Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
Originally Posted by kureyon View Post
The above is the only stuff that's needed, the rest that you listed are unnecessary distractions (and indeed Nokia had already attempted some of them in the form of the short-lived Ovi)

For me the Ovi Store payment system that Nokia had (ie charged to your phone bill) worked better for me because:

a) I don't want to use a credit card
b) I was able to buy pre-paid sims at up to 80% discount on the stored values and use those to pay for apps (which effectively meant I was able to get up to 5 apps for the price of 1)
True that. The payment system worked perfect for me too. I remember buying most of my apps via phone bill. I also wish it gets implemented in other services soon too.

April 26, 2015

"Nokia reaffirms it currently has no plans to manufacture or sell consumer handsets"

"Nokia reiterates it currently has no plans to manufacture or sell consumer handsets."

http://company.nokia.com/en/news/statements

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
I have been told that Finland has a long tradition of paying via your phone bill stretching to long before smartphones or even camera phones were even invented. I heard that more than 15 - maybe even 20 - years ago you could use your phone to pay for such services as an automatic carwash. Can someone from Finland confirm?

With such a background, no wonder Nokia implemented it in their app store.

Posts: 1,974 | Thanked: 1,834 times | Joined on Mar 2013 @ india
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94722
should do it
ovi store repos packages could only be downloaded manually for now

Posts: 1,038 | Thanked: 3,980 times | Joined on Nov 2010 @ USA
Originally Posted by ste-phan View Post
I am still waiting for Commodore to enter the smartphone market
http://sleepingelephant.com/denial/w...one_better.jpg
I'm waiting for Atari.

Posts: 646 | Thanked: 1,124 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Espoo, Finland
Originally Posted by pagis View Post
April 26, 2015

"Nokia reaffirms it currently has no plans to manufacture or sell consumer handsets"

"Nokia reiterates it currently has no plans to manufacture or sell consumer handsets."

http://company.nokia.com/en/news/statements
They should explain that "mobile phones now are like rubber boots to us"

Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by minimos View Post
They should explain that "mobile phones now are like rubber boots to us"
Nokia's roots. They used to make rubber boots before they turned completely, forgot about them and started making mobile phones. History repeats itself.

Community Council | Posts: 4,920 | Thanked: 12,867 times | Joined on May 2012 @ Southerrn Finland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
I have been told that Finland has a long tradition of paying via your phone bill stretching to long before smartphones or even camera phones were even invented. I heard that more than 15 - maybe even 20 - years ago you could use your phone to pay for such services as an automatic carwash. Can someone from Finland confirm?

With such a background, no wonder Nokia implemented it in their app store.
I'm not sure if it was 20 years so, but indeed it has been available for some services for really long time.

Posts: 180 | Thanked: 180 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ New Delhi, DELHI, INDIA
and here, folks are testing payments via NFC and what not? Why is this not available today?

So true.
(Dates have been rounded, obviously)

200,000BC: First people needed clothes.
199,000BC: Then spears.
198,000BC: Then bags.
190,000BC: Then boots.
8,000 BC: And before you know it everyone had a house.
7,000 BC: Then was furniture, kitchenware etc etc.
6,000 BC: Afterwards it was slaves.
4,000 BC: Now we had steel, and steel swords, making us apex predators against lions, bears, elephants
3,000 BC: Let's not forget the humble writing (paper/papyrus/pencil/pen).
A lot of minor inventions here, but collectively major advancements in civilization.
1700 AD: The next best thing was bicycles (if you didn't have a mare or horse or carriage).
1800 AD: And then it was having a lightbulb and power source.
1910 AD: Then it was cars.
1920 AD: And then it was radio.
1930 AD: And then the mighty television (and colour in 1970 and VHS in 1980).
1999: Then millions of small brilliant innovations later... we got the Nokia 3315.
2000: Came soon was the PS2 (250nm) with an unbelievable controller, graphics, and DVD player compatibility to keep us sane.
2001: The next big thing was a desktop computer with a +1.5GHz Pentium III (130nm), 64MB graphics card, 256MB RAM, 20GB HDD, and a 768p display. Ofcourse it had Windows XP, DVD burner, and Cable/ADSL connection to make us insane.
2011: Fast forward a bit, and the next best thing is the superphone starting with the iPhone 4, HTC One X, Samsung NOTE, Pantech Vega 6, and NOTE 3.

So look up there and be proud.
As long as you have your Nikes, Modern Clothes, Shoulder Bag, Spear*, Toyota Corolla*, HTC One X/iPhone 6* and a little furnished Loft with a Laptop, TV and PS2*... you will be all right.

I wonder what the next best thing will be. Otherwise, we might revert back to slavery.
(* or better like a GLOC, VW Golf R, PS4, SGS6/6+)

edit: Thanks, its fixed now. I did mean MB and not GB.

I'm flattered

Last edited by Kangal; 2015-04-27 at 12:39.

Tags
nokia, nokia mobile