Kinda shameless bump, but...

If anyone would like to have N900 with USB port soldered down, but is afraid to do so and/or don't think it's feasible to sent it forth&back to someone, I got 3x N900 with port already soldered for sale:
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84174
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 58 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ philippines
Originally Posted by dr_frost_dk View Post
Usual Tips on being good to your USB

File down you USB cable's hooks.
Be gentle with your N900 when using USB:
- Don't swing it around (no matter how good the music is)
- Don't drop it on the floor.

Attachment 22216
NOTE: File is for reference only, any metal file will do

--------------------------

Just adding a quick guide of what to do when making the soldered version.

When you get to the USB after taking of the MicroSD "off" then clean the area beside it, now use what ever you have to scratch of some of the paint (i used a small screwdriver). just scrape it of like it is drawn in the pictures.
Now you should have some exposed copper on each side of the USB, you need to keep the soldering iron on here with solder applied before it "gets a grip" and while you do this hold the iron up against the USB metal, and add solder here to, you need to warm up the USB a little or else the solder will be "cold" soldered and then this fix will be useless because the solder will not really hold on to the USB.
As for the cover, try to assemble the mainboard into the cover and see if it lines up with the hole in the cover, you can press a little down over the USB as when the N900 is assembled the screws hold the whole thing down, so again try to see if it fits before you mod the cover, this is the step that can take the most time in this fix.

Attachment 22212
Attachment 22213
Attachment 22214
Attachment 22215

--------------------------

Please PM me with the links i don't find, im searching through threads, but you may remember some, or you might have made some.

hi i have a simple solution for that, no need to put anything on the micro usb,only thing i have seen to make some bends of the both sides small metal,please check the board now,the function of that is to prevent to pull out the usb is very simple

bullsh|t Not true.

Even if You prevent port from coming out of socket mechanically, pressure on soldered pins will make them break/bend. What you're proposing is just a placebo.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
@dr_frost_dk
hi man really thanks for this thread !.
i have 2 charges the first one is safe (done your trick with it ) but it is not charging well when i put my hand on the device it disconnect charging and recharge instantly so i cant use my N900 with this one i cant even move it because of that.

the second one (the unsave one ) i can use it while walking without the charger disconnect ??

so is there any risk if i used the second one but plugged/unplugged it carefully ?
thanks
./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Originally Posted by sifo View Post
@dr_frost_dk
hi man really thanks for this thread !.
i have 2 charges the first one is safe (done your trick with it ) but it is not charging well when i put my hand on the device it disconnect charging and recharge instantly so i cant use my N900 with this one i cant even move it because of that.

the second one (the unsave one ) i can use it while walking without the charger disconnect ??

so is there any risk if i used the second one but plugged/unplugged it carefully ?
thanks
./sifo
shouldn't this be in the battery thread?, why does the 1 disconnect?, is it like mine with the cheap DX diy charger?
and please reply in the battery thread to keep things neat an on topic

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 1,292 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Tartus.Syria
sorry i didnt expect im in the wrong place ! but i thought this is related to here because i tried to do that trick but thanks anyway.

./sifo
https://www.facebook.com/ZoRk7

mr frost you are a brain stormer i like your projects

The Following User Says Thank You to mr-loh For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,503 | Thanked: 2,688 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ Denmark
Just fixed ConiKost's N900 by strengthening the USB, in the process i finally took some proper pictures and have updated Post #2 to get a better guide, and also a very good picture of why the USB is so "Weak" to begin with

The Following User Says Thank You to dr_frost_dk For This Useful Post:
I attempted to fix my damaged USB port yesterday following Dr_Frost_DK's guide, convinced that the problem was with the housing that was detached on one side.

To make the port work the cable connector requires constant downward pressure so the connector is at 5-10 degree angle when charging the N900 on a flat surface.. up to this point I had a make-shift repair without the use of a soldering iron by putting a wad of electrical tape between the housing and the PCB for the SDCard in order to put enough pressure on the housing to hold it against the board, so it was reasonable to assume that the problem charging/connecting was due to this.

I'd hoped soldering the housing to the board would resolve this, but after following the guide and successfully securing the housing to the board, I'm still encountering the problem of holding the cable at an angle in order to make it work, except now it requres a weight on the connector to hold it where it will work because the housing is now solid

The only way i can charge this properly is by USB cable.. if i try a charger, it thinks it is charging but is getting no voltage, discharging to the point of being unable to start until I can coax some power into the battery
By getting Mass Storage to detect on the PC, I then know it is receiving voltage and charging.

Anyone been able to successfully resolve this problem?
Is there a way to resolve this myself by removing the USB port shielding and checking the connections?
Or is this one where I need to buy a new port and have it professionally fitted?

Hey,

Anybody know anything about this? http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=84716

I think its worth a new thread so please answer in there