I am using N810 and observing that file transfers have low throughput. While using 802.11g it cannot transfer at rates higher than approximately 4Mbps (even within a LAN) and even local file copying is very slow (e.g., copying a 10MB file from one directory to another takes around 15 seconds).

I am trying to identify why I am observing this behavior. I don't think it is the processor because similar processors can definitely process things at much faster rate. Also, if I time these transfers it shows that the processor wasn't busy for the whole duration.

Is the device memory the bottleneck or the internal memory card??? In control-panel- memory I see that around 180MB is full and 70MB is free ( I've 128MB as virtual memory). Can someone really point out the reasons why i am experiencing this behavior on the N810.

thanks in advance,
fahad

The Following User Says Thank You to fahad For This Useful Post:
The mmc speed is a bit limited in spec, but fanoush has a kernel overclocking the mmc controller.

The wlan chip is on the SPI bus and seems to be limited to somewhere around 4-8 as you've noticed. i have a vague memory seeing some experimental code speeding it up, but I think it was for 770 and has probably bitrotted severely at this point. Atleast file transfers over usb seem to be a great deal faster, so usbnet is probably faster too, though I haven't tried it.