Notices

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France
No way to use it with 3g...
Only qwerty keyboard...
But not so bad...

Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
Is there a place we can provide feedback for Opera on the N9?

I've found that to close a tab you need to hit twice and the letter A isnt easily registered as the others. Odd.
https://bugs.opera.com/wizard/mobile

Posts: 105 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cevenn View Post
No way to use it with 3g....
Works for me with 3g.

The Following User Says Thank You to Petteri For This Useful Post:
As you've all noticed the N9 release is far from finished, as any labs build should be.

Here's some more details about it: http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/a...ile-labs-11-5/

I see someone messed up the downloads links, if you haven't already, get it at the Ovi Store, http://store.ovi.com/content/255196.

/ohrn

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ohrn For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by afaq View Post
I've found that to close a tab you need to hit twice and
Pressing twice on the close button is by design.

the letter A isnt easily registered as the others. Odd.
The OS level swipe detection messes with the touch events received along the edges of the screen, that might be what's interfering.

/ohrn

Posts: 192 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ south of France
Originally Posted by Petteri View Post
Works for me with 3g.
No way for me, works only with WiFi!

The Following User Says Thank You to cevenn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 146 | Thanked: 99 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Lisbon, Portugal
Originally Posted by ohrn View Post
Pressing twice on the close button is by design.

/ohrn
Really? I just realised now that the close button changes size between the first and the second touch, as an effort to not make the user believe Opera missed the touch. It's nice, but since the finger obscures the button, the change is too subtle and I was not noticing it until today (and thinking Opera was not registering the touch).

Originally Posted by cevenn View Post
No way for me, works only with WiFi!

SFR still uses WAP?

And the Nokia browser can reach it through 3G while Opera can't? If both can't reach it, you must have some problem with the WAP gateway configuration. On WiFi, nothing should reach the SFR WAP site, usually this type of operator portals can only be accessed through the operator's network (where you connect through 3G to reach the rest of the Internet) and are invisible to the Internet at large (WiFi). You're sure you are using an SFR SIM, aren't you?

On my N9, http://twilightwap.com or http://wap.digitallook.com (which AFAIK are public WAP sites) can be reached both by Opera and by the Nokia browser. There seems to be nothing wrong with Opera's WAP support, except for the part where finding live WAP sites to test is very difficult.

Last edited by tigas; 2012-02-22 at 03:19.

The Following User Says Thank You to tigas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,783 | Thanked: 1,253 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ norway
Originally Posted by tigas View Post
SFR still uses WAP?
I suspect the actual page is likely some streamlined XHML rather than the WML of old. They likely just keep the address around rather than use m., i. (groan), mob. or similar.

Btw, your first links open fine in firefox 10, while your second gives a download dialog for a wml mime type file.

And lookie, checking the markup of the first link directly reveals that is in fact xhtml...

Last edited by tso; 2012-02-22 at 03:23.

Well, digitallook seems to be good old WML as I remember it and is rendered by Opera Mobile 11.5Labs on my N9. Twilightwap I'm not so sure, the WAP link and the Web link both point to the same address, may be XHTML. As for good old wap.nokia.com, it became mobile.nokia.mobi and is completely different.

I absolutely do not miss WAP. One of the best things Opera has ever made was invent Small Screen Rendering to enable the first generations of connected phones to parse HTML sites and show them in a WAP-like fashion for those very basic phones. Developers did not have to do a special WAP site (just some adaptations to their main HTML site) and more importantly, did not have to pay the operators to put them inside the operator's internal network. That prevented Mobile Internet becoming walled gardens, at the rate of one garden per operator.

You can test Small Screen Rendering by bookmarking a site on Opera Desktop and selecting on the properties of the bookmark "Show in Panel" - on the sidebar you should now have a panel with the site rendered in SSR. "Single Column View" in Opera Mobile is similar but not quite the same thing.

@tso: reached the same conclusion at the same time, I see....

Last edited by tigas; 2012-02-22 at 03:35.

Tags
fast browser, opera