Active Topics

Notices

Hi everyone - I am switching to another wireless plan which throws in 30mb data per month free. I would get a bluetooth phone so I could connect to the internet through my n810 (right??). I want to maximize this, of course, so I'd like a way in MicroB or whatever browser to turn off images - is this an option? If not, is there a friendly text only browser I can use, not just a limited one because I'd like to ideally log into facebook and stuff as well.

Another somewhat related question - what's the best service (I use google maps currently) to get directions and maps on a low bandwith connection like this where I don't want to spend my 30mb? I'd imagine that using Google maps could eat up the 30mb really quickly!

Also, if anyone has any kind of idea how much 30mb of data equals in emails, IM, text only web browsing that would be great.

Originally Posted by stacia View Post
Hi everyone - I am switching to another wireless plan which throws in 30mb data per month free. I would get a bluetooth phone so I could connect to the internet through my n810 (right??). I want to maximize this, of course, so I'd like a way in MicroB or whatever browser to turn off images - is this an option? If not, is there a friendly text only browser I can use, not just a limited one because I'd like to ideally log into facebook and stuff as well.

Another somewhat related question - what's the best service (I use google maps currently) to get directions and maps on a low bandwith connection like this where I don't want to spend my 30mb? I'd imagine that using Google maps could eat up the 30mb really quickly!

Also, if anyone has any kind of idea how much 30mb of data equals in emails, IM, text only web browsing that would be great.
You can tell the builtin browser not to load images by clicking on the small magnifying glass in the bottom right and selecting: show images > only loaded or never

Posts: 177 | Thanked: 57 times | Joined on Aug 2007 @ Washington State, USA
You can also download links, a text-only browser.

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...9&postcount=15

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gogol For This Useful Post:
linux_author made an elinks binary, I have used it quite a bit and it works beautifully. Of course it works best with a keyboard. There's no reason to use linx when elinks works so well and supports much more, (though I could be wrong but I'm not aware of any way that linx is better than elinks).

Follow this link and download elinks binary for the NIT:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=131501&postcount=4

If you're not familiar, it's about as full featured and current a text browser as you'll find.

Imagine opening a new tab in the background and it doesn't jump to the foreground 4 times before it's useable... if you can. This behavior alone makes it so much faster and more pleasurable to use.

Joe.

Last edited by Justjoe; 2009-08-12 at 09:06.

The Following User Says Thank You to Justjoe For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,669 | Thanked: 2,555 times | Joined on Apr 2007 @ Halifax, Nova Scotia, Canada
elinks also supports a lot of stuff that standard links does not such as tabbed browsing and color.

Depending on the options that elinks was compiled with, it might even be able to do Javascript and BitTorrent.

I've never used the maemo package (if there is one) so I can't say for sure about those features being in the tablet version or not.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
I'd use tear and turn off the images, the java, and the plugins -- all of that is easily done, and easily undone, from the menu in the bottom right hand corner. With everything else off, this may be unnecessary, but I'd also add a hosts file, to block ads. Tear, by the way, is bloody fast. Links, on the other hand, is a bloody pain, I found.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
As for your maps, just download the maps you'll need, ahead of time, when you have a wifi connection, with MaemoMapper.

Help Save This Forum
for N8x0/Diablo Users! Register and Vote for Solution #1 on this Brainstorm. (The Solution will let you see New Posts with any threads you choose -- like the N900 and Maemo5/Fremantle threads -- filtered out.) (To understand the Solution better, see these posts #17, #18, and #19.)

Posts: 113 | Thanked: 13 times | Joined on Nov 2008 @ Darmstadt, Germany
there is another problem: you need to turn off the check for updates for your software that automagically happens as soon as the tablet goes online. dont know how to do that, though (too lazy to look )

Originally Posted by Justjoe View Post
Follow this link and download elinks binary for the NIT:

http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p=131501&postcount=4
In case somebody is also interested in the most recent version of elinks (0.12pre5):
http://www.hetos.de/temp/elinks

It's just a straight build of the elinks source at http://elinks.or.cz/download.html. For the (default) build options used see features.conf file in the source package.

(I know that elinks is also available in extras-devel. But the version there is quite outdated and since then elinks got a few important bug fixes which I need.)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to iskarion For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Justjoe View Post
linux_author made an elinks binary, I have used it quite a bit and it works beautifully.
elinks sounds exactly what I am looking for, but I am a total linux beginner--my 3 day old n810 is my only experience. What do I do with binary files?