So, I recently sendt my N900 to Nokia Care for a faulty usb plug and waited 2 weeks for it to get back. Without any hiccups I followed the progress online and was thriving with joy as I walk down to the store to pick it up today.

When the clerk opened the box and found a huge bulk of plastic bags and recites, to our both's supprise, NC has apperently ran out of spares for the N900 and decided to ship me a E7 without the original box or packaging. Leaving me with no other option then to accept the new device as, what the clerk called, a "great catch".

Naturally I wasnt as happy as he'd expect me to be and said that i would rather have my old phone, then this new lagging piece of horse dung.

My thoughts at the moment are to wait for the N9 to come out in Norway and then complain to Nokia Care that the suppliment product they've sendt me (E7) nowhere near complies with the abilities of the N900 and ask for them to supply me a N9 in return for the E7.

Nothing can obiously replace the N900 at the moment, but I'd be stupid to accept the E7 as a worthy replacement.

What would you do in my situation?

Isamun

I'll trade you for an N8?

Posts: 844 | Thanked: 521 times | Joined on Jan 2009 @ UK southampton
Count your blessings its better than a N8 which some people are getting. I feel for you though as I would miss my N900, not getting rid even after I get new device.
In all honesty though the E7 is not a bad phone its just not a n900.

The Following User Says Thank You to casper27 For This Useful Post:
So, you dont think I should try to get a N9 instead? I mean, If i could choose, I'd rather have some high-spec android device then a E7. (maybe a SGII or something)

Maybe that will changed though, as I havent really given the E7 much time to impress me. I am currently updating to Anna and i hope the Browser lag gets reduced my a mile. If not I cannot keep it..

Originally Posted by Isamun View Post
So, you dont think I should try to get a N9 instead? I mean, If i could choose, I'd rather have some high-spec android device then a E7. (maybe a SGII or something)

Maybe that will changed though, as I havent really given the E7 much time to impress me. I am currently updating to Anna and i hope the Browser lag gets reduced my a mile. If not I cannot keep it and then I'll swop it with Ziggadebo..
Excellent

Originally Posted by ziggadebo View Post
Excellent
Hahah, I'll keep that in mind.. After all, with an N8 I could atleast expand the memory and charged it while in USB OTG xD

Posts: 502 | Thanked: 366 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ /dev/null
If you can't win with getting a N900 back (you have to keep persisting, they are stubborn people who can't tell the difference between an orange and a lemon), then you should sell that E7 and buy another N900.

I have heard of a few successful cases where people have refused to accept N8/E7 as a replacement device for N900 so my best bet is to keep trying and maybe you can get lucky with getting another N900.

The whole point of running N900 is a load of crap, that microUSB can be easily fixed by a skilled electrician (or you can do it if you happen to have a soldering kits handy). Spare parts for microUSB are abundant so there's no excuse as to be willing to accept N8/E7 as replacement.

FYI: When I refer to orange and lemon, I refer N900 versus the rest of the current nokia devices. The rest are literally rubbish when you admire the uniqueness of the maemo platform that no symbian could compare. However, salespeople are usually dimwitted to know the difference on the platform could mean so much to the end user who are in the know.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tuxsavvy For This Useful Post:
Originally Posted by Isamun View Post
So, I recently sendt my N900 to Nokia Care

(...)

My thoughts at the moment are to wait for the N9 to come out in Norway and then complain to Nokia Care that the suppliment product they've sendt me (E7) nowhere near complies with the abilities of the N900 and ask for them to supply me a N9 in return for the E7.

Nothing can obiously replace the N900 at the moment, but I'd be stupid to accept the E7 as a worthy replacement.

What would you do in my situation?

Isamun
I would not wait silently. Once you do that, you've "accepted" the trade and are only bargaining for a free upgrade.

Let it be known as soon as possible, as high up in the hierarchy possible, that you feel cheated. Say that nothing short of an N950 or possibly the N9 can even compare to the N900, that the E7 can't do any of the things you bought the N900 to do. I think you should press that unless they can deliver according to the consumer law and give you a phone with equal functionality as what you bought, you want your money back.

I don't think this will work, but I am pretty sure you're not going to get anything other than an E7 or N8 unless you press hard.

Edit: you're "lucky" that it was the USB that broke, since this is a design flaw and you get your "5 år reklamasjonsrett" without argument. In Norway, according to this, you can have a replacement or the full money back. Your job is to prove that the E7 is no replacement.

Edit: furthermore, I believe it's quite possible to get a tech hardware site to write an article about your case, if you present it in a good way. In example amobil.no. If you can show the writers there that Nokia is trying to make you accept a lesser product, then they may write an article about it. If that happens, your case is as good as solved. Well, at least you'll get a better offer.

Last edited by volt; 2011-09-02 at 15:40.

does the E7 integrate SIP dialing as well as N900...
I love my n900 for telepathy/ SIP integration.... i make close to 30 minutes of SIP-to-phone calls daily when I am outside my country.... and the quality is great....

i have a problem with my n900 at the moment (headphone issue, cant listen to music at all).... and the only reason i am not giving it to NC is I fear E7 doesnt have good enough SIP capabilities (if i get it in exchange that is)

Posts: 209 | Thanked: 203 times | Joined on Jun 2010 @ Portugal
This is not good, since i was thinking about sending my n900 to warranty...
To fix the earpiece (despite that the USB is a bit loose)
What if they return me with a goddamn E7? I mean, If I wanted symbian, i'd just grab my N73 and use it, since E7 is no way near an N900 replacement.
Maybe there are still Spanish/Portuguese N900s in nokia's stock (since the keyboard is different)