won't nokia publish stabel OS 2007 for n770?

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
Originally Posted by ballotum View Post
won't nokia publish stabel OS 2007 for n770?
Sure. Right after they produce the "n770".

blabla n770 == maybe('nokia 770');

Posts: 3,220 | Thanked: 326 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ "Almost there!" (Monte Christo, Count of)
blabla n770 == maybe('nokia 770');
Allright then: What do you consider "stable"?

Allright then: What do you consider "stable"?
Well, we could start with: "A device that doesn't crash several times a day."

Why so cranky Karel?

Originally Posted by boblinds View Post
Well, we could start with: "A device that doesn't crash several times a day."

Why so cranky Karel?
Because you essentially asked a meaningless question. I personally know of only one (useful) computer program that is totally stable and bug-free: TeX. There might be others, but you can bet your sweet unmentionables that no modern operating system is totally stable. In fact, the only reason TeX is stable, is because it only does a few, selected things (it does them very well, mind you).

So, instead of demanding a stable O/S (which is bollocks), you could have asked a useful question, like: "Is <insert most loathed bug> still present in the latest incarnation of ITOS2006/ITOSHE2007?"

Now, if your 770 crashes several times a day, one might start by asking if it always crashes when using a particular application, or if those crashes are truly random. If the latter is true, it might be a good idea to return it to sender for fixing; unless you were one of the earliest adopters or are living in an uncivilized part of the world, your warranty should still be valid.

If it's the former, well then don't use that application anymore.

i was just wanted to ask the hacker edition based firmware not about unoffical softwares
i already crashed my app manager so i cant delete / install any soft

Sounds like you've got a problem if your device is crashing several times a day. I can't say I've ever had that happen, maybe a program shutting down from time to time, but that's about it.

i was just wanted to ask the hacker edition based firmware not about unoffical softwares
i already crashed my app manager so i cant delete / install any soft
Well, Application Mangler is excrement, on any version of ITOS. Have you considered a reflash?

[Sidebar to the forum: Isn't it sad that users of a Linux device should be so regularly advized to basically do the Windoze shuffle and reinstall?]

Posts: 643 | Thanked: 628 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ Seattle (or thereabouts)
Originally Posted by Karel Jansens View Post
Well, Application Mangler is excrement, on any version of ITOS. Have you considered a reflash?

[Sidebar to the forum: Isn't it sad that users of a Linux device should be so regularly advized to basically do the Windoze shuffle and reinstall?]
I don't always agree with you...but I definitely agree on this. One of the biggest reasons I initially switched to Linux is because I was fed up of inexplicable Windows 95 errors and the voodoo concerned with "fixing" them ("Now, sacrifice a live goat while rebooting and holding F8"). One of the things that keeps me on Linux on the desktop is that when something goes wrong (and only n00bs and zealots will claim Linux is perfect) there are clear error messages and copious logs to read. I understand that space is a concern on the NITs but it might be nice to see more verbose error messages and maybe a small /var/log/messages. Grrr...Makes me want to package up syslogd...

The reason that people are constantly told to reflash is that it's probably simpler than helping them dig through the system and find what's missing/b0rken, *especially without proper error messages/logs*

-John