Notices

Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by cashclientel View Post
well said.

Angry Birds Level Pack 2 would be the best thing ever.
The best thing ever would be that people started being nice to each other

However, Angry Birds seems to be updated soon and new levels will be available:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...1&postcount=42

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Posts: 663 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ London, UK
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
The best thing ever would be that people started being nice to each other
But how does that benefit me? AB Level Pack 2 on the other hand...

@KoolMoeDee Enable the devel repo and download Numpty Physics. It's really good and will keep you busy for a few days. One of the few apps I've seen on the N900 that I'd classify as a 'professional' standard (like angry birds, gweled). And for the record that is another passive agressive dig/whinge against nokia, the n900, ovi store, et al.
Nokia are a business and have chosen a path of using the OSS community phenomenon to reduce their overheads specifically after sales support and development. Unlike Apple who do the opposite and make a killing from their Applications store.

Posts: 635 | Thanked: 282 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Black Mesa Research Facility
Why can't there be more levels for Bounce, hm? I don't see any problems! This lazyness from Nokia dn other comapnies regarding the N900 is getting on my nerves. I don't want a zillion stupid games, I just want a few good ones.

Because Rovio doesn't want to make them?

Well the real reason (I'm guessing based on the same reasoning other companies aren't making apps for Maemo is). There's not enough users to justify the cost.

Think about it, how many N900s out there. We know the minimum is around 100k based on what Nokia's released. Now compare that to how many Android or iPhones are out there. If you were a company/developer interested in profit, would you spend time and money developing a game that could only sell to that 100k audience? And remember, not everyone may buy it.

Sidenote: This is why Meego and Symbian 3's success with QT compatibility is needed if Meego/Symbian 3/and N900s running Maemo ever want commercial apps enjoyed by Android and the iPhone.

The reason why you see Angry Birds from Rovio, is because it's already created for another platform. The iPhone. They just have the port the code over, and it's not as hard as writing it from scratch.

Now backto Bounce. I believe Nokia paid Rovio to make the tech demo for the N900. But unless Nokia pays Rovio to finish it, you won't see anything else of it since it's not just a port of the game on another platform.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-07-02 at 20:29.

Posts: 577 | Thanked: 699 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Malta
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Because Rovio doesn't want to make them?

Well the real reason (I'm guessing based on the same reasoning other companies aren't making apps for Maemo is). There's not enough users to justify the cost.

Think about it, how many N900s out there. We know the most is around 100k based on what Nokia's released. Now compare that to how many Android or iPhones are out there. If you were a company/developer interested in profit, would you spend time and money developing a game that could only sell to that 100k audience? And remember, not everyone may buy it.

Sidenote: This is why Meego and Symbian 3's success with QT compatibility is needed if Meego/Symbian 3/and N900s running Maemo ever want commercial apps enjoyed by Android and the iPhone.

The reason why you see Angry Birds from Rovio, is because it's already created for another platform. The iPhone. They just have the port the code over, and it's not as hard as writing it from scratch.

Now backto Bounce. I believe Nokia paid Rovio to make the tech demo for the N900. But unless Nokia pays Rovio to finish it, you won't see anything else of it since it's not just a port of the game on another platform.
The N900 sold 100,000 in the first five weeks. I am guessing it is about 300-600k sold.

The Following User Says Thank You to pantera1989 For This Useful Post:
Oops I didn't mean at most. I meant at minimum. Thanks for the catch.

But yeah, the point stands, the marketshare of the N900 is way to small to attract any commercial attention. And unless Meego and Symbian 3 REALLY take off. I'm afraid it's a nail in the coffin since Android already exists.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Tags
3d games, bounce, games, maemo, nokia n900