Notices

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2008 @ New York
Just wondering if there is any chance the arduino IDE can be ported/run on the N900? I understand that it would not be able to communicate over usb, but that could easily be solved using bluetooth. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

jkman82

Posts: 12 | Thanked: 1 time | Joined on Jul 2008 @ New York
Can someone maybe move this into a section where I will at-least get some type of input? I have searched but all I have found are things like the PUSH competition and the N900 Hackers guide, but it says nothing of using the arduino ide on the N900.

jkman82

Posts: 330 | Thanked: 483 times | Joined on Dec 2010 @ Norwich, UK
I would also like to see this. Usb host mode is working well on my N900 and I would love to give it a go

Posts: 237 | Thanked: 193 times | Joined on Feb 2010 @ Brighton, UK
A quick look at the IDE source shows a lot of Java ( https://github.com/arduino/Arduino ) and build instructions ( http://code.google.com/p/arduino/wiki/BuildingArduino )

Linux:
On Linux, you need the Sun Java SDK, avr-gcc, avr-g++, avr-libc, make, ant, and git.
So not a trivial job to port to a platform with no official Java support.

Should be doable in Easy Debian. Switch to squeeze repos, install build-essential and Sun Java, and build the Arduino IDE.

The Following User Says Thank You to GameboyRMH For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by GameboyRMH View Post
Should be doable in Easy Debian. Switch to squeeze repos, install build-essential and Sun Java, and build the Arduino IDE.
Great idea. I didn't even think of using Easy Debian

Not getting my Arduino Uno till xmas but will post back results

Snag.

Unfortunately in the Sun Java SDK depends on sun-java5-bin. After trawling Google, I have not been able to find an ARM version. If anyone could help with installing this or an alternative in Easy Debian it would be greatly appreciated

i guess modifying the ide itself to work kaffe/some other free java implementation is out of the question?

Originally Posted by FRuMMaGe View Post
Great idea. I didn't even think of using Easy Debian

Not getting my Arduino Uno till xmas but will post back results
I am hoping to get an xmas arduino... do you have a plan for yours or just play?

I am thinking of using it for some panning/timelapse stuff with my camera and just general shenanigans, but hooking the n900 to it would be pretty cool.

Originally Posted by paulkoan View Post
I am hoping to get an xmas arduino... do you have a plan for yours or just play?

I am thinking of using it for some panning/timelapse stuff with my camera and just general shenanigans, but hooking the n900 to it would be pretty cool.
Well I have been programming for several years (mainly Python) but I don't really know anything about the hardware side of electronics, so I figured this would be a good place to start.

I have a corn snake so eventually I would like to make some sort of thermostat for controlling basking lights and heat mats but initially I will be just experimenting.