Community Council | Posts: 1,669 | Thanked: 10,225 times | Joined on Nov 2014 @ Lower Rhine
chen single handedly drops the original jolla tablet price to lowest i have ever seen with 286€ on ebay

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to mosen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Cant Jolla via this $250 M chinease consortium help youYota with this Lauta? Chen & Co obviously have some skill...

Edit: if this post doesn't belong here just tell me and I remove it.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

Last edited by Dave999; 2017-07-10 at 18:58.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by indie carmayne View Post
I'm a bit freaked out now... Especially since I began noticing the number 5.000 beneath every perk - 5.000 t-shirts? Really? But I guess it boils down to this: Chen probably had to give a minimal number of units to be produced so manufacturing is worth while for Foxconn. In another hardware project a production run required 4.000 units to be made as a an absolute minimum.
I wondered about this too. $50,000 seems meager when you consider 5000 tablets at $200 is a million dollars.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Crow's Nest, Souvereignty of Faerie Fae
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
Cant Jolla via this $250 M chinese consortium help Youyota with this Lauta? Chen & Co obviously have some skills...
When I read about this Sailfish China deal my question was more like:
Can't they afford to pay out the second refund installment now?

(Although I second your Chen skills point...)

The Following User Says Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
Posts: 32 | Thanked: 96 times | Joined on Aug 2015 @ Crow's Nest, Souvereignty of Faerie Fae
Originally Posted by indie carmayne View Post
I'm a bit freaked out now... Especially since I began noticing the number 5.000 beneath every perk - 5.000 t-shirts? Really? But I guess it boils down to this: Chen probably had to give a minimal number of units to be produced so manufacturing is worth while for Foxconn. In another hardware project a production run required 4.000 units to be made as a an absolute minimum.
Originally Posted by lancewex View Post
I wondered about this too. $50,000 seems meager when you consider 5000 tablets at $200 is a million dollars.
My calculation is more like this:

Judging by the first 2 days of the campaign we have, conservatively counted, about 100 new supporters every day (Not every backer orders a tablet, some order just accessories. So I should be counted as 1 backer only despite 3 orders in total - Keep that in mind). Okay, multiply that with the 15 days of the campaign and you end up with 1.500 backers. If you take the average cost of a tablet at 200 Euros then you will be at 300.000 Euros raised.

If Chen can sell 5.000 units it would be theoretically1.000.000 Euros but you have to count the accecories-only orders in so it will be something below that amount.

Whatever the outcome is in the end I seriously hope Chen can beat the mark set by Jolla (661 gadgets set out in the wild).

Last edited by indie carmayne; 2017-07-11 at 01:14. Reason: Added in 2 quotes for better understanding

The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:
presumably there is a minimum batch run to get the interest of a factory?

The Following User Says Thank You to Jedibeeftrix For This Useful Post:
Is it only me thinking that 5000 is just a high number put there to be sure that it won't be reached and everybody who wants can get a tablet, and production batch size will be decided upon the number of backers?
About another subject, Chen, will you make tablet spare parts (above all display and battery, but connectors and full motherboard would be nice too) available for purchase somewhere for DIY repair? Possibly Aliexpress or eBay would be fine too.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jameson For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,335 | Thanked: 3,931 times | Joined on Jul 2010 @ Brittany, France
Same, I think Chenliangen already set the deal about production provided that the fundraiser would be a success. If there was some sort of other threshold to reach, this would definitely need to be stated in [font=70] in the campaign as one of the locks to break to make it happen, especially a hard and clear limit such as minimum number of units.

I would guess he is using the IGG campaign to 1. fund the project for the minimum batch size required along with his personal/his company's investment, and 2. assess the demand and decide if more units than the minimum should be produced or if it would be too much of a gamble.

But then I have no information and may very well be wrong.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kabouik For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,548 | Thanked: 7,510 times | Joined on Apr 2010 @ Czech Republic
Yeah - the 5000 really seems like a placeholder to me as well.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MartinK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by jameson View Post
Is it only me thinking that 5000 is just a high number put there to be sure that it won't be reached and everybody who wants can get a tablet, and production batch size will be decided upon the number of backers?
There is a response to this by Michael Du (campaign starter on Indiegogo) on the commentaries on the campaign page. I copy + paste it in here:

Originally Posted by Michael Du
BTW,Youyota tablet will be for sales after campaign, as it is the only intel based sailfish tablet in the world!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to indie carmayne For This Useful Post:

Tags
jolla tablet, sailfish os