Posts: 820 | Thanked: 436 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Portsmouth, UK.
Hi, the contents of my MyDocs partition is reporting that it's using more space than it actually is so I'm going to reformat MyDocs.

In order to backup everything in my MyDocs partition (6gb) I was going to tar it up using tar -pcf but where do I tar it to? MyDocs?

I have 9gb free but can I create a tar inside the folder I'm backing up via tar or will I cause some sort of glitch in the matrix?

If in fact this is ok, and Agent Smith isn't going to come through the walls and attack me, could someone confirm the command I would use.
I'm thinking
Code:
tar -pfc /home/user/MyDocs/MyTar.tar /home/user/MyDocs
Would that be correct?

Thanks

You might actually have a bit of an easier time just mounting it to a workstation and copying the entire contents off in one foul-swoop.

The Following User Says Thank You to hawaii For This Useful Post:
I did that to my windows 7 system via usb, I then copied the ~5 hidden files over via winscp.
I just wanted to tar them up on the device as I know how much windows likes screwing with stuff.

Posts: 298 | Thanked: 197 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Norway
There is no need to have -p in it. FAT doesn't support permissions at all, so it's completely useless to put it there. Remove it.
Also, that command wont compress the content. Why not put an -x into it?

Putting the file into the folder where it's compressing will make it loop or at least give you errors. Personally, I use my desktop for backing up. I have written a script for it, and it works perfectly. But the most important thing to do before relying on such a script is to be as exact as you can. Don't cd to the wrong folder. Write the command wisely. I have managed to delete all my files once. (It was 2 days ago.)
You could also just move all the files over to your computer, unplug your device, format with the device's formatting tool in Filemanager (Important to make the drive VFAT.), and move the files back.

Even though the N900 is kind of Matrix-inspired, no, Agent Smith is retired. You'll have to look for Agent Bob.

The Following User Says Thank You to Nokia 5700 For This Useful Post:
That seems to have done the trick. I completely forgot you could format the drive straight from file manager.

Posts: 243 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Sep 2007 @ silicon valley
Why not back up to the external SD card? That's what I do.