Originally Posted by maluka View Post
Perhaps you should click on 'details' in that previous link to see the corresponding thread in which the developers in the picture respond themselves. https://twitter.com/JollaHQ/status/405000227599310848

Criticism and feedback is how this community has grown. I don't think many of us who bought a Jolla were under any illusion that it would be anything but a beta product at launch. If you expect something that works perfectly immediately then it is perhaps not the device for you. As someone who has been a member of this community for years, I have grown to trust these people to deliver over time. Half the fun is in the journey there.
Perhaps I'm not clicking through Twitter reponds to get to the ground of it.

And as you said, criticism must have a place. And I'm not expecting a device with xxx Mio Apps and things like that. But I expect basic features to work.

The Following User Says Thank You to gaelic For This Useful Post:
I don't know if someboy already stated it, but the ui gfx performance is poor compared with ios or andorid. I don0t know where the problems relays (Qt, wayland, poor vblank syn...) but when scrolling lists, or ohter "scrollable things", there are some frame drops that makes the "ui experience" not smooth at all. Very disapointing .

The Following User Says Thank You to kkito For This Useful Post:
Posts: 496 | Thanked: 651 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ London
I don't think many of us who bought a Jolla were under any illusion that it would be anything but a beta product at launch.
Sorry, but that's just historical revisionism, and I think you are wrong. We may have latterly accepted it, but Jolla made no mention of the OS being released in a beta state whatsoever until the beginning of November, when it suddenly appeared on the technical specs when their website was revamped.

Originally Posted by kkito View Post
when scrolling lists, or ohter "scrollable things", there are some frame drops
Have to say that I'm not seeing this. Scrolling and the rest of the GUI seem pretty good to me.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 741 | Thanked: 900 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Auckland NZ
Originally Posted by strongm View Post
Sorry, but that's just historical revisionism, and I think you are wrong. We may have latterly accepted it, but Jolla made no mention of the OS being released in a beta state whatsoever until the beginning of November, when it suddenly appeared on the technical specs when their website was revamped.
No, it's just common sense. Not a single new phone OS has launched fully featured from day one.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to maluka For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by Manatus View Post
It is about timing, and the time for public bugtracker would be later when the basis is considered ready. Currently it is not.
I totally understand the point you are making, but Jolla are now *selling* a product, for real money.

The least they can do is keep their paying customers informed about the bugs they are now discovering, because quite honestly, there's an awful LOT of them.

A Bugzilla would allow customers to see that bugs are being marked as "Known, fixed in future upcoming release" or "Actually, haven't seen that one, will add it to the list". Maybe even the dreaded "By design - won't fix".

They can either relax when they know it's already fixed, or provide more information if it's not known. Or complain if it's a bad design decision.

It's very frustrating to have this device, to find all these bugs, and not know the status of these bugs. Sending an email to a blackhole is not a solution. Is someone manning the email address? Why couldn't they maintain a Bugzilla instead? It wouldn't take more than one person to respond to new bug reports.

You might come back and say "Trust in Jolla" but they're mostly ex-Nokians and sadly, we all know how that went - they talked about an open process, but never really delivered. I'm getting a bad vibe that history is repeating itself.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,401 | Thanked: 1,255 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ London, UK
No, it's just common sense. Not a single new phone OS has launched fully featured from day one.
Agreed that new platforms don't launch fully featured, but this isn't really the problem as I don't think anyone was expecting that. However after all the early hype the "beta" tag arrived really quite late, certainly after people had put down their pre-order money, and it's frankly unusual for retail products to launch in a beta state, so in that sense no, it's not "common sense" at all.

The thing is, Jolla have now launched, they're selling a product for serious money, and - beta or not - they need to deal with the copious amounts of feedback in a professional and ordered way. A collection of email addresses and Twitter (that all appear to be managed by bots) is simply not the way forward, particularly for an organisation that strives to be "open".

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Milhouse For This Useful Post:
That's not the issue; there is a difference between a lack of features and a beta.

The Following User Says Thank You to strongm For This Useful Post:
Posts: 857 | Thanked: 1,206 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Chertsey in the Thames, United Kingdom
I too hope that a proper bug reporting process which is visible is launched soon. I have had my Jolla since launch day and at first I raised a load of issues and have had some feedback. However not there are several thousand with Jollas it seems a little pointless to send an email which must be on a queue with a load of other reporting the same thing. I just want to know what has already been reported and then await the next release. I do believe Jolla has something in teh pipeline but it can't come soon enough when we are in beta mode, which after all is about finding bugs ready for formal production release.

Looking forward to Dave999's countdown to the new function release expected in Q1 2014

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bockersjv For This Useful Post:
No smartphone is launched fully featured but I don't think any phone has launched with so many bugs. Jolla customers are paying real money to be beta testers and to top it off the company doesn't appear to take bugs seriously enough to start a bug tracker. Even an offer to start a bugzilla for Jolla was met with the response "we have no time to read it" which borders on arrogance.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SamGan For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla, review, sailfish, the other half, user experience