Poll: Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!
Poll Options
Do you think its possible to overclock the N900?!

still strange that some work and some do not.. do we all have the same n900??? or is just tat there are some conflict of softwares/drivers.. intersting..

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
It's quite strange.
I loaded ver 44 yesterday - no reboot loops no stalling at ubooting.
I must have had rebooted some times, though I can't remember how many.
Today I turned off, rebooted, and uboot stalled as described by others.
No way.
I had to restore a backup made with backumenu, and now I'm testing again.

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
Originally Posted by ryo1st View Post
did u hold the "U" key before plug the USB?
that will enable Flashing Mode on N900.
Okay now I've found something strange which i've never encountered before when reflashing. I list them in points so hopefully it will be easier to troubleshoot or debug (anyone...? ):

1) The regular way of reflashing (i.e. run flasher3.5 -blahblah on Windows/Linux => power off n900=>press "U"=>connect USB)
does not work after upgrading to kernel-power v44 (+ uboot).
I've reflashed my device many times before without any issue and I believe I am already familiar with the procedure.

2) When connected to the PC usb port, the weird thing is both windows and linux (debian under virtualbox) cannot recognise the device
- device manager (windows): reloads once but no device seems to be detected
- dmesg:
[ 121.812147] usb 1-1: new high speed USB device using ehci_hcd and address 2
[ 122.367779] usb 1-1: New USB device found, idVendor=0421, idProduct=0106
[ 122.367779] usb 1-1: New USB device strings: Mfr=34, Product=38, SerialNumber=0
[ 122.369731] usb 1-1: Product: Nokia USB ROM
[ 122.369731] usb 1-1: Manufacturer: Nokia
[ 122.384473] usb 1-1: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
[ 122.400697] usb 1-1: can't set config #1, error -32
[ 123.164786] usb 1-1: USB disconnect, address 2

there . This has never happened to me when doing reflashing before.

3) At first when the device reboot into uboot
the screen backlight is on,
but after leaving the device off for a whole night, there was no more backlight but a dim screen when powered up again.

4) I can still see the tiny-teeny words on the uboot screen. Here two things happened:
- if I just leave it running, boot stops at "Starting kernel" forever;
- if I press any key as per the uboot onscreen instruction, I get a prompt, but it's no bash (well of course...) or any regular shell so I don't know what commands I can use here. Is there any "help" file or things like for this build of uboot?

5) Charging seems to be working in my case, though, contrary to some other similar cases. The charging LED is on and the device feels a bit warm. But I don't know how to verify or measure charging in this situation.

Some questions and hunches:
1) It looks like the device is not actually bricked but simply gets stuck at uboot and cannot load the kernel(s) successfully.

2) It is not dead hardware-wise either as charging is still working.

3) As so far I haven't succeeded in reflashing the device, is it feasible to set up a multiple boot environment on the device and work around the problem?

4) Or is there any other way to rescue the system besides reflashing?

5) I was just installing everything from the ground up after messing up the rootfs and did not install backupmenu or make any backup, so how can I nuke the whole thing and start afresh?

Please don't tell me this is no return ...

PS I have tried the Meego rescue initrd before, well it worked for me to rescue things in emmc and MyDocs, but this tim e it fails to break into the device just like the failure to reflash...

Last edited by 009N; 2010-11-11 at 10:30.

Posts: 176 | Thanked: 262 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Texas, USA
build44 has broken LED drivers. No RGB LED lights anymore.

Posts: 2,142 | Thanked: 2,054 times | Joined on Dec 2006 @ Sicily
Build45 is in extras-devel. Waiting for Titan for the changelog...
Thank you Titan for your strenuous work!

EDIT: installed ver 45 - the uboot penguin is there - system starts so far so good... now rebooting...

Last edited by debernardis; 2010-11-11 at 14:43.

Posts: 1,729 | Thanked: 388 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ Canada
recently and accidentally upgraded with maemo44.....i saw the penguin that some are having problems booting. i activated a command called *facepalm* but after 10 sec......i got the progress dots and the n900 asked for my codes.....voila! successful boot!

"The best way to break a Spell is to prevent it from being cast in the first place"

N900: 1000/1150mhz; sampling_rate 15; up_threshold 150000;

Posts: 118 | Thanked: 39 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Jakarta, Indonesia
changelogs of kernel-power are available in this link https://garage.maemo.org/news/?group_id=1528

for kernel-power 45 :
* revert to old binary u-boot image for now
* apply Paul Ferter's latest usbhost patches
* i2c battery patch by Matan to allow bme to start while bq27200_power module is loaded

https://garage.maemo.org/forum/forum.php?forum_id=6546

(eventhough i sometimes prefer to wait for others to try it and waiting for reports of problems, so i can decide whether to upgrade or not since i'm just a noob)

thank you titan

Last edited by adhrie; 2010-11-11 at 15:05.

Posts: 380 | Thanked: 459 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Slovenia
Originally Posted by titan View Post
For those who want a stable kernel: please stick to version power42 from extras-testing.
testing means: supposed to be stable. please test and vote (see http://wiki.maemo.org/Help_testing_software ) on http://maemo.org/packages/package_in....6.28-maemo42/

version >= power43 from extras-devel are highly experimental and include USB hostmode patches and u-boot. Do not install them unless you exactly know what you're doing.
If it doesn't boot, crashes or shows other issues (no audio etc) please report your configuration (OC, multiboot/Nitdroid/Meego etc installed?)
to Matan http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=869677&postcount=8
If your device got stuck in a reboot loop, flash the stock kernel with
Code:
flasher-3.5 -f --flash-only=kernel -R -F <firmware-image>
and to downgrade to power42
Code:
apt-get install  kernel-power-flasher=2.6.28-maemo42 kernel-power=2.6.28-maemo42 kernel-power-modules=2.6.28-maemo42
If you have fcamera and any version >= power40 installed, you also need the updated fcam-drivers.
Tried the downgrading code "apt-get install kernel-power-flasher=2.6.28-maemo42 kernel-power=2.6.28-maemo42 kernel-power-modules=2.6.28-maemo42" but my n900 says Version "2.6.28-maemo42" for "kernel-power-flasher" was not found..

Posts: 218 | Thanked: 59 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ spain
Originally Posted by gabby131 View Post
recently and accidentally upgraded with maemo44.....i saw the penguin that some are having problems booting. i activated a command called *facepalm* but after 10 sec......i got the progress dots and the n900 asked for my codes.....voila! successful boot!
Please, please, please...

Could you explain a little bit that so called "facepalm"???

Please, please, please...

And thanks in advance!

Posts: 152 | Thanked: 58 times | Joined on Oct 2010 @ void
What is it? It doesn't seem to be a command from uboot (enter help or ? or simply enter).

Tags
cooking on gas, cortex-a8, faster, first to fry it wins!, hardware, its smoking, n900, need for speed, need for weed, nos, omap, omap3, omap3430, overclock, overclocking, soc, system-on-a-chip, the dogs, this thread got good!, vtec just kicked in y0!, warranty will be void, whooplah, zoom zoom