Posts: 86 | Thanked: 362 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Paris / France
I'm not sure I understand why we can't solve the problem the same way as it has been done with n810 : just move the root filesystem to the large device and use something like Fanoush boot menu.

That was the first thing I did after unpacking my new n810, and now I've got a 2GB root filesystem (and no ugly symlinks or modified debs).

So let's go for a 32Go (minus swap) ext2/3 root filesystem, or split it between ext&vfat if you really want windows compatibility with USB

Last edited by eber42; 2009-09-30 at 17:38. Reason: missing word

The Following User Says Thank You to eber42 For This Useful Post:
Well, if that is the case, 256mb still seems to be a very small partition. There should be an option in Maemo itself to let the user reconfigure manually the size of this partition.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
Relax, guys. It's not going to be a big deal and yes, I'm sure some of our more enterprising community members will decide to do things differently and pass on their efforts to you if the partitioning really does end up being a big deal for some reason.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by eber42 View Post
I'm not sure I understand why we can't solve the problem the same way as it has been done with n810 : just move the root filesystem to the large device and use something like Fanoush boot menu.

That was the first thing I did after unpacking my new n810, and now I've got a 2GB root filesystem (and no ugly symlinks or modified debs).
There is no reason why you couldn't do that on a N900. However, if it was the first thing you did with your N810, you probably didn't notice that the original root flash is significantly faster than the internal MMC Also, there are several reasons why you don't want to be swapping on the same card on which your root is on.

Posts: 3,105 | Thanked: 11,088 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Mountain View (CA, USA)
I'm sure it's been said somewhere but the canonical reference is http://wiki.maemo.org/Documentation/...opt_and_MyDocs

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to qgil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 543 | Thanked: 181 times | Joined on Aug 2009 @ Universe,LocalCluster.MilkyWay.Sol.Earth.Europe.Slovenia.Ljubljana
I'll definitley be one of the enterprising people that will modify the emmc partitions to better fit with what I consider standard layouts(as in FHS)

The Following User Says Thank You to ruskie For This Useful Post:
That's the smartest way to do it. If you happen to need more than 2 gbs for apps, just use this option to extend the apps partition using memory from the 32gb internal.
This seems to me the most logical way to solve things, if indeed you need different partition for the linux apps

In any case, the 256 MB (and not mb, millibit) is a compressed filesystem, it can take a lot more than what it seems to. And the applications are much smaller than your desktop variants, Nokia likes to automatically remove the documentation part etc. etc.

I haven't yet filled the NAND in my N800 and I believe I have installed just about everything of interest, the major difference from some other folks around here is that I haven't installed any of the multi-media applications (canola etc.).

And, as has been said already, you're free to organize things differently in any case. And a common way to do this is also in planning[1], so there just is no reason to panic at all.

[1] Check the link in post #15 above.

The Following User Says Thank You to TA-t3 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by attila77 View Post
However, if it was the first thing you did with your N810, you probably didn't notice that the original root flash is significantly faster than the internal MMC.
Are you sure about that? Even if the physical underlying flash is faster, the internal NAND goes through ECC and compression (JFFS2), so it is unlikely to come out faster in the end.

Both benchmark tests and subjective impression of the boot times suggest to me that the internal MMC is faster.

Also, there are several reasons why you don't want to be swapping on the same card on which your root is on.
That might be so, but since practically every computer in the world does that, and at least one issue for hard drives (seek time) is irrelevant for flash memory, I expect it is not really a great problem.

I think every user of the N900 should move the root to the 32GB, if only for backup. That way, even if you somehow mess your system until it is unbootable (and let's face it, if it is a computer then everyone will do that once in a while), you can still boot from the NAND, and have a working phone.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Matan For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,319 | Thanked: 5,610 times | Joined on Aug 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by Matan View Post
Are you sure about that? Even if the physical underlying flash is faster, the internal NAND goes through ECC and compression (JFFS2), so it is unlikely to come out faster in the end.

Both benchmark tests and subjective impression of the boot times suggest to me that the internal MMC is faster.
No, I didn't mean the physical flash, but the process - compression does not necessarily slow you down (if you can (de)compress faster than you can read/write, you're actually better off). When I discussed some loopfile-related projects with Nokia folks it has been suggested that they *did* benchmark it and the internal flash was significantly slower. I would reference it, but it was in an off-list reply so for now you will have to take my word for it unless the original author chimes in

That might be so, but since practically every computer in the world does that, and at least one issue for hard drives (seek time) is irrelevant for flash memory, I expect it is not really a great problem.
Actually, no. Flash is good at big, continuous reads and writes, but a lot of small parallel operations can bring it to it's knees with regard to overall performance. Try starting a larger Qt app on a cloned setup and you'll se the problem - it will read the Qt libs from the card and as it takes up memory start to swap on the same card, resulting in abysmal startup times and several seconds of total unresponsiveness.

This is also one of the main reasons Qt and Python are not optified in Fremantle - so they would not be on the same device as the swap.

Tags
rootfs, space, speedy deletion candidate