Notices

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
Originally Posted by Rushmore View Post
I tried some from my list of MAME games that were not playing smooth and they still perform the same after update. Would have been great if it did help though. Still, Flandry is off to a great start!

Perhaps this flag issue is more for games made for the N900?
I think he meant that not using the YUV overlay would be faster now than before. My knowledge of the ins-and-outs of different ways to actually scale and draw stuff to the screen is fairly limited, so I'm just grateful that those who prepared SDL and the other libraries built in good support for these kinds of things.

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by Flandry View Post
I think he meant that not using the YUV overlay would be faster now than before. My knowledge of the ins-and-outs of different ways to actually scale and draw stuff to the screen is fairly limited, so I'm just grateful that those who prepared SDL and the other libraries built in good support for these kinds of things.
YUV SDL surfaces will most probably use Xv which as fast as you can get on the N900 (though some problems when multiple apps try to use it if I remember lcuk's words correctly).
Wow, do MAME emulated games have YUV data (really dunno about arcade machines)? Or is it just doing conversion?

Yeah good work Flandry, its coming along really well.

2 questions tho

1. when you bring up the frame skip option up on screen some roms say 2 partial updates and others say 3 partial updates what does this mean?

2. when playing r-type at first i was getting a jerky 60 / 62 % then after 2 mins of the rom running on demo the keyboard lit up and the rom ran at 97 / 100% speed, even with frame skip set at 0/10 it ran at a lovely smooth 82%.
what do you make of this?

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
Yeah good work Flandry, its coming along really well.

2 questions tho

1. when you bring up the frame skip option up on screen some roms say 2 partial updates and others say 3 partial updates what does this mean?

2. when playing r-type at first i was getting a jerky 60 / 62 % then after 2 mins of the rom running on demo the keyboard lit up and the rom ran at 97 / 100% speed, even with frame skip set at 0/10 it ran at a lovely smooth 82%.
How do you bring up the frame skip option? I have been using MAME since it just emulated the old Namco romsets and have not seen that error before.

Posts: 1,559 | Thanked: 1,786 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Boston
javispedro: I suspect that with the small output resolution of a lot of old arcade machines, adding a conversion for hardware scaling was a fairly high priority for MAME, but i don't know any details.

Originally Posted by Bazza View Post
I've not seen that before and any answer i'd give at this point would be a complete guess.

Could it have been the media crawler running in the background? What happens if you run it now?

Unofficial PR1.3/Meego 1.1 FAQ

Classic example of arbitrary Nokia decision making. Couldn't just fallback to the no brainer of tagging with lat/lon if network isn't accessible, could you Nokia?
MAME: an arcade in your pocket
Accelemymote: make your accelerometer more joy-ful

All applications are closed with just mame open. load r-type it runs at a jerky 40% then 30secs later it just kicks in 96% (it seems to coincide with the backlight going off then coming on just the 1st time only) and much smoother with perfect sound,this seems to be the only rom that does it, but i havnt tried them all since the update tho.

The partial update info comes under the fps and speed % top right of screen (@Rushmore - which you can get up and adjust by pressing the voume down button on the side of the phone) it didnt show before the latest update i'm sure of it and it doesnt do it on all roms.

Are you aware that when the emultor is running idle the back light and keyboard light constantly go off and on every 10 secs or so. but when playing (testing) no problems with the lights.

Posts: 100 | Thanked: 102 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Amazon-Belém
Flandry, I got sdlmame compiled for N8x0, and I removed Xinerama code... because on diablo it not compile with -lXinerama ....

Last edited by Anunakin; 2010-01-15 at 14:23.

Posts: 1,255 | Thanked: 393 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ US
Flandry,

What other improvements do you think you can do to make your already great early effort with MAME 135 even better?

I think you are on the brink of true greatness for gamers on the N900. Your MAME N900 efforts should become a thing of legend

Posts: 71 | Thanked: 12 times | Joined on Jan 2007 @ Dubai, UAE
I do not know details but I think OpenGL rendering is one main thing missing. Other than that are asm CPU cores for optimal performance but maybe not that significant as video side

Hi all,

Could someone point me to the download of this build of MAME everyone is discussing?

Sorry to sound like a noob, cause I'm really not that much of one, I just am new to the N900 flavor of Linux. I have plenty of experience messing about in my own crude way.

Please don't just tell me to "wait until it shows up in the official apps to download list"! I take full responsibility - I have to start somewhere, I just don't know where this depository is for the works in progress.

It's not some great secret, is it? Just a link will suffice, I'd appreciate it. I'd search for it but I don't even know the proper name by which these projects get referred to. A bloke's got to start learning someplace, you know?