Notices

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Something like Vollee(streaming a full version of the client from a server over 3G) would be possible, but a lot less likely then if we can actually run sl *on* the N900 which does seem do-able, but it would need to be heavily modified to support the N900 better.

In Vollee's case we'd need a company with access to fast internet and lots of servers capable of running sl and down-resing it for the phone.. That seems kinda unlikely to happen again, at least it does to me.

Was interesting to hear such a thing as Vollee had even existed, that was news to me. Too bad they never got the WoW-support out before folding. :P

How well did it work with Second Life?

Originally Posted by Apoc View Post
In Vollee's case we'd need a company with access to fast internet and lots of servers capable of running sl and down-resing it for the phone.. That seems kinda unlikely to happen again, at least it does to me.
Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath but things are moving in that direction a bit on the desktop now that OnLive & co. are being hyped so maybe it might find it's way back to mobile too.

Posts: 73 | Thanked: 79 times | Joined on May 2009 @ Virginia
Originally Posted by slux View Post
Was interesting to hear such a thing as Vollee had even existed, that was news to me. Too bad they never got the WoW-support out before folding. :P

How well did it work with Second Life?

Yeah I wouldn't hold my breath but things are moving in that direction a bit on the desktop now that OnLive & co. are being hyped so maybe it might find it's way back to mobile too.
Vollee worked, however if you complained about lag on the PC client you were doomed on the vollee client, but you had access which is more then most promises made so far.

As for OnLive, whatever happened to that promise of coming soon in winter 2009?

Posts: 1,107 | Thanked: 720 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Germany
Originally Posted by dandiesel View Post
Now that the Vollee system is no longer functioning we are without SL mobile.

Maybe this? Mobile Grid
Or this ? Sparkle IM

Could be ported. Even SLim...preferably not though.

For those in need of chat on the go, use Ajaxlife through your web browser.

We can live in hope.
If anyone here uses sparkle client, start a topic on http://GetSatisfaction.com/genkii to discuss N900 option. Iphone and Android users are already represented there.

If still interested you might want to check http://slxslchat.slx.cc/

This guy's written a client that allows in-world chat via a text interface and done it in two parts, a transport that does the communication and a front-end user interface.

I am guessing it's not too difficult to get the transport running on the N900 so this then becomes a nice little project in creating a UI.

Also, it seems the transport doesn't have to be on the same machine as the UI, so if you have a server on the Net somewhere you could run the transport on that and keep the N900 component nice and light.

Could be a good fast way to get a sparkle-style app running on the Nokia.

Posts: 1,522 | Thanked: 392 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ São Paulo, Brazil
search Youtube for "N900 Naali" (no quotes), not avaible to the public yet but seems promising

Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by r0eladn View Post
they still havnt renamed it to "first life"?
I'm even more surprised it hasn't been renamed "No Life"
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

The Following User Says Thank You to silvermountain For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I'm even more surprised it hasn't been renamed "No Life"
I'm pretty sure you're thinking of WoW

btw, for a text only client, you can try http://textsl.org , it's made for the visually impaired but if you can see you can use it too. It works kinda like a MU*

I saw this on the TV show The Office and I didn't actually think it was real... but I would love to have it on my N900.

Tags
compatibility, games, opengl, second life