Posts: 2,222 | Thanked: 12,651 times | Joined on Mar 2010 @ SOL 3
Originally Posted by shawnjefferson View Post
It would be nice to have an official thumb repository hosted on maemo.org, along with autobuilder and extras/extras-testing/extras-dev. If there would be a need for additional capacity to support that, the donations could be used for that?
the CSSU repos are already hosted on maemo infra. We don't want a autobuilder on that since users are not supposed to contribute stuff for CSSU-* only. And we wouldn't have the manpower to set up and maintain such autobuilder anyway. QA for CSSU is not done by *-devel/testing/- repo stages and thumbs-up/down by testers and public review of sources, but simply by maintainers of the particular repo compiling existing checked sources on their local PC and then every now and then packaging and rolling out a CSSU update by uploading already built binaries to the repository.

Please don't answer to this post in this thread, since it's basically 100% off-topic in here.

cheers
jOERG

EX Hildon Foundation approved
Maemo Administration Coordinator (stepped down due to bullying 2014-04-05)
aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

IRC(freenode): DocScrutinizer*
First USB hostmode fanatic, father of H-E-N

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 254 | Thanked: 509 times | Joined on Nov 2011 @ Canada
I did not mean CSSU repositories. I meant thumb compiled apps, and I think it is on topic here. We have money donated for running the maemo.org infrastructure, and there may be a need for additional virtual servers or disk space to host "extras-thumb, extras-thumb-testing, extras-thumb-dev". Currently, thumb compiled applications are spread all over the place. Some are in the forum, some are in private repos, some are in another repo... there is generally no source code and no indication (through extras autobuilder/promotion process), that the application deb you are installing is indeed compiled from the source code you think it is, which is one of the benefits of the maemo.org official repos.

I totally understand the lack of man power though... and there is the issue around adding additional repos into Midgard of course.
I admit that the lack of manpower/desire to implement this may be a show stopper and make any discussion of money/purchases moot right from the start.

PS. Did I mention I think this is a topic I'd like the council and techstaff to look into?

Last edited by shawnjefferson; 2014-01-11 at 02:33.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shawnjefferson For This Useful Post:
honestly I'd love to discuss this stuff with you, point you at the already existing infra like
http://maemo.org/packages/view/bash/
Repository Latest version
Diablo Extras-devel free armel bash 3.2-0maemo4
Diablo Extras-devel free i386 bash 3.2-0maemo4
Diablo SDK free armel bash 2.05b-26osso4
Diablo SDK free i386 bash 2.05b-26osso4
Fremantle nokia-applications explicit armel bash 2.05b-26osso7+0m5
Fremantle SDK free armel bash 2.05b-26osso8+0m5
Fremantle SDK free i386 bash 2.05b-26osso8+0m5
Maemo 5 device SSU repository (>= PR1.2) bash 2.05b-26osso8+0m5
bash 2.05b-26osso8+0m5 Fremantle SDK free i386 Package imported System 2010-03-24 15:28 UTC
bash 2.05b-26osso8+0m5 Fremantle SDK free armel Package imported System 2010-03-24 15:28 UTC
and all.
If only this were not a thread about funding which is totally off topic and will not create a proper discussion of the whole theme anyway. The approach to first ask if we need funds to do whatever needs or doesn't need to get done is ... strange, and distractive to the actual topic, at best.

aka "techstaff" - the guys who keep your infra running - Devotion to Duty http://xkcd.com/705/

Last edited by joerg_rw; 2014-01-11 at 02:48.

The Following User Says Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 4,117 | Thanked: 8,901 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Ruhrgebiet, Germany
Above to be discussed topic moved to here.

Please consider your membership / supporting Maemo e.V. and help to spread this by following/copying this link to your TMO signature:
[MC eV] Maemo Community eV membership application, http://talk.maemo.org/showthread.php?t=94257

editsignature, http://talk.maemo.org/profile.php?do=editsignature

The Following User Says Thank You to peterleinchen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
I would like to donate, but seriously ... why do i have to work my way through endless threads for 15 minutes after clicking the banner in order to find no valid link to paypal or whatever to just make a simple donation? Do you actually want the funds or not?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rogierrr For This Useful Post:
no they don't. also wouldn't know what to do with it

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to joerg_rw For This Useful Post:
Posts: 39 | Thanked: 8 times | Joined on Apr 2011 @ Amsterdam
Ok that's honest But why not take down the banner?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rogierrr For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,994 | Thanked: 3,342 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ N900: Battery low. N950: torx 4 re-used once and fine; SIM port torn apart
Originally Posted by rogierrr View Post
I would like to donate, but seriously ... why do i have to work my way through endless threads for 15 minutes after clicking the banner in order to find no valid link to paypal or whatever to just make a simple donation? Do you actually want the funds or not?
Quick reply...
The first post in the thread links to another post, which clearly states THAT SERVICE NO LONGER AVAILABLE, and has a almost complete listing of expenses and donations.
If I understand correctly, the thread was silent since 11th of January. And yes, that probably means that the banner should have been removed long ago.
Best wishes.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Wikiwide For This Useful Post:

Tags
chatbot, maturity?, mister clown