Active Topics

Posts: 194 | Thanked: 172 times | Joined on Jan 2011 @ Sydney, Australia
Hey all,

So I've been trying to find a good use for my N900 ever since it stopped recognising SIM cards, and I think I might have stumbled across it.

Seagate make a product last year called the GoFlex Satellite, which is a portable, battery-powered, WiFi-broadcasting 500GB HDD. This is awesome, because it means I can finally start taking my many, many GBs of music with me wherever I go. However, the GFS has a fair few restrictions placed on it, chiefly that any access from the N900 would have to be through the poorly-designed GFS web portal. Far from ideal.

Of course, like most network-enabled hard drives it's running Linux underneath, and like most things running Linux someone has hacked it. Case in point.

There's a couple more facets to this for me (I need to buy a multipoint-enabled pair of BT headphones so I can still get incoming calls off my N9) but it seems do-able. I guess I just wanted to check if:

1 - Anyone else had tried doing this, and run into any implementation issues
2 - The N900's Rockbox port is able to access network storage (I'm assuming it's hidden somewhere in the filesystem, but I'm not smart enough to know where)
3 - There's any limitations within the network storage component of the N900's default media player app? Can't remember exactly.

Any thoughts on this would be welcomed, thanks guys.

I've purchased a Patriot Gauntlet Node (WiFi-enabled, battery-powered 2.5" HDD enclosure) and a 1TB HDD to fit it, so the game's on. Will report back in this thread with level of success.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to keflex For This Useful Post:
Replying to say that while the N900 definitely can stream via CIFS, the speed is too slow to allow for higher-quality music like FLAC (even tried running the command through Terminal with -direct, no dice). Lower-bitrate music (think MP3 v2) would probably be fine, but I haven't tested so no promises.

Shame; with Rockbox it would have made the N900 a great little DAP. As it stands I'm using CM9 on my HP Touchpad to run Rockbox and it has no issue streaming from the Node.

http://i.imgur.com/QpDe3.jpg

I would try the N9 out but lack of gapless playback makes the exercise seem pretty pointless. Unless a new app's launched and I missed it?