I am using a 16 gb black Nokia N9 and i have installed quite alot of apps on the device. Just recently, i bought Angry Birds from the Nokia Store and it failed to install saying that there wasn't enough memory. I check Settings>Device>Memory and it shows that i can only use 4.2 GB to install apps. How come it does not make use of the full 15.72GB? I don't really need 9.5 GB of user data. Is there anyway to fix this?

Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
Not really. The majority of your storage area is in a large FAT32 formatted block. It's formatted this way so you can plug your N9 into your PC or other devices via USB and allow that device to see the N9 data (FAT32 is a universally readable file system).

While the applications and OS must reside on an EXT2 or EXT3 linux formatted file system. This is required if you want to set executable permissions on files so they can run. This is required of Linux applications and not possible under FAT32.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post:
Moderator | Posts: 6,215 | Thanked: 6,400 times | Joined on Nov 2011
is there anybody who can guide on how to increase the app storage and app memory from the fat32 partition.

I have a 64GB N9 and my app storage is still limited to 4.2GB. Kind of limiting I think.

I started a thread here:http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=79977
But didn't find a solution .
However I found this but I don't test it yet :

Originally Posted by kuzmichov
To begin with precautions:
1. Make sure your computer is protected from changes nyapryazheniya and power outages.
2. Make sure your phone is charged.
3. Need experience with partitions
4. It may deprive your phone warranty!
5. If something goes wrong, you have every chance to get a corpse.

Let's go:
1. Need N9 64Gb
2. We need a PC with Linux. The virtual machine will not work.
3. loads the "service core." This is described here.
4. Put yourself KDE Partitionmanager. Find it in search of a center applications. On Ubuntu it just is. Why him? Because it works with EXT4-partitions without losing data.
5. Run it in normal possible only through the terminal on behalf of the root:
Code:
sudo partitionmanager
6. click on our phone menus on the left. It will be submitted as a single unit. Not three!
7. In the right half of the window there will be sections of our phone.
8. Alternately, click on our section, right click and select unmount
9. are advised to make backup copies of each section. Well, you never know what might happen. To do this, click on t
he section, then on the menu at the top partition-> backup
10. And then Move / Resize dialog will cause in which we can define the position and size of each section. To build one, you reduce the other.
11. Your every action will not happen for real, until you click APPLY at the top left! On that every action can be undone!
12. If something went wrong, it's better to cancel and redo
13. Done? Click APPLY, check back again what should happen, then click OK
14. if it ended successfully, we obtain from your phone, cable, wait a few seconds, turn on him.
15. With a sinking heart, waiting for the appearance of signs NOKIA
16. We are glad

PS Correct my text if I'm not well-written manual. Sometimes used a translator!
http://my-symbian.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=43603

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to soleil For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,034 | Thanked: 784 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Annapolis, MD
There are some threads about those attempting to do just this on the N900.

It involves repartitioning and reformatting interndal data partitions, which is by it's very nature, a destructive act.

But it can be done in theory. I do it every day on Linux servers. But I don't have the balls to try it on my N9.

Maybe check here and see if any methods are to your liking?

http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=partition

The Following User Says Thank You to cddiede For This Useful Post: