Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
That dbus chown does the trick, thanks.
Now, there is the keyboard problem, I think you have the n800 plus BT kbd so you don't see it, but with the n810 only first function chars do work, not 2nd function (blue) chars. This happens only inside a Xephyr window.
Must be some specific keyboard config to be copied between the maemo root and the debian chroot. Unfortunately at present I have no clue where to look for.

By the way, JWM is really cool, very minimalist and quick. Try it...

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-06-07 at 13:02. Reason: bad spelling

Tip #1 - shorten openoffice.org startup. Fire up an openoffice instance (ex. writer), go to tools / options, then in the list look for openoffice.org and memory. Change "use for openoffice.org" to 30MB and "memory per object" to 2MB. Seems to work in my hands albeit I did no measures (placebo is enough for me :-).
Taken from http://www.linuxformat.co.uk/pdfs/do...feat_speed.pdf which is a very interesting source of speeding advices.

Tip #2 - move around windows in matchbox. Very useful with debian apps windows under hildon/matchbox. See http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...cking+matchbox - thanks to Anakin -
and apply the "DIALOGMODE = free" hack. I already posted it in another, more obscure, thread, but this is relevant also in this debian chroot thread.

Tip #3 - toggle maximization of debian apps windows with n810 keyboard. If you are already using keylaunch to get mouse right click, add the following line to your /etc/keylaunchrc file
Code:
key=*...Pressed F6:/home/user/togglewindowstate
and make a /home/user/togglewindowstate like that:
Code:
#!/bin/sh
wmctrl -r :ACTIVE: -b toggle,fullscreen
exit 0
Then, when you press shift+the hardware maximize button, you'll toggle the maximized state of any window including debian apps.

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-06-07 at 13:05.

The Following User Says Thank You to debernardis For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by qole View Post
I got all excited when summatusmentis posted an expanded icon .desktop file that included the line

... but OpenOffice still has no sidebar icon. Anyone know what the two lines he added are for?
By the way, did you notice that if you call synaptic with
Code:
sudo debian synaptic
you get a sidebar icon? But there is no synaptic.desktop under /usr/share/application/hildon so it's the .desktop file inside the chroot that's ruling.
There must be some fundamental difference in ooo, then.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
Originally Posted by debernardis View Post
By the way, did you notice that if you call synaptic with
Code:
sudo debian synaptic
you get a sidebar icon? But there is no synaptic.desktop under /usr/share/application/hildon so it's the .desktop file inside the chroot that's ruling.
There must be some fundamental difference in ooo, then.
I think Synaptic, Abiword, Gimp, and other Debian apps that have sidebar icons are better integrated with GTK+, the graphics toolkit used in OS2008. I've installed the ooo GTK package, but it doesn't help here.

Moderator | Posts: 7,109 | Thanked: 8,820 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Vancouver, BC, Canada
I installed the Debian beta3 version and I've discovered that it doesn't work as smoothly with my chroot scripts. In particular, the mpd (music player daemon) is installed, and it adds the mpd user. The users from the original install are overwritten by the default OS2008 users when you copy the /etc/passwd file in the chroot script, and then apt-get complains a lot that the mpd user is missing. I guess you need to purge mpd before copying over the passwd file.

Yeah, I'm using a modified version of the script that backs up the passwd and group files...

So I'll just put them back, but I have made no effort to install packages since then; I was just more cautious. (Because I'm using it for boot as well as chroot...)

Originally Posted by Benson View Post
...I have made no effort to install packages since then...
I can't stop installing packages. It's some sort of compulsion with me.

Maybe part of my compulsive apt-getting is that every time I do an
Code:
apt-get update 
apt-get upgrade
... it seems like a dozen central packages have been updated, including classpath and epiphany.

Yes, I deleted the mpd user. I thought it was some mistake of mine when I first installed the thing. Now I think that should be added to the wiki.

Concerning packages, did you have success with iceape? It crashes in my hands, but who knows...

Last edited by debernardis; 2008-06-10 at 17:58.

No, iceape is a no-go here too. It would have been nice, though, wouldn't it?

Gecko based browser news: Minimo and Icehamster have Zaurus Debian ports. They install fine with "dpkg -i <package.deb>" in my Debian chroot, and they both run. I think Icehamster is better than Kazehakase. Neither of them do flash or java, however. I still think I've got something set up wrongly. I wish someone else was working on this.

The ArmEabiHowto page has two new repositories for your /etc/apt/sources.list
deb http://simplemachines.it/debian armel-sid/
deb http://simplemachines.it/debian armel-experimental/
The armel-experimental repository, in particular, is interesting because it contains the iceweasel package! It is Firefox 3.0. It installs xulrunner-1.9.

Put those in your /etc/apt/sources.list, run
Code:
apt-get update
apt-get install iceweasel
iceweasel
Aaannd... It runs! Hooray! Full-blown Firefox 3.0 running on the NIT! Is that another first for me?

EDIT: It looks like it uses the Gnash and Java plugins. We now have in-browser Java applets.

Last edited by qole; 2008-06-10 at 19:47. Reason: In-browser Java and Flash

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to qole For This Useful Post:

Tags
chroot, debian, easy debian