Posts: 1,463 | Thanked: 81 times | Joined on Oct 2005 @ UK
bill322: My point is that others *have* had their 770 turn on seemingly by itself.

There are two options:

1) R&D mode is enabled, which makes it turn on with just the lightest touch of the power button.
2) There's an obscure bug somewhere in the firmware causing it.

The second is a pain to track down, which is why the Maemo team would *love* the information requested on that page sent to them, so they can try and fix it.

Don't send it to me. Don't post it here. Send it to Nokia through the maemo mailing lists, including the information requested on that page and that might be enough for them to track it down.

Cheers,

Andrew

Originally Posted by schmolch
Oh no, the mmc4 kernel does not work, the 770 goes into a reboot-loop.
I have flashed my 770 with the newest image 2 days ago, and spent like 3 hours restoring everything... I was happy to be able to use my 2GB Kingston right away... Before this image I was using 1GB Kingston...
Well I found out that the device wont start right...
It gets into REBOOT LOOPS and sometimes It starts but you never know how many reboots you have to wait until the device starts!!!

I reflashed it and restored my back up file this morning, assuming maybe it will work fine this time...
After restoring everything I turned it off and tried to start it!
BUT SAME THING ! REBOOT LOOPS!

Schmolch says mmc4 kernel does not work
but I don't know how to fix this issue... I will be so happy if somebody can explain this process step by step...
I don't want to give another 3 hours to flash it...

Thanks in advance...

Posts: 74 | Thanked: 5 times | Joined on Dec 2005 @ San Jose
Thats interesting. I've also been seeing the reboot loops as well. Mine started before this last flash update. I didn't want to update it, but oddly enough a few days after the new update came out, mine wouldn't boot any more. The initial screen comes up, but the progress bar would never start. Then it would loop. I never let it loop more than 2-3 times so I had no idea it eventually would come up. I ended up reflashing it with the new update and all was well.

Then, about a week later (yesterday) I had the same thing happen again. The e-mail client crashed, so I rebooted it. And then got into that loop state again. After 3-4 times I just flashed it again and gave up.

So I'd be curious to know as well if there's something that is causing this. I'm wondering if somehow the internal memory gets corrupted and it can't mount the filesystem any more. But then again I had no idea that if you left it looping it would eventually boot. Would have saved me some data loss since I don't back mine up every single day :-/

Yeah, I kinda wonder if some of the problems people are experiencing are due to bad flash. Does anyone know if Nokia's flash upgrade tool does a block check when attempting to write a new firmware to flash?

Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Along these lines, I just posted a discovery in the troubleshooting forum: my home desktop flashes fine, but work laptop occasionally does not. Maybe something interfering. I recommend shutting off all unnecessary processes while flashing. Also, the linux version has only given me trouble 1 out of over 20 flashes (run on ubuntu).

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 21 times | Joined on Feb 2006 @ Italy
Anyone experiencing loose of the device name into the email client once deleting emails? Mine worked well for the first week, then, without having changed anything particular, suddendly the message "Delete from: Server and Nokia 770 / Nokia 770 only" has changed in "Delete from: Server and (null) / (null) only"

Posts: 370 | Thanked: 443 times | Joined on Jan 2006 @ Italy
Originally Posted by phi
"finger usage improvements?"
I'd like to resume this, because if anybody just tried or noticed it out, it's the best way to expaline the interface progresses in this update.

Using the 770 only with fingers is no more a pain, it is a GREAT usability improvements.

Apps such as Navicore and Canola make great benefit of this, and now I am able to use my N770 while driving with no use of the stylus!

IMHO it has been a difference not enough stressed out, and it alone deserves this upgrade.

seconded!

only just got round to upgrading, and can't believe the difference with finger/thumb usage - EVERY aspect is now do-able with thumb touch, from connecting to wifi to browsing to file manager, opening pdfs etc.

have only just discovered this and haven't even had to get the stylus out at all for the last hour.

fantastic stuff, well worth the upgrade alone. anyone like me who wasn't bothering, I highly recommend it!