Poll: Will you buy the Nokia N900?
Poll Options
Will you buy the Nokia N900?

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
I think the problem is people keep throwing around the $700. If you're in the US there is no benefit in getting an unlocked phone unless you like carrier jumping at a whim. It's not like you get a discount if you bring your own phone (in the US). So just like Pre and iPhone owners you probably get it for somewhere between $199 - $399 on contract.

Posts: 274 | Thanked: 62 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ Helotes, TX
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
I think the problem is people keep throwing around the $700. If you're in the US there is no benefit in getting an unlocked phone unless you like carrier jumping at a whim. It's not like you get a discount if you bring your own phone (in the US). So just like Pre and iPhone owners you probably get it for somewhere between $199 - $399 on contract.
That $700 is a very real number if, as indicated, the "N900" is only going to be available at the "subsidized" rate through T-Mobile. Since I am on AT&T, and have no pressing desire to jump, I would have to buy an unlocked phone at full price, and swap my SIM.

Don't be fooled, though. "subsidized" is in quotes for a reason. It really isn't subsidized, you're paying for it (and more) through the two years of your contract. So, it's more like leasing, with interest.

The cell phone status quo in the U.S. is outrageous. We are held hostage to these monopolies, and pay them for the privilege.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 304 | Thanked: 233 times | Joined on Jul 2009 @ São Paulo, SP, Brasil
Originally Posted by st5150 View Post
When I first heard about the N810 and Maemo, it was on sale for about $350 from Nokia's website. I believe $400 was the normal price on the website. Needless to say, if the price tag is $700, I'll be holding off for a while.
The N800 was available here in Brazil for some time at a promotional price of R$350, approximately US$180. I think that was in early 2008. Today you can find it still by R$450 (US$250) at auction sites, and the N810 is being sold at stores for R$700, something like US$380. It was R$1100 (US$600) until few weeks ago...

R$700 is also the price you can get an iPhone 3G at one of the local cell phone companies. The 3GS is being advertised with much fanfare "beat your friends and be the first in your block to own one!"... I believe if you get an iPhone you must get a plan that costs at minimum R$90 a month. I would expect the N900 to cost at most as much as an iPhone 3G, and allow us to get cheaper plans... My poor man's plan is R$35.

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 167 times | Joined on Feb 2007 @ Powell, OH
Originally Posted by deeteroderdas View Post
That $700 is a very real number if, as indicated, the "N900" is only going to be available at the "subsidized" rate through T-Mobile. Since I am on AT&T, and have no pressing desire to jump, I would have to buy an unlocked phone at full price, and swap my SIM.

Don't be fooled, though. "subsidized" is in quotes for a reason. It really isn't subsidized, you're paying for it (and more) through the two years of your contract. So, it's more like leasing, with interest.

The cell phone status quo in the U.S. is outrageous. We are held hostage to these monopolies, and pay them for the privilege.
Technically you're not paying for it since the cost of your service does not change regardless of whether you sign a contract or not. Sure the cost of "subsidized" phones are part of the underlying service cost, but the phone companies could care less if you walk in with a unlocked phone since you'll still be paying the same monthly cost as someone on contract. They probably like you more since they would have made more of a profit.

I agree the status quo isn't good, but don't pretend the options with the N900 are any different than the Pre or iPhone. The only crime here is cell phone manufacture artificially price the unlocked devices high to force you into a carrier.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to theflew For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by theflew View Post
Technically you're not paying for it since the cost of your service does not change regardless of whether you sign a contract or not. Sure the cost of "subsidized" phones are part of the underlying service cost, but the phone companies could care less if you walk in with a unlocked phone since you'll still be paying the same monthly cost as someone on contract. They probably like you more since they would have made more of a profit.

I agree the status quo isn't good, but don't pretend the options with the N900 are any different than the Pre or iPhone. The only crime here is cell phone manufacture artificially price the unlocked devices high to force you into a carrier.
The fact that my monthly service costs are the same whether I bring my own unlocked phone or get a "leased" one makes it, in my mind, more criminal. I should get a discount on my service costs. The cost of a phone is imbedded in there. TANSTAAFL.

In fact, go to AT&T's web site and look. They actually have changed their rules lately. If I'm not at the point in my contract where I can get a "discounted" upgrade, I am welcome to purchase a phone (not unlocked, though) from them at the "no discount" price. Still gotta pay the same monthly rate.

"There are two major products that come out of Berkeley: LSD and BSD. We don't believe this to be a coincidence. " - Jeremy S. Anderson

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
The rate is apparently designed around "worst case". That allows the service providers to easily absorb known and even unanticipated costs. So I agree with dee: if I bring my own phone to the party, I want a discount.

This is just sad. People ranting about the price of a device - and neither have been announced. It can be $700, but it can also be $300! Your guess is as good as mine. Stop complaining before you really see an announcement.

The Following User Says Thank You to Kypeli For This Useful Post:
Okay, just checking if I get this right.

In Europe, we can get a cell phone cheap with an expensive subscription, or you can get the same cell phone mid-priced with a cheap subscription. With the cheapest subscriptions, they don't offer any "subsides" at all. Basically, you can get a $400 phone for $1 but then you have a subscription that is about $400 more expensive a year, than the optimal subscription.

Are you telling me that US carriers will give you the $400 phones "subsidized" at the same price regardless of what subscription you have? That there are no cheaper options?

Sounds like capitalism isn't working, if noone offers a barebone subscription with lower costs and lower monthly fees.

Posts: 3,159 | Thanked: 2,023 times | Joined on Feb 2008 @ Finland
read the first review and now it must be bought!

Don't have much money to spare but I haven't bought a cellphone this year (thanks E71!) so I am a lot behind from my 1 phone per year -quota now

e: probably won't get it subsidied (what's the word?!?) because without I'll get 20-50 euros worth of phonecalls every time when my 24 month contract is updated for another 24 months.

Last edited by ossipena; 2009-08-27 at 08:22.

Originally Posted by Kypeli View Post
This is just sad. People ranting about the price of a device - and neither have been announced. It can be $700, but it can also be $300! Your guess is as good as mine. Stop complaining before you really see an announcement.
Stop denying me my right to complain.

Given the price of it's near cousin, the N97, do you honestly believe it will be $300?

My "rant" has not so much to do with the price, per se. I'm sure it's worth every dollar/euro. My rant has more to do with the fact that it appears that the N900 device will only be available through T-Mobile, which is not my cell provider. Therefore, I'll have to pay full price if I want to use it.

The Following User Says Thank You to deeteroderdas For This Useful Post:

Tags
interest, n900, poll