Notices

Are you addicted to your feeds at Google Reader? If yes, then please read on: Announcing a small desktop widget for Google Reader. (Note: It can be found in Extras-devel so test it at your own risk.)

Dependencies: libqt4-maemo5-core, libqt4-maemo5-gui, libqt4-maemo5-xml, libqt4-maemo5-network should cover it.

It will show you the total unread count of your feeds and by tapping it open you the google reader to read it.

Some features:

- Settings dialog for google reader settings
- User definable poll time (in minutes)
- Shortcut to open the google reader page

Known issues: since this is made with Qt (4.6.2.) there are limitations to the desktop "experience". The application is launched from the application menu and will load it to the desktop. The application also needs a tap for focus, before you can tap it again to open the google reader page.

Cannot post screenshots right now, maybe later.

What do you guys think? Does it work? Is it useful? Needed improvements? Let's here it!

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to pillar For This Useful Post:
Posts: 81 | Thanked: 15 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Romania, Bucharest
Great! What should we be looking for? What's the name, greader?
Edit 1: yes, I've dwed. Where do I get the GReader url?
Edit 2: Editing the settings works very hard or not at all: after inputting the user, I cannot move to the following field.

Do you have a bugtracker?

Last edited by onutz; 2010-02-16 at 15:29.

Thanks a lot

I was playing with greader settings while I have received a call. The phone has crashed into call gui, got to remove the battery.

@onutz Go to google reader with your account with the browser and copy the url there. I am using www.google.com/reader/i which is I guess meant for Iphone, but works great for n900 as well.

I have noticed too that moving in the setup dialog is somehow hard - I don't have a clue why that is. I've heard rumors that Qt will receive better desktop widget support soon, so I'm hoping things like that will get fixed.

I don't have a bugtracker yet, let's see what comes of this first.

Were you able to get the unread count properly?

I'm having some data connection problem due to my operator network works, so I didn't have how to test.

If you don't have a bugtracker your app will be thumbed down, it's mandatory (see this )

I'm also using the reader with Hide User Agent set up for Apple / Android

@onutz relax, this is just the first release, not even close to trying to push this to extras. So no thumbs required.

If someone has trouble to get it show the data, for debugging you could start the app from xterm with run-standalone.sh /usr/bin/greader and it should give some debug information.