Posts: 3,397 | Thanked: 1,212 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Netherlands
Originally Posted by mjc View Post
Does this mean the Gen 5 will be carrier crippled? If so, then I'm more then happy to get Gen 4 (N900).
If its open source you can uncripple it. You can also buy it not from a carrier.

Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
T-Mobile fears 'vi $XDG_CONFIG_DIRS/menus/${XDG_MENU_PREFIX}applications.menu' !

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to zerojay For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
It's interesting that this is running in a UK publication. Sounds like the US to me. Is Britain as backward as the US in terms of letting the carriers dominate, rather than making them provide dumb pipes and allow real competition?

Originally Posted by jaysin22 View Post
This sounds like a real dumb part on Nokia
I can understand why you say that but it's ultimately really dumb on the part of the networks and the government regulators.

When did you last have a PC rejected by your ISP because the ISP couldn't pre-install its own menus?

The networks are treating their customers like cattle here.

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
So, does this mean? Don't expect a carrier to subsidize the N900 or don't expect to be able to connect an unlocked N900 to a network? I can care less about subsidies... I have an N800 and a company cell phone. The N900 looks like a great integrated device combining all I want/need in a "mobile computer"! All I need is word from my company saying I can purchase my own phone and expense the monthly bill and I'm buying an N900. That is if I can get it hooked to a network (T-Mobile).

Originally Posted by cesman View Post
So, does this mean? Don't expect a carrier to subsidize the N900 or don't expect to be able to connect an unlocked N900 to a network?
It ultimately depends on how desirable the N900 is. If everyone wants an N900, at least one network will crumble and carry it without customisation, and if they do well then the others will feel pressure to follow suit.

If people don't want an N900 then the networks will feel no pressure to stock them.

Ultimately it's up to Nokia and Maemo fans to get the word out that this is something special.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to krisse For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,672 | Thanked: 5,455 times | Joined on Jul 2008 @ Springfield, MA, USA
Originally Posted by ysss View Post
It's interesting how they have to broadcast this fact now. I guess all carrier negotiations have ceased already and they're hoping to rally the interwebs to do some word of mouth marketing with "open platform vs carrier cartels" mantra of some sort.
But the carriers are arguing that you, the customers, are clamoring for them to subsidize and promote locked phones to promote innovation that otherwise would never happen without such locks and contracts.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post
I can understand why you say that but it's ultimately really dumb on the part of the networks and the government regulators.

When did you last have a PC rejected by your ISP because the ISP couldn't pre-install its own menus?

It's not dumb on their part. It's quite brilliant. What company doesn't want a captive customer base? It may be unethical and it may, in fact, be socially useless and maybe even harmful.. but it's certainly not dumb.

The dumb are the customers that are defending subsidization and contracts in the name of some bizarre form of the free market that I don't understand.

So, does this mean? Don't expect a carrier to subsidize the N900 or don't expect to be able to connect an unlocked N900 to a network? I can care less about subsidies... I have an N800 and a company cell phone. The N900 looks like a great integrated device combining all I want/need in a "mobile computer"! All I need is word from my company saying I can purchase my own phone and expense the monthly bill and I'm buying an N900. That is if I can get it hooked to a network (T-Mobile).
I'd rather get an N900 and just tether with a teeny little flipphone. Give.. me.. that. Subsidizing is silly.. ultimately, you'll pay more in the end for that phone.

Originally Posted by krisse View Post

Unfortunately, that argument is a bit of a red herring as when was the last time your ISP subsidized 50-100% of the purchase cost of your PC so that you could connect to their service? Just as with the PC you bought yourself can connect to the ISP without any specialized crap-ware or crippling, so can too an unlocked, unsubsized phone connect. It's when the provider is ponying up a subsidy that they insist on doing things "their" way. Which is unfortunate, but that's the reality of the situation.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
It has to do with subsidies, not locking out the device from connecting to the network.

The Following User Says Thank You to texaslabrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 819 | Thanked: 806 times | Joined on Jun 2009 @ Oxnard, Ca.
See this is why when i hear "we are not just a dumb pipe" from a carrier it makes my eyes red with rage. They don't want to allow "open source phones" on their networks with voip unless they can cripple/hinder them which is the only extent of their "we're not just a dumb pipe" involvement and then they expect some sort of cooperation? You gotta be kidding me!

If a toll booth operator were to insist you stop especially for him so he could let out the air in your tires and fill his water gun with piss and shoot it in your face then of course you are going to drive by him as fast as you can and just throw the change out the window at him or go through a different booth.
I mean they are causing the very problem that they are complaining about. They really need to start cooperating with mobile evolution.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aironeous For This Useful Post:

Tags
carrier, n900, networks, nokia v. cell carrier war, operator, telco