Notices

Hi!
Since I bought the n900 I experience choppy audio with SIP calls over wifi and sometimes over 3G - so I searched and found following bugs which seem to describe my SIP problems very close (https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=7302 and https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=6936).

Unfortunately even though the mentioned bugs should be fixed with PR1.2 I still have the choppy audio problem with SIP calls. I'm unsure if the bugs are realy fixed or if another component cause the audio problems.

To investigate this I installed syslogd and exported TPSIP_DEBUG=all and TPORT_LOG=1 (see the syslog output here: http://pastebin.com/sAEf0m7D) but I realy have no clue what causes the choppy audio. I noticed a problem with gstreamer (Internal GStreamer error: clock problem.) in the syslog output but don't know if this could cause such symptoms.

Let me say that I use SIP over wifi very often on linux with twinkle and with my old E60 without any problems.

What do you think - might this be a new bug or is the old bug simply not fixed or is it a misconfiguration on my side?

Last edited by jehan; 2010-05-27 at 12:16. Reason: wrong url

The Following User Says Thank You to jehan For This Useful Post:
Same problem here. With pr 1.1.1 it would start going choppy after 20-30 minutes. With Pr1.2 its worse, every 5 minutes it starts going choppy. If I put the call on hold and return its ok for another 5 minutes. Gotta say I'm a bit disappointed.

i can confirm this as well, the choppiness does exist in PR1.2 as well. My sip call became choppy after 15 minutes or so. Had to close the call and redial to get rid ofthis problem. Worth mentioning that i use g729 as the codec.

Last edited by rajil.s; 2010-05-27 at 12:07.

same here with skype, video calling seemed to solve the problem somewhat initially, but after 5 minutes it bacame choppy again. putting the call on hold and resuming it worked like a char, so it seems it the same probleam as the old bug.

ok I just wrote a comment for the bug 6936. please vote for it

I was asked to create a new bug report for the choppy SIP audio. Please vote for 10388 if you like.

Last edited by jehan; 2010-05-28 at 13:33.

The most compelling argument that this is not a wifi-issue is Rajil's comment #14:

I have done some testing over usbnet just to take "wifi" out of the picture.
The tests were done on a virgin centos 5.5 box with freeswitch. I made a call
to the voice mail number on the PBX. The call had a lot of pauses and voice
drops.

Unfortunately, tcpdump doesnt work for me with usbnet so i wasnt able to trace
any calls. I had other people calling the voicemail box as well (luke-jr,
timeless/Josh Soref, thanks to them) and they reported audio drops as well.
As it turns out, the realtime and pulseaudio adjustments I tried as noted in the bug report as a possible solution is not working well. Perhaps troubleshooting audio at 3am is not effective :-/

I have also tried placing all of the threads in use during a sip call into the same FIFO-scheduled/"-20" priority to provide them with the fastest round-trip response time and have the same result. What else might we try here?

I really like this phone, but i hate such "trivial" functions not work as it should. Skype calls for me are just too choppy.
Does fring work on n900 ?

Originally Posted by RDJEHV View Post
same here with skype, video calling seemed to solve the problem somewhat initially, but after 5 minutes it bacame choppy again. putting the call on hold and resuming it worked like a char, so it seems it the same probleam as the old bug.

Exactly, but i dont' want put my skype call on hold every 2 minutes. This is probably a pulseaudio problem.

Originally Posted by colchaodemola View Post
I really like this phone, but i hate such "trivial" functions not work as it should. Skype calls for me are just too choppy.
Does fring work on n900 ?
It looks like Fring supports SIP so yes... (HA!)