Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by ravelo View Post
There is a video on indiegogo showing a prototype in action.
The video is not clear on how the mechanism works. There's only one short peek of the rails and it is not very enlightening.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to juiceme For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
That's the real name, Astro Slide? Cause I'm imagining dropping my, uh, Astro Slide all the time due to very slippery fingers.

Looks cool in pictures, though.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to robthebold For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
Originally Posted by juiceme View Post
Does anyone have a picture showing the underside of the opened device; how is the sliding mechanism actually working? Can it be robust enough?
This was part of one of the indiegogo video,
https://youtu.be/xQVB9A2mujM?t=73

your welcome
Attached Images

Last edited by xman; 2020-03-31 at 05:16.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
I saw it too looks kind of interesting. That is what made me get my old N900 out and dust it off. Just can't figure which apps equate to something I might find on Android like email and some of the normal apps one might need.

Thanks,
Bob

The Following User Says Thank You to rootytooty For This Useful Post:
Posts: 562 | Thanked: 1,732 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ NYC
rootooty, what are normal apps?

I don't think the n900 ever been about apps really. More like the device you can modify to fit your needs. Just need to do more work. Which can be a turn off or turn on depending on your the use case

x

The Following User Says Thank You to xman For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Does it stop after sliding, like N900?
And only hinge out after another push? (so we might have two end positions to use?)

Or is is one move/position only?

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by xman View Post
Video of the design:
https://player.vimeo.com/video/401654073
I think this shows the mechanism nicely, technical and usage POV.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nonsuch For This Useful Post:
You are correct if one is familiar wit Linux it makes it easier. I am not that familiar so I needed to be able to cross reference what apps I am familiar with with what is Linux. Like I said I didn't realize my N900 was so slow. It takes minutes in some cases to complete an act of some kind.

The Following User Says Thank You to rootytooty For This Useful Post:
I backed it, then asked for a refund after I read up a bit on their past campaigns. Their reputation for supporting previous devices (Gemini, Cosmo) is just ****.

Supposedly they completely dropped support for the Gemini at this point, and while some backers are still waiting for their Cosmo to be delivered they went ahead and started a new campaign for the Astro. I've seen this behaviour before by another company during another campaign I backed on Kickstarter (for a watch), it's not good. Often means they don't have any money left and hope to raise money with a new campaign.

From what I've read software wise the Cosmo is left with Android 9 full of bugs (much less polished and adapted for landscape/hardware-keyboard than FxTech Pro 1 for example), and they've just released an alpha-quality version of Linux with KDE Plasma with all kinds of random crashes and drivers not working just last month. I think they won't get everything working either, seeing as the Cosmo (and the Astro as well) is based on a closed source Mediatek SoC, and I doubt they'll be able to get the drivers for it, and if they do, they need to get them working under Linux, which I doubt even more.

So, at first sight it all looks good, but looking at the current state of the Gemini and the Cosmo, I don't dare to risk my money, then wait for at least a year, and likely be disappointed with an unfinished product.

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to ThomasAH For This Useful Post:
Thanks Thomas,
Good information. I don't know if they will refund my money or not. If not I will just have to try to sell it. The Pro1 looks like a more usable device and don't have to open it like the Cosmo.

I have two Gemini one WIfi and one with sim card. If I get the new Pro 1 and like it I might just sell the others.

Thanks,
Bob

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rootytooty For This Useful Post: