Notices

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 408 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Helsinki
Hi all!
Mappero 3.0+beta7, currently in extras-testing, supports turn-by-turn navigation with vocal announcements in the device user's language.
If there are no sound files for the language in use, then Mappero falls back to interlingua, an international language that you all should learn ;-) This is the "strange language" that I saw being mentioned in some threads here.

So, to help Mappero support your own language, follow these steps:
  1. Open the terminal, type "echo $LC_MESSAGES" and keep record of the output (it is a language/country code, for example for Italian it's it_IT)
  2. Record yourself while reading the following short sentences (you can install the sound recorder on the N900 too) translated into your language, with one second of silence between them:
    • turn right
    • turn left
    • turn slightly to the right
    • turn slightly to the left
    • take the first exit
    • take the second exit
    • take the third exit
    • continue straight
  3. write a post in this thread, specifying your language code and attaching the sound file.
  4. hope that people like it :-)
Who will decide which voice is worth being included in the next release of Mappero?

The users! I will periodically check this thread, and I will pick those posts which have been thanked the most.

Unfortunately it's not possible to have more than a single voice for a given language, so only one voice pack for will have to be chosen for each language.

The Following 48 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Mappero still has an annoying serious bug. It sometimes brings N900 to zombie when "handling maps". Just had this last weekend again when trying to use it. Either it takes so much CPU-time, or then too much RSS-memory to make N900 swapping, that touch interface becomes inresponsive and often Mappero has to be forcefully quit from power-menu or whole N900 rebooted.

Does it need an internet connection to work (like map downloading etc)?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RafaLL92 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 166 | Thanked: 106 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Finland
Originally Posted by zimon View Post
Mappero still has an annoying serious bug. It sometimes brings N900 to zombie when "handling maps". Just had this last weekend again when trying to use it. Either it takes so much CPU-time, or then too much RSS-memory to make N900 swapping, that touch interface becomes inresponsive and often Mappero has to be forcefully quit from power-menu or whole N900 rebooted.
Wasn't PR1.2 supposed to fix this?

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Are there separate maps which user can download and then use them without internet?

This is what I am looking for.

Posts: 92 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Toronto, Canada
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post
Are there separate maps which user can download and then use them without internet?

agreed, can we use the ovi maps which I already have downloaded on my device?

Originally Posted by jlu View Post
Wasn't PR1.2 supposed to fix this?
It does.

Originally Posted by canabal View Post
agreed, can we use the ovi maps which I already have downloaded on my device?
No, those OVI maps cannot be used.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by resplendent2209 View Post

Yes, all maps supported by Mappero can be downloaded while at home. You can download maps for a certain area, or along one route.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mardy For This Useful Post:
Posts: 330 | Thanked: 82 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Mumbai, India and Amherst, USA (Current Location)
Step by step instructions please?

Tags
mappero, navigation