Posts: 3,139 | Thanked: 8,156 times | Joined on Feb 2013 @ From my Gabriola Island hermitage, near the Edge of the World
hum...
seems like a sales pitch to me ...

your name isn't John S. Chen by any chance?

Owner of :
1-n770 (in retirement), 3-n800's / 3-n810's (still in daily use), 5-n900's ((3 are flawless, 1 loose usb ( parts), 1 has no telephony (parts))
3-nexus 5's : 1 w/ Floko Pie 9.1 (running beautifully) waiting for Stable Droid 10 rom, 1 w/ ̶Ubuntu Touch, 1 with Maru OS (intend maemo leste when ready)

1/2 - neo900 pre- "purchased" in 2013. N̶o̶w̶ ̶A̶w̶a̶i̶t̶i̶n̶g̶ ̶r̶e̶f̶u̶n̶d̶ ̶p̶r̶o̶c̶e̶s̶s̶ ̶l̶a̶s̶t̶ ̶f̶e̶w̶ ̶y̶e̶a̶r̶s̶ - neo900 start up declared officially dead -
Lost invested funds.

PIMP MY N8X0 (Idiot's Guide and a video walkthrough)http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94294
THE LOST GRONMAYER CATALOGShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ight=gronmayer
N8X0 VIDEO ENCODING THE EASY WAYhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php...ght=mediacoder
242gb ON N800http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=90634
THE PAIN-FREE MAEMO DEVELOPMENT LIVE DISTRO-ISO FOR THE NOOB TO THE PROhttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=95567
AFFORDABLE MASS PRODUCTION FOR MAEMO PARTShttp://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=93325

Meateo balloons now available @ Dave999's Meateo Emporium

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to endsormeans For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,790 | Thanked: 5,718 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ Vienna, Austria
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
It seems I'll need to buy a new phone is some more or less distant future, so I'd like to gather the opinions.

Suppose your old N900 is bricked. Which one would you choose and WHY? Don't forget the price differences

I cannot give you any advice. I can, however, tell you why I chose Jolla in the end:

Buy another N900?
Mine is still in working condition, it only feels out of date these days. I love it for its UI and its hardware keyboard, but really, after I have experienced the last update to Symbian, the N9 and even Android, there's no way I'd be content with the N900 as my main phone. So this one option was out of the question for me from the very start.

The Neo900?
I'm very interested in this project, it has all the ingredients of a phone that would proudly wear the label "free". I have to admit, though, that I'm somewhat pessimistic about their progress. Also, there's a huge difference between a technically working phone and a consumer product that's a joy to use. Even if the team considers their work done, there may be unforeseen issues with hardware and software. My fear is that it'll end up being a very capable device able to run whatever distribution you throw at it... if you tweak this and patch this... but none of them Good Enough™ for everyday use. Also, quite frankly, I don't want to wait if its not clear what I'll get in the end.

Why did I choose Jolla?
They have a working product when Neo900 still is a promise. It's a lot faster than my N900. Yes, there's still things that the N900 can do very well and the Jolla can't... But the Sailfish UI is exceptional, really great, and the Android compatibility layer they use was the thing that finally convinced me: I'm used to being a lonely wolf and not using mainstream products, I'm used to not having all these nice little apps that people are so fond of... but, hey, now I can have the best of both worlds. I can install the banking application that will never be available for Fremantle, Harmattan or SailfishOS and still not be tied to Google.

Price tag? Oh well, it's only money.
No seriously, you get a Jolla phone today for €249. Remember what we paid for the N900 or the N9 when it was new?

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to benny1967 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by endsormeans View Post
hum...
seems like a sales pitch to me ...

your name isn't John S. Chen by any chance?
Aha, I guess it almost is a sales pitch - it ticks most of the boxes at a reasonable price. Plus the OS is fun to use.

Hoping Jolla will be even more fun though (when it arrives on Tuesday!).

The Following User Says Thank You to From Vertu with Love For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Well, for my N900 I paid 180-200 EUR

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oslo, Norway
I'm back, have two phones now, a Jolla and S3 Cyanogenmod

The Following User Says Thank You to smartypants For This Useful Post:
Posts: 41 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Oslo, Norway
I understand I need to get updated on all the drama here.

now I need to get Jolla to behave the way I want to

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartypants For This Useful Post:
Posts: 6,445 | Thanked: 20,981 times | Joined on Sep 2012 @ UK
Originally Posted by marmistrz View Post
Well, for my N900 I paid 180-200 EUR
When? I've had four N900s pass through my hands since June 2012 (three of them still in my hands) and the most I've ever paid for any of them was £95. That's about €120.

Last edited by pichlo; 2014-11-02 at 10:20. Reason: Added, "since June 2012"

The Following User Says Thank You to pichlo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 3,328 | Thanked: 4,476 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Poland
Originally Posted by pichlo View Post
When? I've had four N900s pass through my hands since June 2012 (three of them still in my hands) and the most I've ever paid for any of them was £95. That's about €120.
Guess it was June 2012.

In Poland new N900s never came below 175 EUR, iirc

Projects no longer actively developed: here

The Following User Says Thank You to marmistrz For This Useful Post:
n900 is the king.

n9 is the queen

Jolla is the princess.

Neo900 is the knight wannabe.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
BB10 is way better than any option, imho

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ibrakalifa For This Useful Post:

Tags