Notices

Does / should USB control work with the 810 ?

Like others, I don't want to use UKMP and would like a simple install of USBcontrol that works on the 810. (I'm not a LINUX geek, just an early adopter/user). Thanks.

Walter

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
Wally & any other people wanting *just* the usbcontrol: Have you been using it already, if so, do you like it? Or have you refused to try it out because it's packaged with 200 k of ukmp + uktube?

Posts: 46 | Thanked: 2 times | Joined on Nov 2007 @ Lake Wobegon, Minnesota
Originally Posted by qwerty12 View Post
Download the ukmp deb, log on as root and type dpkg -x <name of ukmp deb> <destination dir>

The extracted dir has the structure of the file system in it, so just cd into the right places and move the right files. (In particular, the usbcontrol.py & usbcontrol.desktop) amd chmod +x the .py

Personally, I recommend & use UKMP.
If the op doesn't like this post, i'll remove it.
----------
I tried UKMP but it keeps locking up while scaninng my 500+ mp3 files. I will try it again as I really am not very good with xterm. Although if someone could email me the right files and where to put them I would be 3xtremely grateful. Not lazy but afraid of screwing things up. Thanks.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
I tried this out and it worked with a thumb drive the first time I tried it but I haven't been able to get it to work since . I tried reinstalling it with no luck. I even went so far as to reflash my device to no avail. Using the xTerm command (echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode) still works. Any ideas?

Originally Posted by konttori View Post
Wally & any other people wanting *just* the usbcontrol: Have you been using it already, if so, do you like it? Or have you refused to try it out because it's packaged with 200 k of ukmp + uktube?

haven't tried it yet, (only just seen this thread though).

sounds like yet another thing that should be included in the main os by default!

is there a chance of a standalone/simple installation version?

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Austria
Thanks konttori! Just ordering my USB adapter. A hint for folks living in german speaking countries: search for "usb adapter buchse a" or "usb gender buchse a". Took me a bit to figure this out.

I also add myself to the list of people who would like to have this decoupbled from UKMP, not because I don't like UKMP, but because it's nice to know what is what. Not a bit deal, however.

Posts: 3 | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ New Zealand
I too had success the first time with a thumb drive and have been unable to get it to work since the first time. Using the xTerm command (echo host > /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode) still works.

Many thanks Konttori for putting me on to the special adaptors though.

Posts: 129 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Dec 2007 @ Austin, TX
In regard to Canadian-Kiwi's and my own comments earlier, I read the other day that the problem of USBControl not working after reboot has been fixed. Apparently konttori doesn't reboot his device very often and therefore was unaware of the problem until is was brought to his attention by others. Anyways, I have updated to the latest release and not had a problem since. Thanks, konttori, for providing such a useful utility!

Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
Since USBControl doesn't work on the N810 I guess I'll go with the cable adaptor solution.

Originally Posted by MiBi View Post
Hi konttori,

i did not have any luck on my N810. Neither of my memorysticks (128 MB / 4GB FAT32) are recognized (Control-LED on Stick goes not on).

When i put usb host on, leave the application and start it again, there is always otg activated. I looked up the file /sys/devices/platform/musb_hdrc/mode and there was only b_idle written in it (also after activating host without leaving the app).

I even installed becomeroot just in case this would be necessary for any kind of write permission but no luck.

You have any ideas ?

Thanks MiBi

Kontorri

This is very cool indeed. I find that when I've finished using USBControl with a Dell USB keyboard, the stylus keyboard won't work until I reboot. I'm using an N800 with Chinook.

I also had a significant problem with gpe calendar when using the Dell keyboard to create gpe contacts. The birthday field in contacts isn't supported by the keyboard - once done trying, gpe calendar is not working - it seems to work but my data is all missing and new events do not appear when saved. I've backed up the calendar data using xterm uninstalled and reinstalled gpe calendar but no joy. I don't know if this is a USBControl issue or a gpe bug. I didn't find any similar issues searching the forums and bugzilla. I'll post this again under a gpe calendar subject line.

On the other hand, USBControl is just what I need to get all my contact data loaded into the N800. I really appreciate it.

Mark