Active Topics

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I just got my N810, and while I'm completely in love with it, I have a few build quality and build choices niggles that I was wondering if anyone else noticed.

1. The kickstand, compared to the N800, is flimsy. I'm deathly afraid I'm going to bend it or break it or something silly. Do you feel as though it's gotten worse?

2. I'm completely annoyed at the new latch mechanism for the battery door. It's in the way of the kickstand, first of all, and it's a huge pain in the butt to use.

3. When you shake your tablet, can you feel the battery moving about? The battery door definitely doesn't attach as securely as the N800 did.

Posts: 479 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
No issue with the battery door aside from the fact that it's loose and annoying.

The kickstand has served me fine, and while it probably won't stand up (no pun intended) to someone sitting on the tablet while it is propped up with the kickstand, it seems to be sturdy enough for daily abuse.

My battery certainly doesn't move about. As a matter of fact, I find that my battery is wedged in so tight that I need to use a small screwdriver to pry it out when I'm swopping.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by rcadden View Post
1. The kickstand, compared to the N800, is flimsy. I'm deathly afraid I'm going to bend it or break it or something silly. Do you feel as though it's gotten worse?
The kickstand of the N800 is a bit thicker. But the N810 one seems quite solid as well.

2. I'm completely annoyed at the new latch mechanism for the battery door. It's in the way of the kickstand, first of all, and it's a huge pain in the butt to use.
How often a day do you change battery? Other people need to open this latch at most once a year, and for that it's OK.

3. When you shake your tablet, can you feel the battery moving about? The battery door definitely doesn't attach as securely as the N800 did.
Not at all. The battery door of my N810 attaches very securily and doesn't move a bit, unlike the battery door of my N800.

Posts: 3,404 | Thanked: 4,474 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ Germany
Originally Posted by ghoonk View Post
As a matter of fact, I find that my battery is wedged in so tight that I need to use a small screwdriver to pry it out when I'm swopping.
Not on my N810. I can easily pull out the battery. But on my N800 I need to use a small screwdriver to pry it out.

Actually the only thing I don't like is the feel of the buttons on the front for swapping and going back. Those buttons to me feel flimsy and like I will break them soon.

Posts: 472 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Texas
I've yet to find a complaint with any of the buttons, actually.

Posts: 1,674 | Thanked: 171 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Anderson, IN
my battery and door was loose , for the battery i used a small strip of black scrapbooking foam that has a sticky back , keeps it wedged in nice and tight. and as for the battery door , i put doublesided scotch tape in all four corners layered up , 3 layers i think... and this solves the looseness problem. the one thing i hate that i can do nothing about is how the keyboard isnt uniformly lit , the top row of keys is always brighter and the "p" key is brighter than all the rest and a bit of light shows around the edges of the key. to me little things like this and especially the battery door and the kickstand were designed/constructed a step beyond...(or below...lol) half-assed and piss poor.

For those with battery removal issues. Take a small piece of cellotape (about 6cm will do), fold one edge of the tape over onto itself, leaving yourself about 2cm of sticky at the end. Now stick the tape to the underside of your battery (at the opposite end to the terminals), and curve the end over the battery to make a small handle to pull the battery.

Now if all of that made sense then you can insert the battery into your tablet and the tape will stick up around the battery, when you want to remove the battery just give the tape a tug and the whole thing will pop out .... no more small screwdrivers and no more smacking the tablet against your hand to pop out the battery.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Moby For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
I just got my N810, and while I'm completely in love with it, I have a few build quality and build choices niggles that I was wondering if anyone else noticed.

1. I don't find the kickstand to be flimsy at all. Plenty sturdy. I think that's a perception caused by size.

2. Agreed. I don't get that one.

3. Very, very slight battery movement in mine. No biggie for me. Battery door attaches very securely.

I found the kickstand SLIGHTLY more flimsy because I don't use the full angle: I use what was, on the N800, the full angle. The new full angle is for keyboard+kickstand use, which I don't personally understand, but more power to them!

The battery door is significantly harder for me to put back on, but I don't have any reason to remove it now that it's flashed.

The battery door rattles a little bit, or maybe it's the battery hitting the door. Not a dealbreaker.

The build quality so far kicks the crap out of the HTC slider touchscreen phones (TyTn, Mogul, TyTn II) that I've used.