Posts: 228 | Thanked: 100 times | Joined on May 2010 @ Australia
Yes: that would be /home/user/.mms/msg

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to skyjumper For This Useful Post:
Posts: 559 | Thanked: 1,017 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Finland
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
also, i will gladly distribute the binary and face the legal wrath of merlin1991, who posted the sourcecode with no license or copyright.

of course, dont run this binary if you dont trust me, and you do so at your own risk.

https://github.com/teleshoes/n9-conf...S/bin/n9Export
OK, I got a bit lost in reading the thread.

I would need to backup my SMSs. If I use the application from the first message of this thread I encounter every time the "Background thread stalled" error (because I have a lot of messages). Obviously backing the SMSs to computer with Ovi Suite won't work either, I had already forgot what a horror that program is.

So, the last resort would be merlin1991's "Harmattan SMS boat" which should be compiled from sources. Does this binary (though I could not find the .deb in the github but I trust that it is there somewhere) linked by wolke contain the SMS export functionality? Or just com history?

EDIT: and is this a .deb or something else? If something else, where should it be put on N9 (what path)? What is the command then to create the .csv? Is root access needed?

Last edited by OVK; 2016-11-16 at 11:59.

The Following User Says Thank You to OVK For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by OVK View Post
OK, I got a bit lost in reading the thread.

I would need to backup my SMSs. If I use the application from the first message of this thread I encounter every time the "Background thread stalled" error (because I have a lot of messages). Obviously backing the SMSs to computer with Ovi Suite won't work either, I had already forgot what a horror that program is.

So, the last resort would be merlin1991's "Harmattan SMS boat" which should be compiled from sources. Does this binary (though I could not find the .deb in the github but I trust that it is there somewhere) linked by wolke contain the SMS export functionality? Or just com history?

EDIT: and is this a .deb or something else? If something else, where should it be put on N9 (what path)? What is the command then to create the .csv? Is root access needed?
I've moved on a long time ago, but I compiled some of what I found here: http://froberg.me/index.php/backing-...-the-nokia-n9/

Maybe it's useful to you.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Froberg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Froberg View Post
I've moved on a long time ago, but I compiled some of what I found here: http://froberg.me/index.php/backing-...-the-nokia-n9/

Maybe it's useful to you.
Thanks. I actually found your site earlier and have read it through.

Unfortunately "the application by Mr. Tong Zang" you are referring seems not to be available anywhere (the current replacement for Ovi Store don't host it).

I need to dig up old version of PC Suite and take a look if it would allow me to create a backup. The Nokia Suite that I am using won't sync the messages and it also shows only messages on my N9 from December 2013 and earlier...

Originally Posted by OVK View Post
Thanks. I actually found your site earlier and have read it through.

Unfortunately "the application by Mr. Tong Zang" you are referring seems not to be available anywhere (the current replacement for Ovi Store don't host it).

I need to dig up old version of PC Suite and take a look if it would allow me to create a backup. The Nokia Suite that I am using won't sync the messages and it also shows only messages on my N9 from December 2013 and earlier...
I have his contact details, if you want 'em. Maybe he can send you the original package.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Froberg For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Froberg View Post
I have his contact details, if you want 'em. Maybe he can send you the original package.

That would be excellent, thanks. Please PM me the contact details.

However, I would first try merlin1991's package if somebody could give instructions.

juiceme, I can see you

Last edited by OVK; 2016-11-16 at 15:45.

I have sent you a PM.

I would also like to add, that I've had some success in just creating a full backup file using PC Suite. You can then navigate the backup file using NBU Explorer, and export the messages in plain text, if memory serves.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/nbuexplorer/

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Froberg For This Useful Post:
merlin1991's n9Export is a great, fast tool that extracts your SMS and phone calls to a nice, human-readable format

the file i put up is compiled from his source directly and doesnt have any hidden code that will turn your phone into a sentient, homicidal weapon.

you put that file on your phone with SSH or bluetooth or USB or whatever and run it from a terminal like this (maybe it needs devel-su first?):
`n9Export sms.csv`
`n9Export -c calls.csv`

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by wolke View Post
merlin1991's n9Export is a great, fast tool that extracts your SMS and phone calls to a nice, human-readable format

the file i put up is compiled from his source directly and doesnt have any hidden code that will turn your phone into a sentient, homicidal weapon.

you put that file on your phone with SSH or bluetooth or USB or whatever and run it from a terminal like this (maybe it needs devel-su first?):
`n9Export sms.csv`
`n9Export -c calls.csv`
Thanks. I have now downloaded (I used the "Download" button) from here: https://github.com/teleshoes/n9-conf...S/bin/n9Export the file "n9Export". I put it to the N9 and moved it to the home/user/

Then i tried

n9Export sms.csv (first as user, then as root) and all I get is
n9Export: not found

What am I missing? Is the file in the wrong place?

I start to remember that I have had some kind of similar problems earlier... Should the file be in $PATH? If I

Code:
~ #echo $PATH
/usr/bin: /bin
so should the file be in /usr/bin? (Which happens to be a directory that I don't have write access so it is a bit difficult to move the file there...)

you just have to run it with the full path to it:
/home/user/n9Export a.sms
~/n9Export a.sms
etc

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolke For This Useful Post: