Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
which brings up the question about warranty. What if phone needs to go to the service and sailfish is flashed on it and there's no way to go back to android?
AFAIK you have already breached terms of Sony Warranty by unlocking it's bootloader: https://developer.sonymobile.com/unl...urboot-loader/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aspergerguy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by aspergerguy View Post
AFAIK you have already breached terms of Sony Warranty by unlocking it's bootloader: https://developer.sonymobile.com/unl...urboot-loader/
Yep, warranty is gone once you unlock bootloaders

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
You pay for the OS either way. In cash. Or with your data. I prefer not paying with my data.

And about that warranty: Crivens, any Android device is outdated once i turn it off. Forget about that warranty.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Veraendert For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,648 | Thanked: 2,122 times | Joined on Mar 2007 @ UNKLE's Never Never Land
Originally Posted by rinigus View Post
In my mind, this project is making a great progress and has an important impact. I am happy that Jolla does not get into distribution of devices. By picking up a device with the global availability, they nor us have to face logistical challenges with getting the devices.

Its also a 64-bit device. I don't know what's the current status of 64-bit devices now among ported devices, but getting SFOS ported to this architecture is a major success and we should not underestimate it. When done, it should open many current devices for all of us through the ports.

I do wonder if the port for Xperia X would be made available as a community port image / sources as well. That would allow for curious user to test SFOS before getting full version of it. If not, porters would probably know or would get help to get SFOS running on X Compact and other variants.

As for the pure ports, if you don't need Android stack, the current main problem is the absence of text prediction (jolla-xt9 is proprietary). So, would be great to get someone to work on it and get open-source solution for text predictions. Port from Ubuntu Touch, for example?

I was curious to find out that its Jolla which is porting Alien Dalvik. I thought that it was a service/product that they were buying in.

As for having to buy extra OS on the phone which came with one - that reminds me of the Windows tax. Don't think that we should blame Jolla for it (I don't remember Debian/RedHat to be cursed for Windows tax either). Let's consider the current solution as the best we can get at present with the global availability of the phones. Its much better than to smuggle phones from India without proper certification.
In my opinion you are spot on in many aspects and there is plenty of info in the blog which is great and a relief to hear.

* The 64bit is huge and will open a lot of doors, but definitely a huge task to undertake.

* The Alien Dalvik is a product by Myriad Group and they dependent on them to fix and follow their changes. Now seems/implied they took the code and they will port it to 64 bit. If this is true it means better integration in the future and better support on the known bugs - to be seen, but for sure huge news.

* An additional business model seems to be getting unfolded (?). It is not clear yet, but my take is that they will give for free the base flashable image to all and then charge for exchange, AD and such through the store.

I saw the Sony model a few days ago and it is a decent phone with a nice form factor. I will be very happy with it.
Also, I don't mind to pay for the OS or parts for it if my privacy is respected.

Overall it is great news for me. I hope they manage to have a good operational version in the next few months for us.

Edit: corrected wrong info that AD is from a Chinese company

Last edited by Saturn; 2017-07-02 at 07:26.

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Saturn For This Useful Post:
Posts: 93 | Thanked: 358 times | Joined on Jul 2016 @ Paraguay
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
There's a way to backup de DRM keys in XDA Forum, before you unlock the bootloader. If want warranty back, flash stock Android rom, restore DRM keys and your warranty is back 😎

Enviado desde mi Xperia Z2 mediante Tapatalk

The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to meloferz For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,414 | Thanked: 7,547 times | Joined on Aug 2016 @ Estonia
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Really?!!! Global AVAILABILITY??? What a joke!!
Well, depends on what do you compare it to. Recently (since J1?), in EU, its rather difficult to get anything. Its surely not the most available phone these days though, but it looks to me a better deal than JC and Aqua (and INOI). I can get it locally (310-320EUR), its probably cheaper to order it from Germany, if there is a wish. How is it for you, no idea though.
But I would expect Sony to be presented globally, as an unlocked phone.

Originally Posted by Feathers McGraw View Post
Check out OKboard if you haven't already - continuous input /predictive keyboard for Sailfish that is fully open. I can't remember whether it does predictions for normal typing (I think it currently uses xt9 for that) but it clearly could, because it does its own predictions for continuous input. That's something open versions of Android are missing BTW - if you want CI on Android you have to use something like Swype or Swiftkey.
I do use OKboard, but had an impression it depends on xt9. However, as you say that it has its own prediction engine running, it probably is also a good place to look. I mentioned Ubuntu Touch since it should have the similar keyboard components as we do and it may be not too difficult to get it working on SFOS. Although, I don't know much about the keyboard layers.

Originally Posted by kinggo View Post
which brings up the question about warranty. What if phone needs to go to the service and sailfish is flashed on it and there's no way to go back to android?
In EU, we should be fine (see https://fsfe.org/freesoftware/legal/...evices.en.html). Globally, not so much. After Brexit for UK, up to negotiations.

Last edited by rinigus; 2017-07-01 at 20:23.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to rinigus For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by meloferz View Post
There's a way to backup de DRM keys in XDA Forum, before you unlock the bootloader. If want warranty back, flash stock Android rom, restore DRM keys and your warranty is back 😎

Enviado desde mi Xperia Z2 mediante Tapatalk
Iam well aware of all of those options, I used to work with Xperia team way back (Xperia play was new then)
However, don’t be fooled, Sony knows you had your bootloader unlocked!
Not that I care lol

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to nieldk For This Useful Post:
Posts: 339 | Thanked: 1,623 times | Joined on Oct 2013 @ France
Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
* The Alien Dalvik is a product by a Chinese company and they dependent on them to fix and follow their changes.
May I ask where have you seen it is from a chinese company ?
Alien Dalvik has always been presented here as a product of Myriad, which seems to be a french/swiss company: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Myriad_Group

Originally Posted by Saturn View Post
Now seems/implied they took the code and they will port it to 64 bit. If this is true it means better integration in the future and better support on the known bugs - to be seen, but for sure huge news.
I'm not sure, if that was true, that Jolla could afford maintaining two OS's at a time : Sailfish on one hand, and the Android runtime on the other hand.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Zeta For This Useful Post:
Posts: 187 | Thanked: 162 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Sunny Woollahra
Originally Posted by meet.vino View Post
Afraid not!! I checked on their site.
Ring or visit any store, the website doesn't have the full stock availability listed.

Macquarie Park have two in stock

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rfa For This Useful Post:
Posts: 479 | Thanked: 1,284 times | Joined on Jan 2012 @ Enschede, The Netherlands
Originally Posted by nieldk View Post
That's debatable. AFAIK in EU law you still have warranty on the parts of the device that aren't affected / effected by the modification you make. If you manage to break e.g. the headset socket, that will most likely have no effect on the display, so the display is still under warranty. If you change the OS on your laptop, you will of course lose support on the OS, but if suddenly the keyboard stops working, even in BIOS, that would still be covered.

I reckon the same applies here. Swapping out the OS, also given that is an explicit option for these devices, should have no influence on the warranty on the hardware. You might lose factory warranty, but in EU law, the shop were you bought it is responsible for warranty anyway.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Fuzzillogic For This Useful Post:

Tags
sailfish os, sony xperia x