Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
As we all know, in order for the N900/N9 to accept an external charger, it requires the D+ and D- pins to be shorted. I am hoping to avoid having to butcher some poor cable and join the + and - pins on it, and would rather do it on the battery charger itself.

I have come across a problem. On the actual circuit board end, I have soldered the plus and minus pins of the USB port (see attachment), just done the one for now. The Nokia N9 continues to ask for Mass Storage / Sync and Connect. The Nokia N900 however, does not, and it charges normally. Used the same cable for both too.

Ideas? Or do I have to sacrifice a cable, which isn't ideal.
Attached Images

Posts: 1,067 | Thanked: 2,383 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Finland
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83519&page=2

Alter flex adapter, that way your cable says in tact.
Disclaimer: all my posts in this forum are personal trolling and I never post in any official capacity on behalf of any company.

I had the same problem, so I used female adapter and put the right usb. Which it is dc female adapter. It has a lot of loops u could find it on ebay or any cellular store.
Attached Images

Last edited by allawi; 2013-05-19 at 00:33.

Posts: 183 | Thanked: 98 times | Joined on Mar 2011 @ Brisbane, Australia
Originally Posted by rainisto View Post
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=83519&page=2

Alter flex adapter, that way your cable says in tact.
Yeah I was looking at that, I may end up doing something like that if I can't get this to work, just means one extra item I have to carry along on my travels.

edit: just shorted D+ and - of a spare cable, and it charges without any problems. Maybe there is something on the battery charger end that is causing the N9 to still think there is a signal for D+ and -, even though it is shorted there.

Last edited by Storm_11; 2013-05-19 at 08:35.

Originally Posted by Storm_11 View Post
Maybe there is something on the battery charger end that is causing the N9 to still think there is a signal for D+ and -, even though it is shorted there.
How about the 4 resistors right next to the pins you shorted ? :-) (retorical question, btw)

Remove those, or cut the lines going from the resistors to the 2 middle (data) pins.

I've done this several times, worked perfectly every time.

To summarize: The 2 data pins should be connected to each other, and _only_ to each other.

Last edited by LinuxCub; 2013-05-19 at 23:04. Reason: Further clarification

Community Council | Posts: 664 | Thanked: 1,648 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Hamburg
Is there no dumb (shorted D+ and D- pins) wall charger with low current?
I'm on the hunt for one <500mA for overnight charge in order to preserve battery from gereral wear.
Current Maemo Community Council member