Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by SD69 View Post
It's being announced over the Mer general mailing list. I've forwarded to the maemo developer mailing list. Please pardon the cut and paste here.

<cut>

[17:14] <@MerBot> Minutes (text): http://mer.bfst.de/meetings/mer-meet...3-20-16.00.txt
[17:14] <@MerBot> Log: http://mer.bfst.de/meetings/mer-meet...16.00.log.html

I was thinking of scheduling another get together on 10 April at 16:00 UTC , I'll send out an email nearer the time and if anyone wants to sponsor/donate please get in touch.
Just logging in to state this - before any of you are attending the 10 april meeting, please read through the minutes and logs above and understand that for any given community-hosted service/app store there is a range of problems.

We'll try to set up a meeting on the 10th, it wasn't directly decided as noted in the e-mail but we'll probably have a sync to move things forward. Mer-general archive and information is at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Mailing_lists

Some problems:

1) Cost of hardware and handling donations, including checks and balances, setup of legal entities
2) Legal implications (who gets the nastygrams) if we distribute patented or otherwise copyrighted material we aren't permitted to distribute because of a user uploading it.
3) Who contributes and maintains support for the various build targets (Mer, MeeGo, Harmattan, Fremantle) within the OBS.

For 2), from Mer point of view, we're a proper open source project (soon with some non-profit established) with no legal department or corporate hosts that can easily fight back when we get attacked because of random-user's upload of some pirated ROM in a N900 NES emulator to a community OBS.

That is also noted in the minutes that we're working to find a way to do this without risking Mer's core mission and Mer's ability for others to build upon it without worrying it'll go away due to a legal threat.

The other side of the coin is that such shared services are needed to properly grow communities, because in this world, it's not enough to just put up a repository, you need to provide security updates, make it easy to find the software, not just your typical output of a SDK.

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-04-05 at 13:00.

The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,513 | Thanked: 2,248 times | Joined on Mar 2006 @ US
Originally Posted by qgil View Post
At #mer-meeting. I'll be there.
Great. What I meant is that maemo should discuss what we want before the IRC chat. I'm sure the people from Mer, KDE, etc., would appreciate if we didn't take up their time in the meeting talking about internal maemo topics.

Anybody who cares to comment, I would really like to understand better what this change implies for the future of maemo. Of course, IRC is not necessary for this - we can do it asynchronously via forum or ML.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SD69 For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,671 | Thanked: 11,478 times | Joined on Jun 2008 @ Warsaw, Poland
Originally Posted by Stskeeps View Post
We'll try to set up a meeting on the 10th, it wasn't directly decided as noted in the e-mail but we'll probably have a sync to move things forward. Mer-general archive and information is at http://wiki.merproject.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
Agenda for April 10 meeting, at http://www.mail-archive.com/mer-gene...msg00413.html:

Hi,

As mentioned below here is the Agenda for the next meeting in #mer-meeting
at 16:00 UTC on 10 April

1. Current status of Maemo community OBS
2. Mer NFP Status including progress on Donation/Sponsorship Procedures
3, Legal Entity Progress
4. Plasma Active Update on proposed plans for new Repos
5, Harmattan/Fremantle Targets

If you would like to add anything to the agenda please let me know.

BR

vgrade

Last edited by Stskeeps; 2012-04-06 at 07:38.

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Stskeeps For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
I'd say it's working as it should be if I understood correctly (please correct me if I didn't) what you did - took package from diablo and made it available for fremantle thus making you the package's maintainer for fremantle.
Correct. So far so good.

However it also made me the package maintainer for Diablo, and retroactively applied that error to existing packages that I never touched, taking away the credit from the people who did the actual hard work. I'm not necessarily arguing for resources to be spent fixing it (if no one cared in 2010 it's way too late now) but surely that isn't working "like it should".

Then someone else came along and uploaded new versions (I didn't mind at all btw, that's not the point) from a different account but without remembering to change the Maintainer field: and the system accepted them just fine and gave me credit for those too :-/

So if one wants to take over a package without the previous maintainer's approval it doesn't seem like much of a problem.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lma For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Guys, again: it's great that we're all passionate one way or another about this or that aspect of the discussion, but I ask again that the rhetoric come down and stay down a few hundred degrees. There's just no point in picking at old wounds, especially when the causes look to be more perceived than real anyway, and pissing contests are better held in Off Topic..

Thanks for your understanding. I really, really don't want to moderate this thread.

Posts: 2,355 | Thanked: 5,249 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Barcelona
Originally Posted by lma View Post
Then someone else came along and uploaded new versions (I didn't mind at all btw, that's not the point) from a different account but without remembering to change the Maintainer field: and the system accepted them just fine and gave me credit for those too :-/
Noticed that too, it felt really weird -- to see the maintainer approval request for a package with the same package already being on the "Latest builds" list. (So much for QA! )

Btw, OBS Diablo target anyone? I could give that a few minutes... if I ever manage to get a working OBS virtual machine appliance . It is probably harder than a few minutes though...

Last edited by javispedro; 2012-04-07 at 02:45.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to javispedro For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Guys, again: it's great that we're all passionate one way or another about this or that aspect of the discussion, but I ask again that the rhetoric come down and stay down a few hundred degrees. There's just no point in picking at old wounds, especially when the causes look to be more perceived than real anyway, and pissing contests are better held in Off Topic..

Thanks for your understanding. I really, really don't want to moderate this thread.
Appreciating Your good will (no irony here), but what exactly are You referring to? It seems to me, that this thread is quite meritocratic, and much less emotional than "council Election" was just few pages ago.

If You don't want to "point finger at", I'll also be happy via PM answer with example. Really, I'm not trying to argue/being ironical, just wanting to understand what You exactly mean.

/Estel
-
Camera cover MOD
-
Measure battery's real capacity on-device
-
TrueCrypt 7.1 | ereswap | bnf
-
Hardware's mods research is costly. To support my work, please consider donating. Thank You!

The Following User Says Thank You to Estel For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,269 | Thanked: 3,961 times | Joined on May 2011 @ Brazil
Originally Posted by timoph View Post
This would also be a way to clean the queue now unless there are clear cases of packages that should be promoted. Anyway, I'd put the packages that have been in the queue and unlocked for a long time under a microscope and reject them even for small issues since most likely those packages will not receive fixes anymore.
Sorry, I think some guys are asking too much from Maemo developers : that the packages will have warranty of future updates to be promoted to extras ! Future for 1 year ? 3 years ? It is nonsense...

The package that is in extras-testing, is well voted and tested, IMHO, should be automatically promoted without the maintainer. If a critical problem/bug is found in any extras software (with or without maintainer), the super-testers could have the hability of removing the software (in very rare cases).

Do you guys think that all software in Maemo.org extras, Nokia Store, App Store and Android Market have current maintainers ?
-- My blog about mobile & scientific computing ---
Sailfish : Sony Xperia X, Gemini, Jolla, Jolla C, Jolla Tablet, Nexus 4. Nokia N9, N900, N810.

Last edited by rcolistete; 2012-04-08 at 00:38.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rcolistete For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by Estel View Post
Appreciating Your good will (no irony here), but what exactly are You referring to? It seems to me, that this thread is quite meritocratic, and much less emotional than "council Election" was just few pages ago.

If You don't want to "point finger at", I'll also be happy via PM answer with example. Really, I'm not trying to argue/being ironical, just wanting to understand what You exactly mean.

/Estel
I was thinking of more than one thread, but for the most part you're correct: this one is ok overall, but I saw one example of things possibly heating up again. If you read through you should see it, but if need be I can PM the link.

Back to the discussion...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
Posts: 415 | Thanked: 732 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ Finland
Originally Posted by rcolistete View Post
Sorry, I think some guys are asking too much from Maemo developers : that the packages will have warranty of future updates to be promoted to extras ! Future for 1 year ? 3 years ? It is nonsense...
No. I just would be more strict on promoting clearly abondoned packages currently stuck in testing to extras. Open source software has the usual "as is" warranty and at least I'm not pushing to change that at all. It's more about discussion on what is considered stable (enough) for extras.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to timoph For This Useful Post: