Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 737 times | Joined on Nov 2005 @ Helsinki
New updated package of media converter has just been released!

Support for IT 2006 beta problems with video conversion for other resolutions except 352x208 and 352x288. Highly recommended for anyone using IT 2006.

Media Converter home page is located in:
https://garage.maemo.org/projects/mediaconverter/

Just open up the Files from the top navigation on the right. And then download the 0.97 update.

I've also in-between of thinking on how to make the install files, so, in the meanwhile, if you have media converter installed, just open up the zip and copy MediaConverter.jar over your exisiting MediaConverter.jar in your installation folder.

If you don't have a previous MC installed, copy mencoder file for you r OS to the encoder folder.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Hi,

Can you elaborate on the issues and what you've fixed so we can fix other people's encoders?

Does 2006 OS only support those resolutions you mention?

Other people have commented how good the Discovery channel video looks, out of interest, what settings is it encoded with? (framerate, video bitrate/resolution, audio sample rate/bitrate, colour depth etc.)

TIA,

Andrew

Ok, as soon as I tested first videos on IT 2006, they looked splendid! Resolutionwas 352x288. Framerate was flawless on even fast paced action. Thus I figured video processing is indeed much better. Also, when looking at the quality of the image for that resolution, it seems much better as well.

But immediately when testing any other resolution, except for 352xsomething, I wasn't able to play them. Why I asked. 352xsomething videos were played at half fps, so it could have be something to do with that. I tried 240x144 on that resolution. Bingo! worked.

Ok, now, it might make sense to think that it 2006 is no longer able to play high fps video. Not so. I tested with fps 24. Worked. Thus I added 1+1 and modified the code to explicitly place the original framerate in place (to the -ofps flag).

While I haven't had the time to do tests on whether it 2006 suports even greater resolutions than 352x288, nor testing whether full fps is achievable for that resolution, I must say that on the new it 2006, 352x288 is the way to go. It's absolutely beautifull. Even better than the discovery video on default install.

But remember to have good quality source video if you are looking to get good quality encoding.

Oh, yeah, forgot to mention that the discovery video is just 352x208 video. Nothing really fancy about that. The reason it looks so good is probably that the video itself is so great. Also, might be that they have saturated and added contrast a bit to any original material they had. I haven't checked the framerate, but I would guess 15 fps. Also, as to color depth, I would assume 24 bit, as there is only to loose in the video quality if you dither the image (well, you end up having to maintain larger framerate for the same result, as video has more complex details it has to try to encode).

Have a look at this 352x288 video to see why that resolution is the resolution proper for 770: http://www.helsinki.fi/~konttori/Med...x160sample.avi

konttori, you are probably the best person to ask...that I know of about this. Does that mean the video we've encoded before will not play on the 770 anymore? I haven't had any succuess playing them. Do we have to redo them?

Well, it seems like that now, although I've filed a bug that it 2006 should play those files, but for now, it seems that you may need to redo any files that you need before the actual it 2006 release. And it may be that they won't consider it as a bug but as a feature . Anyway, I'd convert everything to 352x288 anyway

Thanks, konttori,
It works great. I just converted the latest Doctor Who episode which was a 348MB 626x352 XviD file and it made a 192MB 352x288 file that played fine. I'm impressed.

konttori, could you be so kind and fix 'half frame rate' at 15, not at real half?
My problem is then i converted DivX video with 23.8 or 25 FPS (PAL standatrt) in result i'll get 11.9 FPS only, and it's looking like slide-show
Thank an advance.

Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
Given I think konttori implemented that at my suggestion: the problem with fixing it at 15fps is the down-pull from, say, 28fps results in a more jerky picture as the number of frames dropped differs from one resulting frame to the next.

It's easy to implement (in fact easier than down-shifting by powers of two to get it below 15fps) but the results are Not Good[TM].

The better option is to continue to lobby Nokia to make the video player capable of handling more real-world videos.

Cheers,

Andrew

The video processing has most definitely been improved. I just converted a file using a modified version of the mencoder command at the maemo wiki, dropping the framerate conversion. I changed

mencoder infile.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf scale=352:208 -ffourcc DIVX -ofps 15 -o outfile.avi

to

mencoder infile.avi -oac mp3lame -ovc lavc -lavcopts vcodec=mpeg4 -vf scale=352:208 -ffourcc DIVX -o outfile.avi

The resulting file is gorgeous on the 770 and plays at full (23 fps) framerate in windowed mode. In full-screen, it starts dropping frames and looks as choppy as the file converted with the converted discussed here. I'm about to try the same experiment with a lower bitrate and see if I can retain the high framerate in fullscreen.