just had a weird thought.. about mobile os structure.. maemo is so simple and efficient in that.. but as the current hardware is upgrading day by day.. we are limited to our processing power & Ram 256mb which we cannot overclock..

i was just thinking "CAN WE REMOVE DESKTOP FROM MAEMO (N900)"... Simply two views TASKMANAGER & APPS..
Maemo will then be Simply two layered Os instead of three.. making it even more simple.. and less clicks to use.. and may be faster too..

cant say about everyone but i simply keep one desktop.. which holds just the shortcuts of the apps i frequently utilize.. this can easily be replaced by a folder in "catagorise"..

i dont know howmuch amount of Ram desktop takes.. with all those widgets running... or maemo will become superfast after that.. I just felt it was a thought worth considering..
since..
IMHO Desktop is not like OXYGEN to Maemo, we can live without it..

just a stupid thought

thanks for reading

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-04-12 at 08:11.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to immi.shk For This Useful Post:
Don't want desktop's widgets? Don't use them, they won't eat RAM Don't want shortcuts on desktops? Same apply. BTW, using CSSU, You may easily configure amount of desktops.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
cant say about everyone but i simply keep one desktop.. which holds just the shortcuts of the apps i frequently utilize.. this can easily be replaced by a folder in "catagorise"..
I have probably never used the appz-menu , so i would prefer to exchange that for something else
http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=80080

The Following User Says Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
just in case if someone think i am suggesting Maemo to appear like iOs

by Layers this is what i mean

iOs
1(apps) + 0(multitasking)
= 1 Layer Os

Android
1(desktop) + 1(apps) + 0(multitasking) + 1(resent apps) + 1(surprise apps we find in task killer)
= 3.. no .. 4... i am Dyslexic to count

N9
1(app) + 1(multitasking) + 1(live update)
= 3 Layer Os

N900
1(Desktop) + 1(Multitasking) + 1(Apps)
= 3 Layer Os

N900(can be)
1(Multitasking) + 1(Apps) + 0(desktop)
= 2 Layers Os

Last edited by immi.shk; 2012-04-12 at 06:06.

Posts: 1,225 | Thanked: 1,905 times | Joined on Feb 2011 @ Quezon City, Philippines
Originally Posted by immi.shk View Post
just in case if someone think i am suggesting Maemo to appear like iOs

by Layers this is what i mean

iOs
1(apps) + 0(multitasking)
= 1 Layer Os

Android
1(desktop) + 1(apps) + 0(multitasking) + 1(resent apps) + 1(surprise apps we find in task killer)
= 3.. no .. 4... i am Dyslexic to count

N9
1(app) + 1(multitasking) + 1(live update)
= 3 Layer Os

N900
1(Desktop) + 1(Multitasking) + 1(Apps)
= 3 Layer Os

N900(can be)
1(Multitasking) + 1(Apps) + 0(desktop)
= 2 Layers Os
Why would you want to s**t on something that works?
Maemo has layers as the concept of the UI - the reason you press on the blurred area is to go to a lower layer.

It tries to approximate a multi-windowed desktop OS on a phone. This is how you do it.

If you only want 2 layers, install Nemo.

tbf you can just have one desktop on the n900, and whack on all your favourite shortcuts and the rest is history, it's that customizable.

The Following User Says Thank You to m4r0v3r For This Useful Post:
Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Hildon-desktop is responsible for the window management, so that itself you need to keep, hildon-home however is responsible for the desktop views that contain shortcuts and widgets and that can probably be removed fairly easily with a bit of hacking of the startup scripts, I'll have a look into doing that later, I'm not sure how much memory it will save over just running it with a single bare desktop though. But removing hildon-home will probably still leave the desktop "layer", which will likely need a patch to hildon-desktop to remove, which may (or may not) be beyond my abilities and probably wouldn't result in more than a negligable memory saving anyway.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to retsaw For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by retsaw View Post
Hildon-desktop is responsible for the window management,................ may (or may not) be beyond my abilities and probably wouldn't result in more than a negligable memory saving anyway.
thanks @retsaw
memory saving might be negligent.. but IMHO it will surely reduce the amount of clicks & hence save a bit time.. no bouncing back to desktop... just the apps... active/inactive..

Posts: 381 | Thanked: 336 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Stockholm, Sweden
Learn how to put shortcuts on the desktop instead.
Not only can you get a much better overview there than that useless menu, but you will also have that one less click you ask for, and also a lot less scrolling to find stuff.

The n900 is a lot more advanced than a simple appz-launcher.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to electroaudio For This Useful Post:
Posts: 2,121 | Thanked: 1,540 times | Joined on Mar 2008 @ Oxford, UK
This would require considerable hacking in hildon-desktop, so you would need to get a developer interested in this. Personally I wouldn't want this, but I respect your wish for this configuration, and it's certainly in the spirit of Maemo to try and customise it as much as possible.

The Following User Says Thank You to pelago For This Useful Post: