Poll: 2013 - WHICH OS ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THE MOST RIGHT NOW?
Poll Options
2013 - WHICH OS ARE YOU INTERESTED IN THE MOST RIGHT NOW?

Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
A duel boot between sailfish and ubuntu seem like what most people are looking for. Let's hope Jolla don't close their device completly.

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
While I would like to keep an open mind on New UI paradigm, Ubuntu seemed a bit too complicated for everyone, must swipe precisely to get a certain function. It definitely reminds me of the charm bar and multitasking gesture of Windows 8 and guess what? I hate it to the gut.But the concept of chronologically putting all the stuff you recently access/ do on the home screen is pretty interesting.

Tizen? I don't know much about it but promoting HTML5 as main developing platform turns me off, HTML5 apps are currently inferior compared to native apps, how does TIzen plan to curb this?

Sailfish-well please fix the icon =P

PS-looks like we still have a troll around

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kai_en For This Useful Post:
I voted Sailfish, but i think BB10 will be important...

The Following User Says Thank You to nbedford For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Seriously, the best operating system would be the one which is so small it can be saved on a floppy disk, and so light that the battery can last for months with usual (phone-clock) usage. At the same time, if user wished, he would be able to run a CPU-intensive application and discharge the battery very quickly - it's user's own choice. The fact is, I dislike the idea that OS should grow in size, memory and CPU consumption as hardware grows. I would be prefer for the hardware progress to create a mobile which allows human to travel through a network of caves (no solar recharging) for several days (weeks) and still have the mobile working (as lamp-torch, as map in absence of both Internet and GPS, as pedometer to manually create a map of the caves, as sonar if necessary). Theoretically, it's possible. Practically, almost any mobile OS is bloated, to an extent.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Posts: 7,074 | Thanked: 9,069 times | Joined on Oct 2009 @ Moon! It's not the East or the West side... it's the Dark Side
Originally Posted by Wikiwide View Post
Quick reply...
Seriously, the best operating system would be the one which is so small it can be saved on a floppy disk, and so light that the battery can last for months with usual (phone-clock) usage. At the same time, if user wished, he would be able to run a CPU-intensive application and discharge the battery very quickly - it's user's own choice. The fact is, I dislike the idea that OS should grow in size, memory and CPU consumption as hardware grows. I would be prefer for the hardware progress to create a mobile which allows human to travel through a network of caves (no solar recharging) for several days (weeks) and still have the mobile working (as lamp-torch, as map in absence of both Internet and GPS, as pedometer to manually create a map of the caves, as sonar if necessary). Theoretically, it's possible. Practically, almost any mobile OS is bloated, to an extent.
Best wishes.
Do something for the climate today! Anything!

I don't trust poeple without a Nokia n900...

The Following User Says Thank You to Dave999 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Quick reply...
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
SORRY to break it to you. You will never get that.
Maybe, I will. About a century or two later, after another world war, if it will still be possible then.
Originally Posted by Dave999 View Post
What did you vote for? I'm building my own tiny OS? ;-)
Yes. SHR is an interesting project. But I would have liked something closer to Nucleus, Contiki, MenuetOS or Minix. Something extra-simple. Just have to think it through before coding.
Best wishes.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:
Honestly, nothing strikes me as a must buy at the moment. For now i'm using my N9, Lumia 800 and GS3 combo.

If i had to choose what i'm most likely to buy, it would probably be Jolla phone, but there the reasons would be 50% about just supporting their efforts (with the reservation that their hardware will rock).

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tissot For This Useful Post:
Sorry if this is considered hijacking the thread, but I'd really like to know what others would do. I have an extra N900. I have CSSU on the other. Of the ones that are mentioned in the poll that *can* be installed easily on the N900 which would others recommend I try? I have seen some videos of some of the MER stuff. Though they look interesting...I really think Maemo is so great I never understood why people wanted another OS on the N900. So which should I try out?

Last edited by lancewex; 2013-01-07 at 02:01.

The Following User Says Thank You to lancewex For This Useful Post:
At this point, I doubt how open Sailfish is going to be.
We all know Tizen and FirefoxOS's are quite dull.

So the only thing I can think of, would be a spin-off between Mer, Sailfish (some parts at least) and Ubuntu-for-Phone. That Hybrid OS would be pretty tantalizing.

Still, at this point I don't think I'd be able to fully rely on it.
Probably stick to a Samsung NOTE with Android, and get it to dualboot the madafaka!

I'm flattered

The Following User Says Thank You to Kangal For This Useful Post:
Posts: 278 | Thanked: 114 times | Joined on Jan 2010 @ SD, CA
Been considering BB10 very seriously.

The Following User Says Thank You to balisingh For This Useful Post: