Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Which means the original ETA of mid April, which was supposed to be generous, is not holding. Did not expect that...
Man, it's just all about waiting, with the Jolla apparatuses these days, isn't it?
What, you haven't got used to Jolla's definition of "soon" yet?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by bennypr0fane View Post
Which means the original ETA of mid April, which was supposed to be generous, is not holding. Did not expect that...
Man, it's just all about waiting, with the Jolla apparatuses these days, isn't it?
I think context is important here... the mid April statement was made before over reaching the goal of the project and adding more colours/options, so things obviously take longer.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,104 | Thanked: 5,652 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Holland
Originally Posted by ggabriel View Post
adding more colours/options, so things obviously take longer.
well no, keypad production is the bottleneck.. which is also the only component that we had no idea how long it would take.

now at workshop soldering keyboard pcbs

Last edited by dirkvl; 2015-04-07 at 09:23.

The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by dirkvl View Post
well no, keypad production is the bottleneck..
Thanks for clarifying Although I would have thought that with more units requested, this task would take longer

now at workshop soldering keyboard pcbs
Nice, I can't wait!

The Following User Says Thank You to ggabriel For This Useful Post:
Currently 48 TOHKBDs left in the shop.

When the time comes to assemble I will go in priority order mentioned before, funkyoh orders last. Like every other project, this is a batch process. So after the batch, no more.

I will have lot of spares left though, which means I will be offering TOHKBD in kit form, casings not included, some soldering and assembling.

The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,436 | Thanked: 12,699 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Ängelholm, Sweden
Currently 48 TOHKBDs left in the shop.

When the time comes to assemble I will go in priority order mentioned before, funkyoh orders last. Like every other project, this is a batch process. So after the batch, no more.

I will have lot of spares left though, which means I will be offering TOHKBD in kit form, casings not included, some soldering and assembling.
Do not forget about special developer and signature editions

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to coderus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by coderus View Post
Do not forget about special developer and signature editions
I never forget devs and signature edition looks awesome.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
I just had a look at the eagle schematics and board files and some questions arose:
  • "TOH Technical Specifications" from Jolla define some antenna keep out areas. The document says: "avoid anything else than pure cover plastic on those areas to keep antenna performance intact." If I understand the board layout correctly there are two ground layers covering these areas. Don't these shield the antennas?
  • VDD, SDA, SCL, INT and GND are directly routed from the phone to the contact surfaces. What happens when I have my Jolla with some metal (e.g. my keys) in a bag without the keyboard attached? These contacts are quite exposed and could easily be shorted. 3.3V output is switchable but I suspect it is turned on as soon as the back cover is in place and the corresponding software is installed and executed. SDA, SCL and INT use 1.8V level. Wouldn't 3.3V on that pins damage the phone? At least the EEPROM used on the TOHKBD can only manage VCC+0.5V resulting in 2.3V applied to its input pins according to a data sheet I found. Wouldn't this be damaged if SDA or SCL were shorted with 3.3V? I could not find any reference to a protection circuit inside the phone.

@dirkvl: If you plan on drilling the pad holes manually into your self made PCBs you should use 'drill-aid.ulp' to have small holes in the center of the pads. The thickness of the copper layer helps to keep the drill centered while drilling.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to deryo For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by deryo View Post
[*]"TOH Technical Specifications" from Jolla define some antenna keep out areas. The document says: "avoid anything else than pure cover plastic on those areas to keep antenna performance intact." If I understand the board layout correctly there are two ground layers covering these areas. Don't these shield the antennas?
Yes this is something I realized after ordering and soldering all the pcbs.. But in my use here I have noticed no issues whatsoever in signal strength, so hopefully in the less signal-generous areas this will not cause issues. But again, no signal issues on this side.

[*]VDD, SDA, SCL, INT and GND are directly routed from the phone to the contact surfaces. What happens when I have my Jolla with some metal (e.g. my keys) in a bag without the keyboard attached? These contacts are quite exposed and could easily be shorted. 3.3V output is switchable but I suspect it is turned on as soon as the back cover is in place and the corresponding software is installed and executed. SDA, SCL and INT use 1.8V level. Wouldn't 3.3V on that pins damage the phone? At least the EEPROM used on the TOHKBD can only manage VCC+0.5V resulting in 2.3V applied to its input pins according to a data sheet I found. Wouldn't this be damaged if SDA or SCL were shorted with 3.3V? I could not find any reference to a protection circuit inside the phone.
Check the connection detector sequence on the github, power is cut off when the keyboard is not connected. Should be fine!

@dirkvl: If you plan on drilling the pad holes manually into your self made PCBs you should use 'drill-aid.ulp' to have small holes in the center of the pads. The thickness of the copper layer helps to keep the drill centered while drilling.
Yeah I am just getting started, but there is already some drilling stuff in the gerbers.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dirkvl For This Useful Post:
Yes this is something I realized after ordering and soldering all the pcbs..
Damn! Well, you can't think of everything. I hope I too won't see any less signal strength.

Check the connection detector sequence on the github, power is cut off when the keyboard is not connected. Should be fine!
Did that now. Only thing I can imagine to lead to a hardware fault would be to short GND to INT pad and also 3,3V to one of SDA/SCL at the same time. This could possibly damage your EEPROM and phone because 3,3V would be switched on for a short time when pulling INT to ground.

BTW: What PNP transistor do you use? I'd like to check the collector-emitter-voltage (I ended up making a small "simulation" using falstads electronic circuit simulator. The attached file can be opened with it.)

Yeah I am just getting started, but there is already some drilling stuff in the gerbers.
The drills/holes in Gerber files do contain the diameter that fits the THT device's pins. For manual drilling (without CNC) it's handy to etch a 0,1-0,3 mm hole in the copper layer so the drill centers itself. See drill-aid.ulp
Attached Files
File Type: txt TOHKBD-detection-circuit.txt (626 Bytes, 57 views)

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to deryo For This Useful Post:

Tags
keyboard, kickstarter, other half, tohkbd