Borreltje, type in "top" without the quotations into the terminal (x-terminal).

I'm testing this myself, so far 4 hours from odd charger. Battery is down to 3/4th indicator. No CPU eating processes I can see are running (though top won't list drivers that are in use or not). WiFi shouldn't be powered on since I rebooted the N900 before testing and it's been using 2.5/3G from since then.

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Originally Posted by siperkin View Post
Hi Bugelrex,

Why do you have 30min update set on Nokia Messaging? I assuming that you have automatic update set for Nokia Messaging, I don't think that it is needed when using messaging, I have it disabled as messaging is push mail and shouldn't need an update timer, messaging is working fine like this and only push/retreiving.my mail between 8am-12pm. I'm not suggesting that this is the cause just a possible way to reduce power consumption a bit more.
I actually have it set this way to save battery. From my experience using the E71 and Nokia Messaging, the battery drained about 20% more using push v.s a 30 min interval.

I'll change the setting next week to see if the N900 handles it differently regarding battery.

Posts: 87 | Thanked: 27 times | Joined on Nov 2009 @ Germany
I have a similar problem. N900 charged over night, got unplugged this morning 4am and I went off to work with it. Listened to some music (starting at around 5am). Around 6:30 I noticed my battery went down to nearly 50%. I did nothing else than listening to MP3s with the headset. Something I often use my N900 for, there have never been such an impressive power drain. I checked if I had any applications open, but it was only the media player for MP3.

Anyways, I pressed the power button, selected "Offline" mode and hoped the drain might stop. But that didn't do the trick, around 7:30am I stopped MP3 listening, battery was down to almost 20%. I closed the player, remained offline but after another 30 or 45 minutes the battery low sound catched my ears, battery down to 10%.

I got back online to make a last phonecall, which didn't even last four minutes (three at best!) before the phone shut down. Too bad today was the first day where I even forgot my power-charger at home... so no phone or communication for me.

So basicly my N900 managed "impressive" five and half hour battery life today, under medium use at best. Under similar conditions, it usually lasted around 10-12 hours.

My phone is currently recharging, but I updated to the new firmware yesterday evening, so I guess it might be a problem related to the update.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
I have several processes that seme to run without being opended and after a fresh reboot. I have no cions or widgets on my desktop ATM and still have the following open.

1. Two browesd tasks open taking 17% of space
2. Tracker will run for over one minute taking upto 90% of cpu with it

The device scrolls through apps better, but the battery is lasting less for me as well.

Originally Posted by Taigatrommel View Post

My phone is currently recharging, but I updated to the new firmware yesterday evening, so I guess it might be a problem related to the update.
If you were not using wifi, can u add your details to this bug:

https://bugs.maemo.org/show_bug.cgi?id=8004

Hopefully dev can find some pattern or hints to the root cause. Its quite disappointing as I explicitly avoided wifi because of the wifi-battery bug and now there's another unavoidable battery drain bug ready to pounce..

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
Originally Posted by Laughing Man View Post
Borreltje, type in "top" without the quotations into the terminal (x-terminal).

I'm testing this myself, so far 4 hours from odd charger. Battery is down to 3/4th indicator. No CPU eating processes I can see are running (though top won't list drivers that are in use or not). WiFi shouldn't be powered on since I rebooted the N900 before testing and it's been using 2.5/3G from since then.
OK, I did, here's a printscreen, what should I be looking for??

Last edited by Borreltje; 2010-01-15 at 15:55.

Originally Posted by Borreltje View Post
OK, I did, here's a printscreen, what should I be looking for??

Look at the @CPU category. Though nothing seems out of order in that picture.

Update for me: A little below 3/4th mark, it's now 12:50 so it's been off the charger for about 6 hours. This includes minor usage (web browsing, feedingit updating during my 30 minute lunch) and gchating to girlfriend for about 30 min (not during lunch) but before work.

Edit: Around 1:50 PM I stopped and started charging it. Battery life was at 47-48% remaining. I've pretty much remained connected to 3G since arriving at work. My testing is not on a "new" N900 as in factory fresh (nothing installed).

"Meamo!" sounds like what Zorro would say to catherine zeta jones... after she slaps him for looking at her dirtily...

Last edited by Laughing Man; 2010-01-15 at 18:55.

Posts: 22 | Thanked: 14 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ The Netherlands
I know, nothing has changed in my using the phone, just the occassional phonecall, push-email on my exchange 2007 server, and a little internet.

but since the update yesterday the battery runs empty in a hurry.

Posts: 226 | Thanked: 63 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Maldives
The easiest way to actually test if a firmware related bug is causing any problem is to have a fully formatted/flashed (both the firmware and eMMC) device. In such a complex piece of technology anything could go wrong. It could very well be firmware issue or incompatibilities with a software addon etc. Using the device for a day or two with just the basic package would help in the diagnostics.

I seem to have this issue too... my n900 after the update can't last through a single day of usage anymore and i use to at least be able to get 16-19 hours before getting down to 30%...