Wow 11 pages so fast, skimmed the first few. But has anyone else noticed how big the screen looks? (Or how relatively large it is compared to the buttons?) Looks like N800 sized.

I'll definitely come crawling back for more from Nokia if this is what we get!

Also as an aside, any chance Maemo reps will be compatable with MeeGo out of the box? (Assuming the libs are all ported?)

Originally Posted by IzzehO View Post
Wow 11 pages so fast, skimmed the first few. But has anyone else noticed how big the screen looks? (Or how relatively large it is compared to the buttons?) Looks like N800 sized.

I'll definitely come crawling back for more from Nokia if this is what we get!

Also as an aside, any chance Maemo reps will be compatable with MeeGo out of the box? (Assuming the libs are all ported?)
boy, just get a screen dot pitch like n900 or iphone 4 then the image would scaled down to 3inch or less. it should be compatible because apps are either in qt or gtk, cmiiw

don't want to drive this thread off topic but i must argue that nokia should be more secretive about upcoming devices and ux. first it will drive copying from competitors (not the ux, but the idea). and second it will repell off those potential buyer thinking that they'll wait because if they buy now their device will obsolete before even a year

Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
After what I've seen, this UI is derivative of many bits and pieces that clearly have Nokia DNA. They've not tipped their hand at all, imho.

In fact, all they've accomplished was a show that they are working on something that might be worth the wait. From Bada to iOS to Android Gingerbread... those UI's are pretty much set in stone in so many different ways that Maemo/MeeGo wouldn't use.

And besides, the Moblin, now MeeGo for tablets has been out in plain view for ages.

Posts: 1,169 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ sunderland
each 'leaked' preview of meego makes me less likely to buy into it, why nokia couldnt just get maemo5 right before moving on to meego totally baffles me!

The Following User Says Thank You to leetut For This Useful Post:
From what I can see Nokia are re-writing the whole UI, and probably most of the underlying s/w again and probably most of it from scratch as well.

As a s/w developer this is really not a good sign - Maemo5 was really good, it just needed some polishing and a nicer slimmer/package.

I'm afraid that after 6 months once we have a Nokia meego device it will fail to deliver, and Nokia will then jump onto another platform without thinking, CEO will step down and the whole cycle will start again.

They should stick to meego and make it very very good, thats the only way they will actually make a comeback.

The Following User Says Thank You to rash.m2k For This Useful Post:
Guest | Posts: n/a | Thanked: 0 times | Joined on
Out of curiosity, why would you say it's not a good thing?

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Posts: 145 | Thanked: 237 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ Helsinki
Originally Posted by rash.m2k View Post
From what I can see Nokia are re-writing the whole UI, and probably most of the underlying s/w again and probably most of it from scratch as well.

As a s/w developer this is really not a good sign - Maemo5 was really good, it just needed some polishing and a nicer slimmer/package.
For any other project you'd be right, but Nokia has a really good reason for switching to Qt. The rewrite shouldn't make us doubt their competence.

Posts: 999 | Thanked: 1,117 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ earth?
Originally Posted by jnwi View Post
For any other project you'd be right, but Nokia has a really good reason for switching to Qt. The rewrite shouldn't make us doubt their competence.
Yeah but QT was part of the PR1.2 update and the existing UI is more than adequate.

There is no reason to rewrite a new UI in QT unless you want to use the "cool" new library.

You could still rewrite the UI( in QT) in maemo without throwing everything else out and starting again.

Posts: 417 | Thanked: 182 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ At your mom's house, with my feet up!
Not to be too off topic here, but I was a bit hoping for something like the touchscreen tablet UI. Not that the one from the video was bad, but the tablet one kinda knocked my socks off. The handset one just makes me wanna smoke a doobie and build a lego death star.

Any word on that Meego tablet release date?

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to optimistprime For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by devu View Post
It's definitely something I was expected from MeeGoo. The current version is like polished Symbian but how the GUI looks like is not so important as how its behave or how flexible it is for developers/designers.

Design as we know can be always improved changed by theme designers. I am fairly sure somebody here can do something similar with Theme on N900 very similar to that. IF flexibility of GUI let them unify certain elements of it. Because the biggest concern about maemo5 is there is lack of consistency if you look at of some of your widgets on the screen everything looks like telling you different story.

In this case base on what I saw is just eye candy marketing bulshit and I am not getting it till i'll see how its functioning. Why this guy doing long pauses... intentionally? Waiting for processor to calm down to hide choppy behaviour?

Seeing is believing somebody said... NO THESE DAYS.

I have seen flash 10.1 on N900 months ago and what?...

Touching is a new seeing these days
I totally agree with you here. Seeing is believing.... All these is just eye candy. Reminded me of the Sony Xperia X1. Man was i sold on that interface only to find out it was Windows 5.1 (can't recall the version anymore) interface. Guess what that phone is doing now.... Any way this video clip reminded me of the sony xperia adds any NO i am not falling for this one this time. Like Bob Marley said, only time will tell.

PS: I really wonder how Android Gingerbread and meego will pan out

Last edited by cenwesi; 2010-08-03 at 13:00.

The Following User Says Thank You to cenwesi For This Useful Post:

Tags
aligatro == df