Hello folks,

I am a newbie with my Internet Tablet Nokia 770.
I got it at the beginning of last week.

While I was not sure if I could really use it, I am glad that I did choose it now.

The last two days and nights I spent to set up OS2006 and OS2007HE on my device.

I want the configuration just as follows:
OS2007 in flash and on MMC
OS2006 on MMC

I started by installing OS2006 in flash.
Then I set up my MMC with 4 partitions.

I copied OS2006 successfully to /dev/mmcblk0p2.

Then I installed OS2007HE in flash.

Then I copied OS2007HE to /dev/mmcblk0p3.

I modified the initfs_flasher Bootmenu.conf.

But when I choose the Bootmenu entry for OS2007HE on /dev/mmcblk0p3 (ext3??) I get an error, that the system cannot be loaded and it boots from flash.

What is the trick to get the thing started from /dev/mmcblk0p3?

I searched the forum and maemo archives but I am kind of lost.
Please help.

Thanks in advance.
Best regards,
-Adrian

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Have you gotten it worked yet? I am interested.

bun

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
I have no problem booting from the mmc with ext3 (different partition too).

only thing you need is change the bootmenu.sh in the fanoush's initfs_flasher dir before flashing the menu. Make no mistakes though

For instance booting ext3 from partition 2:

MENU_3_NAME="MMC card, partition 2, ext3"
MENU_3_ID="mmc2"
MENU_3_DEVICE="mmcblk0p2"
MENU_3_MODULES="mbcache jbd ext3"
MENU_3_FSTYPE="ext3"
MENU_3_FSOPTIONS="noatime,data=writeback"

if you want to boot from partition 3 - you need to change the device to mmcblk0p3.

If you make a mistake - boot from flash and reflash with the correct menu. If you made a bigger mistake (i don't know if the device will continue to boot if bootmenu.sh has incorrect syntax), use the fanoush's flasher bootmenu image to put on the correct menu

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by adrian142 View Post
But when I choose the Bootmenu entry for OS2007HE on /dev/mmcblk0p3 (ext3??) I get an error, that the system cannot be loaded and it boots from flash.
Perhaps you did not format the partition as ext3 (journaling version of ext2) but just as plain ext2? Example bootmenu.conf uses ext3 just as example so you know proper syntax. If you wish to use ext2, change lines
MENU_x_MODULES
MENU_x_FSTYPE
MENU_x_FSOPTIONS
for your third partition to be same as second partition.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
only thing you need is change the bootmenu.sh in the fanoush's initfs_flasher dir before flashing the menu. Make no mistakes though
it is better to create separate bootmenu.conf just with menu definitions, do not edit bootmenu.sh directly as it is easier to make some unwanted mistake there. it is also relatively safe to edit it in-place in /mnt/initfs/bootmenu.conf without reflashing (unlike with whole bootmenu.sh)

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
If you make a mistake - boot from flash and reflash with the correct menu. If you made a bigger mistake (i don't know if the device will continue to boot if bootmenu.sh has incorrect syntax), use the fanoush's flasher bootmenu image to put on the correct menu
It may be good idea to backup initfs.orig.jffs2 and initfs.bootmenu.jffs2 crated by initfs_flasher to card or PC so you can recover it later with nokia linux flasher over USB when something goes wrong and device does not boot to the menu.

If in-place editing of bootmenu.sh (i.e. directly in /mnt/initfs) results in corrupted/truncated file (can happen due to how jffs2 works when free space is low, that's why having separate bootmenu.conf is better idea) you may try to hold escape key instead of menu key early on boot, this skips reading/using bootmenu.sh altogether.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Didn't know about the escape key, 10x