Notices

Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Looked around the forums for a Quran app today, and to my surprise I couldn't find any.

So I looked for a GTK Quran app and found Noor (written in Python)

Sourceforge site: http://noor.sourceforge.net/

Application now in extras-devel!
Quran texts are optified.
Big thanks to qwerty12 for hildonizing the application!
http://maemo.org/packages/view/noor/

Application is available in 7 languages:
en (English - default)
ar (Arabic)
fa (Farsi)
ml (Malayalam)
ps (Pushto)
tr (Turkish)
nl (Dutch) (Thanks to HtheB!)
Change the
Code:
lang = XX
in /home/user/.noor to the language you want, you can use leafpad, nano, vi, or any other editor to do this.

Screenshots from N900, v0.8-4

Translation package needed for English translation

Last edited by MohammadAG; 2010-04-22 at 19:05.

The Following 33 Users Say Thank You to MohammadAG For This Useful Post:
thanks for the info
is there a way to get it to extras devil

Last edited by matar; 2010-02-12 at 20:21.

Posts: 861 | Thanked: 734 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Nomadic
Neat work here. Seems like a similar kind of work is being done with this port as has been done with Rapier. There the application was ported to Maemo 5, but generally just put into a working mode so that resources could concentrate on a new-from-ground-up app called Katana.

[slightly off-topic]
Would be nice if Katana could support the Quran as well as Judeao-Christian texts; that would be a bit less work if it could happen and a benefit to the platform community. Not sure of Katana's developers are up for it, but just speaking as a Christian, it would be neat to see the shared workload.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ARJWright For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,473 | Thanked: 12,265 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Jerusalem, PS/IL
Originally Posted by matar View Post
thanks for the info
is there a way to get it to extras devil
I'm trying to build a .deb file for it, if everything goes well enough, I might request an invitation.
(Again though, this is not my app, I only modified the setup.py file)

Posts: 2,173 | Thanked: 2,678 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Cornwall, UK
Originally Posted by ARJWright View Post
[slightly off-topic]
Would be nice if Katana could support the Quran as well as Judeao-Christian texts; that would be a bit less work if it could happen and a benefit to the platform community. Not sure of Katana's developers are up for it, but just speaking as a Christian, it would be neat to see the shared workload.
I'd love to see a whole library of spiritual and religious texts from many traditions supported on the one software.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to RevdKathy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,274 | Thanked: 5,358 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ Looking at y'all and sighing
Here's my attempt to package and Hildonize it (source and all): http://qwerty12.qole.org/noor/

I must stress that I've only done the basic Hildonizing; there's a lot more that could be done. But I don't know Python and its anal-retentiveness over indentation pisses me off.

It's packaged, but my packaging skills are quite rusty so you may encounter things that may need to be fixed. That said, it installs and uninstalls fine.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qwerty12 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Here's my attempt to package and Hildonize it (source and all): http://qwerty12.qole.org/noor/

I must stress that I've only done the basic Hildonizing; there's a lot more that could be done. But I don't know Python and its anal-retentiveness over indentation pisses me off.

It's packaged, but my packaging skills are quite rusty so you may encounter things that may need to be fixed. That said, it installs and uninstalls fine.
hey salaam, can you break down for a newb how to download and install this?

The Following User Says Thank You to Ali bhai For This Useful Post:
I can't help on the programming side yet, but I'd be happy to offer my time for bringing the Dhammapada into a combined app. It'd be very nice if there was a specific text format so that any texts could be put into it. There are a lot of Buddhist Sutras.

Nicola

The Following User Says Thank You to Djonma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,203 | Thanked: 1,391 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Worthing, England
Originally Posted by Ali bhai View Post
hey salaam, can you break down for a newb how to download and install this?
If it is a deb file, you should be able to visit his link, and click the deb file link, save it to your phone, then use file manager and just click the deb (Run it)
----------- Are you on the N900 World Map? - http://pininthemap.com/maemo - masterpin: shotgun
----------- What apps do you want to see on the n900 or in MeeGo in the future? -

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noobmonkey For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by noobmonkey View Post
If it is a deb file, you should be able to visit his link, and click the deb file link, save it to your phone, then use file manager and just click the deb (Run it)
I tried that, theres 2 deb files I saved them all but when i click on them it says it cannot install it cuz it is missing something.