Posts: 155 | Thanked: 19 times | Joined on May 2008 @ Tokyo, Japan
I have an extra unused PC and I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu or debian, or maybe Windows 7 Beta. Or maybe even making it a dual-boot linux/windows 7. Also thinking of using it to study developing for N810 using Python. So I have a question?

If your were going to setup a clean PC as a dedicated development platform for the Nokia N810 what OS, software, utilities would you install?

Posts: 4,708 | Thanked: 4,649 times | Joined on Oct 2007 @ Bulgaria
Windows as a N8x0 dev platform... that's a new one...

The Following User Says Thank You to Bundyo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,635 | Thanked: 1,816 times | Joined on Apr 2008 @ Manchester, England
I use windows.

Posts: 3,096 | Thanked: 1,525 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Michigan, USA
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post
I have an extra unused PC and I'm thinking of installing Ubuntu or debian, or maybe Windows 7 Beta. Or maybe even making it a dual-boot linux/windows 7. Also thinking of using it to study developing for N810 using Python. So I have a question?

If your were going to setup a clean PC as a dedicated development platform for the Nokia N810 what OS, software, utilities would you install?
If you are looking to do development for Maemo then Ubuntu or any Debian based Linux system will do.

Install Debian
Install Scratchbox
Install SDK

Here is some good information about Diablo and links to SDK/scratchbox installer scripts.
http://maemo.org/development/sdks/ma...-1_diablo_sdk/

Here is info about Maemo 5
http://maemo.org/development/sdks/ma...realpha2_main/
To all my Maemo friends. I will no longer be monitoring any of my threads here on a regular basis. I am no longer supporting anything I did under maemo at maemo.org. If you need some help with something you can reach me at tablethacker.com or www.facebook.com/penguinbait. I have disabled my PM's here, and removed myself from Council email and Community mailing list. There has been some fun times, see you around.

If you have need for Windows, why not dual-boot? I think I have Windows on one of my computers somewhere.

Originally Posted by lcuk View Post
I use windows.
How do you do it? Emulators and coLinux doesn't count - not exactly Windows.

Bundyo,

quite simple:
on windows
install winscp
install komodo-edit
install putty
connect to tablet which has gcc+stdc+*dev libs installed
edit source stored on /media/mmc1/svn/liqbase/libliqbase
run putty
type "if make; then ./vworld; fi" and watch my app directly on tablet.

coLinux + Komodo would probably be faster And since in Komodo you can define custom commands, you can copy and run the app on your tablet directly from the IDE... with a shortcut

Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
Originally Posted by TokyoDan View Post

My Window/Ubuntu dual boot has been working for over a year now and has absolutely no problem. Want to try? Step by step here, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ad.php?t=21992

bun

Originally Posted by Bundyo View Post
coLinux + Komodo would probably be faster And since in Komodo you can define custom commands, you can copy and run the app on your tablet directly from the IDE... with a shortcut

Bundyo, I can edit and compile from anywhere, with any OS or even native complete 100% on board building.

Having to maintain a drastically customized IDE isn't practical and when I am on my linux laptop it uses sshfs and gedit to the same extent.

you say its slow, for the single module compilations I spent most of the time doing, its slower to use scratchbox and copy over and execute than what I do.

I have flexibility and ease of use on my side, its logical and simple and most importantly, it works well.

Last edited by lcuk; 2009-02-01 at 14:55. Reason: missed gedit

The Following User Says Thank You to lcuk For This Useful Post: