Posts: 4,030 | Thanked: 1,633 times | Joined on Jul 2007 @ nd usa
As suggested by Milhouse, started a new thread.

A brief summary about what happened.

My N800 was happily running 2.2007.50-2 4G/4G int memory boot. I decided to clone the 2008Os to have MMC boot, following this instructions, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...ead.php?t=8631.
I have used the above methods more than a dozen times and worked very well, from 2006 to 2007, reflash mulitple time when needed. This time, I was having problem with partition, upon end of partition, it flagged an error statement that "command re-reading partition failed, reboot before using mkdosfs....". This happened for both my 8G SDHC and 2G SD. Anyhow, I rebooted the N800 and finished with the 2G and it worked, it booted from the 2G SD.

Now I repeated the procedure on the 8G, it failed to clone. Apparantly, all the format DOS and Debian worked, as checked with control panel/file manager and cat /proc/partitions. It is the cloning process failed. It cloned for the first few minutes, then abort because of "file not there, cannot open file/ directory...." ended with input/output error.

Answers to the questions:

1) Yes, the .nupgrade.sh and TAR are in /home/user/bin. But the chmod command flagged with "operation not permitted"

2) Yes, I am root when running nupgrade.sh

3) I think you got me here, can remember exactly, but I think I was dl as root and now trying to chmod the file as 'user', I will try one more time....

4) Yup, I remember I should not have to dl and chmod everytime, since my 2 G clone is fine, I should be able to skip this step. well, I will try one more time now...

thanks

bun

No luck, same results.

chmod flagged "Operation not permitted"

upon cloning, it reported lots of "file directory not found, cannot open...." and finally stopped at

/home/user/bin/tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors touch: /opt/CLONE-COPY; Input/output error Done

Ls for /home/user/bin showed

nupgrade.sh tar
nupgrade.sh.1 tar.1

same results 3 x in a roll

bun

I digged out a 1 G SD card, and partition into .3G and .7G, same error statement showed up, "command re-read partition failed, pls reboot before mkdosfs...." Anyhow, I followed thru exactly the same instructions, and it worked. So, now I have a 2G and 1G 2008Os boot sd card. The 8 G card still wont boot.

bun

Now the picture is crystal clear:

All partition returned an error statment that "command re-read partition fail...." on N800 running 2.2007.50-2.

And then upon follow Milhouse simplified instructions, 8G failed whereas 2G and 1G succeeded

How come I am the only lucky guy spotted the error statement? Could some of you have any spare SD card, do a partition here, please?

Despite the err statement, the SD cards all partition correctly. So the error statement is NOT warranted. Is there a bug?

The 2G and 1G cards succeeded all the way and able to boot, while the 8G is not, this pointed to the SDHC kernel from the 2.2007.50-2, right?

I have a 1G RSMMC card. does the N800 use RSMMC card? I would like to try........

2.2007.50-2 N800 8G ext flash 2G boot

becomeroot
camera
canola2
cityguide
diskusage
fmradio
gizmo-project
gpe gnumeric/calendar/filemanager
laod applet
maemo-mapper
map
mediabox
mediastreamer
mplayer
omweather
osso-xterm
Pidgin IM
podsync
python2.5-runtime
quiver
rdesktop
rtcomm-beta-installer
simple-launcher
simplemapper
ukmp
videocenter

bun

Last edited by bunanson; 2008-01-08 at 09:38.

The Following User Says Thank You to bunanson For This Useful Post:
Well, my theory about the SDHC kernal is wrong. I was able to clone 2008Os using Milhouse script, http://www.internettablettalk.com/fo...1635#post81635, to a 4G Adata SDHC card without problem. However, upon partition, same error message pops up, "re-read partition fail....." can somebody, please, confirm whether this the way the partition message read or something different in my system. Thanks,

bun

does the N800 use RSMMC card?
yep, with adapter of course

The Following User Says Thank You to muki For This Useful Post:
Muki: when you partition your card, does it flag an err message like what I have?

thanks

bun

I think I'm having the same problem.

2008OS cloned to 4GB SDHC card worked without (too many) problems.

2008OS cloned to 16GB SDHC card - unable to boot from the card.

Card is partitioned like this:

Nokia-N800-50-2:~# sfdisk -lx

Disk /dev/mmcblk0: 503680 cylinders, 4 heads, 16 sectors/track
Units = cylinders of 32768 bytes, blocks of 1024 bytes, counting from 0

Device Boot Start End #cyls #blocks Id System
/dev/mmcblk0p1 0+ 407679 407680- 13045759+ b W95 FAT32
/dev/mmcblk0p2 407680 503679 96000 3072000 83 Linux
/dev/mmcblk0p3 0 - 0 0 0 Empty
/dev/mmcblk0p4 0 - 0 0 0 Empty

I suspect that the boot menu process cant find the 2nd partition at such a high starting block... (I could very well be wrong, it's a guess).

Using the same card, if I partition the card so that there is a ~3GB ext2 partition first, and the remaining space is FAT32 the card *wiil* boot (however the /media/mmc2 is mounted as the first ext2 partition, not the FAT32 partition when booting from flash, the FAT32 partition is not mounted at all.)

Would very much welcome anyone's thoughts.

Thanks,
Andy

Posts: 2,152 | Thanked: 1,490 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Czech Republic
Originally Posted by twonk View Post
I suspect that the boot menu process cant find the 2nd partition at such a high starting block... (I could very well be wrong, it's a guess).
That is quite unlikely. MMC is block device just like harddisk. Unless the mmc driver itself is buggy (unlikely too), there is no difference for kernel between SD card and your latest 500GB or 1TB harddisk. Linux kernel, partition table layout and ext2 filesystem can handle that just fine. So maybe some userspace utility on tablet (sfdisk,mkfs.ext2) is broken or compiled without support for bigger sizes (??) or I simply don't know.

Try to use sfdisk with -uM if it makes difference while partitioning or even try to partition and mkfs.ext2 on linux PC over USB. Also what happens when you boot from flash and then mount such partition later? Can you read it?
You can even run as root
Code:
chroot /mnt/initfs
and then you are inside initfs and you can mount it there. That should be same situation like when system boots. Post any error you see.

BTW since prices went down lately I have ordered 8GB class 6 SDHC card for my N800 so I will try this when I have it.

If you really need to PM me with troubleshooting question please consider posting it to the forum instead. It is OK to PM me a link to such post then. Thank you.

Last edited by fanoush; 2008-01-17 at 20:47.

ah, now I have to show my ignorance! I can chroot /mnt/initfs but dont know how to try to mount mmcblk0p2 while there.

I've tried sfdisk -uM and that has the same results. Tomorrow I will boot up my gentoo PC and try partitioning and formatiing on there.

Many thanks for your help. it is much appreciated. Good luck with your 8gb card. The price drop was what prompted getting a new card myself.

Andy.