Active Topics

Moderator | Posts: 5,320 | Thanked: 4,464 times | Joined on Oct 2009
I got the Zagg screen protector only and am very happy!
Didn't see the point in a full body protector as i already have a nice case (otterbox commuter series)

Because of the rather large design of the N900 already, I think I'm going to just use a pouch-type case, just to stop dust and scratches.

I just use one of those ones you put your sunglasses in, with a draw string.

Or, can anyone else recommend a pouch case, that I might be able to get hold of in the UK?

Thank you.

Posts: 1,986 | Thanked: 7,698 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Dayton, Ohio
Originally Posted by Dead1nside View Post
Or, can anyone else recommend a pouch case, that I might be able to get hold of in the UK?
I've just picked up a PDAir vertical-pouch case for my N900. The thing I really like about this design is that it has no flaps, no fasteners, no moving parts at all; it's really just a strip of leather folded in half with some sturdy webbing holding the two sides together. I haven't been using it for very long, but so far it does just what I want -- holster and protect the phone at my belt without getting in my way.

As to whether you can find it in the UK, though, I have no idea. I ordered mine off Amazon, and ended up having it shipped to me from Hong Kong...
Attached Images

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Posts: 752 | Thanked: 284 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ Malaysia
Originally Posted by Copernicus View Post
I've just picked up a PDAir vertical-pouch case for my N900. The thing I really like about this design is that it has no flaps, no fasteners, no moving parts at all; it's really just a strip of leather folded in half with some sturdy webbing holding the two sides together. I haven't been using it for very long, but so far it does just what I want -- holster and protect the phone at my belt without getting in my way.

As to whether you can find it in the UK, though, I have no idea. I ordered mine off Amazon, and ended up having it shipped to me from Hong Kong...
Ha ha! I just ordered mine through Amazon.com yesterday. Free international shipping as well!

Copernicus, how's the quality of the pouch? I ordered mine with the belt clip. I wanted to get the book type leather case but cancelled it last minute as I think the N900 is already thick and bulky enough.

I read the vertical pouch has vinyl inside. Will that be a concern for the N900? because I don't have any screen protector on. Well, I should get mine mid March, I'll update more when I get it.

Originally Posted by Joseph.skb View Post
Copernicus, how's the quality of the pouch? I ordered mine with the belt clip. I wanted to get the book type leather case but cancelled it last minute as I think the N900 is already thick and bulky enough.
Ah, this thing is industrial strength. The leather looks like it will last longer than the phone will, and I know the belt clip will. That piece of leather-covered steel is so tough I can barely pry it apart far enough to get it onto my belt. The only thing I kind of worry about is the webbing holding the leather together; it seems to be some sort of elastic material, so I suspect it won't last as long as the rest of the case. It's a tight enough fit now, though, that even if the elastic starts to stretch with age, I figure it will still work pretty well as a holster.

I read the vertical pouch has vinyl inside. Will that be a concern for the N900? because I don't have any screen protector on.
Ok, well, yeah, that may be a problem. I do have a screen protector on mine, and I do worry that if I didn't, the screen might just get scratched. The pouch grips the phone tight enough that even if the vinyl interior isn't tough enough to damage the screen, any large enough bit of grit wedged between the two surfaces could cause a problem. (Although I suppose this would be an issue with any container that you slide the phone into and out of...)

Well, I should get mine mid March, I'll update more when I get it.
Cool. I've certainly been more comfortable walking around with the phone since I got mine. Works perfectly so far!

The Following User Says Thank You to Copernicus For This Useful Post:
Thanks for the recommendation Copernicus. Does it add much bulk to the phone?

I've found it on Amazon UK, it also ships from Hong Kong, it's £19, quite pricey, but if its good I'll consider it. Like Joseph.skb I'm also interested in hearing more about the lining.

I guess you can still listen through headphones with this case?

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the above reply Copernicus.

Last edited by Dead1nside; 2011-02-23 at 00:43.

I've found it on Amazon UK, it also ships from Hong Kong, it's £19, quite pricey, but if its good I'll consider it. Like Joseph.skb I'm also interested in hearing more about the lining.

Thanks.

Edit: Thanks for the above reply Copernicus.
I doubt about the bulk issue from the pictures we've seen on Amazon, it looks just nice. Also, the price seems ok for the quality Copernicus described, plus, you'll get free shipping.

By the way, about the headphones, (again) I saw the picture on Amazaon and really got me wondering. I seriously think we will insert the phone with the headphone jack downwards. I feel it makes more sense with the pulse indicator facing upwards in case we need to check messages/calls etc.

Copernicus: how do you feel?

Well, it's about as slim as you can get for one of these things; it's really just a strip of leather folded around the phone, with a belt clip attached to one side. Not too bad.

Yes! Since the top of the pouch is left open, just insert the phone with the headphone jack pointing up, and you're good to go. (You can even still work the volume buttons, something I didn't expect: the elastic webbing at the sides is so thin, you can easily press the buttons through it.)

Also, the price seems ok for the quality Copernicus described, plus, you'll get free shipping.
I don't have any previous experience with PDAir products, but as far as I can tell, the build quality does seem to be worth the price...

By the way, about the headphones, (again) I saw the picture on Amazaon and really got me wondering. I seriously think we will insert the phone with the headphone jack downwards. I feel it makes more sense with the pulse indicator facing upwards in case we need to check messages/calls etc.

Copernicus: how do you feel?
Well, I have normally been putting the phone into the case with the indicator facing upwards, as you suggest. (Part of this is because I'm using a lanyard with my phone, and while I can easily stuff the phone + lanyard together into the case, I'm still a little nervous about pushing the elastic too much.) Most of the time, though, the phone is down on my belt, so I don't look at it anyway; I'd have to tell if a call or message came in by sound or vibration, rather than through the led. So it probably doesn't matter which side is facing up...

Very Nice!!!

I just got my PDAir N900 Pouch (with belt clip) delivered today - ordered through Amazon.com!

Very nice quality and workmanship - with soft leather (supposed to be genuine leather outside).

Fits the N900 very well. The fit is perfect if you have the screen facing outwards / USB charger side downwards in the pouch (because the camera shutter protrusion balances with the belt clip assembly). But I prefer to have the screen face inwards which I feel is not a big problem.

I recommend this for anyone who wants to get a pouch for the N900. There is also a version without the belt clip if you just want a good quality pouch/holder.

Here's a pic - taken with A Better Camera
Attached Images

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Joseph.skb For This Useful Post:

Tags
accessories, accessory, case, gear, holster, n900, pouch, protection, screen protector