever Mohammad is using for starting VBUS boost) doesn't work correctly.
As I don't see any "OFF" button in this GUI, I suspect closing it also stops vboost.
Ask Mohammad.

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,664 | Thanked: 1,530 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Hamilton, New Zealand
Originally Posted by MohammadAG View Post
Well, most of you don't know this, but, PR1.3 introduced two things:
Backports of new kernel patches to musb, which really helped with hostmode.
And.. a new bug, if you connect the wall charger to the device, 100% of the time it will stay on 500 (sometimes 550?) MHz, we do not know the behavior of an overclocked device when this bug is triggered on it, if it stays clocked @ 900 (for example), then we're going to see some dead devices pretty soon.
Anyways, hostmode's patches require 1.3's patches to musb, so until titan updates his kernel, it's a no go, feel free to contact his email address (see http://maemo.org/packages/view/kernel-power-flasher and click his name) and request an update.
Happened to mine as well. Mine is stock kernal and it stay at 500Mhz when charging or cable plugged in. I have no idea how to return it back to normal.

Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
32s. Timeout of bq24150 VBUS boost. Somehow the vboost script (or whatever Mohammad is using for starting VBUS boost) doesn't work correctly.
As I don't see any "OFF" button in this GUI, I suspect closing it also stops vboost.
Ask Mohammad.
Sounds about right, and it consistently happens. So we wait for an update then?

Ps. There should be plenty of power to mount a basic USB stick, yes? So chances are its just a problem with the script.

According to the log files it sees my Wi-Spy DBX device ok, not sure if it will ever be able to do anything with it though, would be v cool if I could get it working though

It tried to read my USB pen drive but then said it failed to read dead device

Ill try again tomorrow night with a couple more usb sticks and post the logs up here if I can screen shot them or if they are written anywhere

Posts: 293 | Thanked: 76 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Fremantle, W. Australia
USB host mode was nice on the N800 for attaching a hard drive and keyboard. The N900 does not need that so much, with 32GB flash, but it could really use a proper SD-card reader.

Originally Posted by MastaG View Post
Does someone have a USB DVB-T stick laying around to test?
Yes, but I'd look really silly with a 1m VHF/UHF antenna hanging off my phone. (Do those ting antenna that come with the dongle really work anywhere?) So much easier to put the DVB dongle on a home server and stream the video over wifi or 3G (transcoded to mpeg4). A mythtv frontend for the n900 would be nice. Who wants live TV anyway? I hear it has adverts.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to myk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 151 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Germany
Originally Posted by myk View Post

Yes, but I'd look really silly with a 1m VHF/UHF antenna hanging off my phone. (Do those ting antenna that come with the dongle really work anywhere?) So much easier to put the DVB dongle on a home server and stream the video over wifi or 3G (transcoded to mpeg4). A mythtv frontend for the n900 would be nice. Who wants live TV anyway? I hear it has adverts.
Well it would be for example in the car quite useful In cities also the 7-8cm long antennas work quite fine.

Posts: 1,427 | Thanked: 2,077 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Sydney
I have latest multiboot installed with 3 choices:
1. omap (PR1.3 kernel)
2. power (titan's power kernel v40)
3. NITDroid

If I boot to #1 and install this USB host kernel, I'm assuming I can still boot to #2 power kernel when needed right? (and boot to #1 for USB host)

Also, what can we hook up? Is there a general compatibility list of some sort?

btw, AWESOME WORK GUYS (&GALS?).
This community just ROCKS. Thank you all.

Last edited by jakiman; 2010-11-08 at 01:05.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jakiman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 166 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Cyprus
Originally Posted by jakiman View Post
I have latest multiboot installed with 3 choices:
1. omap (PR1.3 kernel)
2. power (titan's power kernel v40)
3. NITDroid

If I boot to #1 and install this USB host kernel, I'm assuming I can still boot to #2 power kernel when needed right? (and boot to #1 for USB host)

Also, what can we hook up? Is there a general compatibility list of some sort?

btw, AWESOME WORK GUYS (&GALS?).
This community just ROCKS. Thank you all.
That is the exact question I have!If I boot to the 1st kernel and install the USB host kernel, would that overwrite the power kernel in multiboot?

The Following User Says Thank You to sophocha For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by joerg_rw View Post
Ask Mohammad.
Microsoft mouse is working(a bit too sensitive, but working). Also disconnects after some time. Ooh and I can't make multi-devices(mouse + keyboard or card reader with multiple slots) works

Tags
bada rox, detection, h-e-n, hostmode, speed, usb host