Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
1. It's not a battery problem. This week, I have once left N900 during the night (eight hours or more) running Modrana, with GPS and cellular connection on, and it has lost at most 25% (more likely, 10%) of the charge. So, the battery holds its charge. Despite the many grains of sand that found their way inside the device.
2. It's not a WiFi problem. WiFi was turned off. No Internet connection at all. Though... Let me remember... I have tried to access a WiFi connection, N900 said 'connected', browser said 'authenticate before you can access Internet', I said 'disconnect' (it was not like I really needed Internet, just curious about many WiFis floating around). But it's still not enough explanation for draining the battery, since all WiFi operations were done within three minutes, and afterwards it was disconnected.
3. Let me explain the timeline:
3.1. Battery 8/8. Turning on 2G cellular connection, Modrana, going on a trip.
3.2. Battery 8/8. Occasinally turning on and off 3G, starting up and down Modrana, with GPS on, switching between Silent and General Profiles.
3.3. Battery 8/8. N900 warm, no applications open. When starting top in terminal, CPU usage jumps from 50% to 5%. Still, battery 8/8. Is there any bug when battery shows '8/8' while the charge is much lower?
3.4 Less than half-an-hour later, during a telephone call, without any warning (like 'Battery low' or 'Shutting down'), N900 blacks out. And, of course, it cannot be turned on again: darkened 'Nokia' logo, yellow led (not blinking), then returning to black screen, and not even attempting to start up - evidently, not enough battery. It can be turned on again only after some looong recharge. Add to that that I have not taken the charger (not even the USB cable) with me (I have seen the 8/8 battery, and it's not like such sudden discharges happen every day), that there is free electricity around, and even free USB ports... Close to the torments of Tantalus. Especially when there is no other cellular phone, no other navigation tool, no other electronic camera around. It's a poor consolation that there is non-electronic watch, or I would have had to look time up on the tower, listening to the bells.
4. It might be bug 9150, or not. Is bug 9150 going to be solved anytime soon? It has turned out to be reproducible around 2011-01-28.
5. Whatever drains the battery, the watchdog should have noticed the drain before it was drained to zero. The watchdog should have restarted the device when the battery still had enough charge to boot the device up, and give it a hour or two of 'slow' functioning - cellular connection, no WiFi, no GPS, no music, no video.
Does anybody have any possible explanation of the extra quick drain, or suggestions how to prevent it from being repeated in the future? Is CSSU better protected from such occurrences?
Thank you for your support.

Posts: 1,808 | Thanked: 4,272 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Germany
What kernel are you using? are you loading any battery-related modules? (bq27x00_battery).

How do you measure the battery level? (just the standard battery indicator, or by some other means?).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to reinob For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by reinob View Post
What kernel are you using? are you loading any battery-related modules? (bq27x00_battery).

How do you measure the battery level? (just the standard battery indicator, or by some other means?).
Hmf... I use standard Maemo, whatever its latest Nokia version is, no CSSU yet, no overclocking ever.
Generally, I measure battery level with the standard battery indicator, but afterwards, I look it up in BatteryGraph. Attached.
Attached Images

Posts: 17 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Heerlen, Netherlands
I have a comparable broblem.
I charge the battery.. then, i use the phone..
So i try to chat with people, or browse the web.. and the green icon of the battery shows like 70-80 % .. then, spontaneously, the phone gives "battery low" warning. then, I think like "oh, i need to tell people, the battery is low".. then, phone gives the warning "recharge battery" .. and turns itself off.

When I turn it on again, battery seems to be "almost empty" .. but when I don't use the phone, the battery seems to fill itself? impossible, but true.. I should use BatteryGraph to be more sure.

oh, I have not the original Nokia battery..

The Following User Says Thank You to evgeniy1987 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 25 | Thanked: 86 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Düsseldorf, Germany
Originally Posted by evgeniy1987 View Post
I have a comparable broblem.

oh, I have not the original Nokia battery..
Hmm. I had a similar problem with a battery I bought online for a few bucks. It looked liked a real Nokia battery (including hologram etc.), and it lasted some 24 hours or so, then it went from 8 bars to empty very quickly (in under a minute).

I took it to a Nokia dealer, he also noticed how good this fake battery looked, I bought a new original battery there, and now everything is fine.

The Following User Says Thank You to duesselschorsch For This Useful Post:
Posts: 17 | Thanked: 9 times | Joined on Apr 2012 @ Heerlen, Netherlands
hmm, I'll search for my old Nokia battery let's see if that's better.
I have the battery because a friend just bought 2 batteries, without doing research.. but it seemed to work well... until 3-4 weeks ago or so.

I have the similar problem - battery discharges very quickly. I'm using standard kernel, latest CSSU stable (and Battery Patch), battery is Nokia's original, nor WiFi or Bluetooth are not turned on. It seems that some program is running on background with increasing speed (see BatteryGraph image).
In X terminal top command doesn't show nothing unusal.

Yesterday evening I charged battery full and in the morning it was almost empty although I switched phone to flight mode.
When rebooted with ~25% of battery resulting with empty battery level indicator after phone is restarted. Only good thing was that rebooting was killed that mystery program eating up CPU recources (and battery).

Can anybody help?

Last edited by jaanusa; 2012-07-25 at 13:11.

Posts: 2,290 | Thanked: 4,133 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ UK
http://talk.maemo.org/showpost.php?p...6&postcount=18

also powertop is useful for finding battery issues

Wiki Admin
sixwheeledbeast's wiki
Testing Squad Subscriber
- mcallerx - tenminutecore - FlopSwap - Qnotted - zzztop - Bander - Fight2048 -

Before posting or starting a thread please try this.

Last edited by sixwheeledbeast; 2012-07-25 at 13:23.

In addition to powertop info, do you have any browser extensions (adblock)? When battery is draining really fast next time, make a note of the highest cpu users from top.

Thanks for advice. I will check what powertop will show.
This power drain issue does not everyday issue but when it appears it lasts at least coppöe days in a row. As far as I remember I had the same problem before I updated to CSSU and before installing Power Patch as it occured with CSSU also.
I don't have any browser extensions.When battery drains fast I have checked top and the highest CPU user in most of times has been Xorg

Tags
battery drain, bugss, nokia-n900, ranting