Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Gerald, how soon you forgot what I also said about breaking solutions into manageable chunks.

For the life of me I don't know why you would think I ever suggested all solutions need to be implemented simultaneously, when for the entire existence of Brainstorm I have advocated the opposite.

Let the overall solution building run a while-- but that in no way implies easy ones can't be implemented while deeper discussion progresses.

I really feel your tirade at me is inappropriate and unfair, to say the least.
Sorry. I guess you're right. No offense meant. And, in addition to my button-click Thanks! for setting up the Brainstorm, Thanks Again.

I do feel like I have a sense of urgency that, particularly on the earlier thread, you and fatalsaint don't share. I look around and say to myself, "What's become of penguinbait?" "What's become of ioan?" I've heard from lm2 that he's bailing because it's all N900 all the time. Bunanson was of that mind (a little more complex than that, but it was a core part) until he opted for an N900. I've heard from others and read other posts to that effect. So I think there's irreversible disintegration going on, which I think likely already has been fatal for a viable N8x0 community. So when I read a post that sounds unduly patient, it triggers a frustration reaction.

I've been arguing for some way simply to create a haven for N8x0 users within talk.maemo.org for over a month. I feel it's urgent. When you "play devil's advocate" or bring in all kinds of other problems, I regard it as an obstacle that delays something that needs to be done yesterday. So when you say, "this is going to take a while," there's a button in me that gets pushed. Or we could say a trigger that gets pulled. And insofar as you took a bullet as a result, I apologize.

Now what can we do to get this implemented soon?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
It's cool. I was just surprised.

Reggie is the one to answer about small modifications-- I have no clue.

And FYI: I changed the Brainstorm title, switching out "redesign" for "improvements". Broader coverage.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Texrat For This Useful Post:
<aside>
What is being said about n8XX devices is what i've felt for a long while with my n770. I now have the new hotness with an n900, but I don't think thats any reason to abandon the old working hardware. part of the reason i haven't reflashed my n700 after mucking around w it so much is that i'm worried about repos and such just not being there.
</aside>

I think the tagging and categories can run in separate tracks and could even be developed separately as long as you don't build in conflicting calls, etc.

Below is my first crack at the tagging portion also added to Brainstorm - waiting for it to complete saving...
  • Threads can be tagged by any user
  • Any user can create Tags
  • Tagging is not anonymous - Any user Tagging a thread is listed next to the tag in the thread - this prevents unhelpful tags being added w/o some way to address unhelpful posting behavior
  • Tags can be added or removed dynamically via the search results UI - similar to how some shopping sites allow you to narrow down or broaden your choices based on criteria

This would allow users to customize content on things like n900 Browsers Text, and as long as either the thread starter or people reading the thread had tagged it appropriately should be able to find what they are looking for.

I imagine there could also be a mix of tags and search terms, but as was said above, tiny chunks that can be executed on efficiently and effectively.

hth

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypoxic For This Useful Post:
Posts: 1,359 | Thanked: 717 times | Joined on May 2009 @ ...standing right behind you...
Originally Posted by Texrat View Post
Gerald, how soon you forgot what I also said about breaking solutions into manageable chunks.

For the life of me I don't know why you would think I ever suggested all solutions need to be implemented simultaneously, when for the entire existence of Brainstorm I have advocated the opposite.

Let the overall solution building run a while-- but that in no way implies easy ones can't be implemented while deeper discussion progresses.

I really feel your tirade at me is inappropriate and unfair, to say the least.
I support Gerald and would personally prefer that Texrat steps out of this discussion.
AutoScan, Diablo5 Theme, Dialcentral, DragLock, EmelFM2, FlipClock, gPodder, Headphoned, Knots 2, Maemo Mapper, mPlayer, openNTPD, OpenSSH, Panucci, Personal Launcher, QuickNote, Seqretary, SlideLock, Telescope, YellowNotes

Silvermountain, That was entirely unnecessary. Texrat is the one that *created* this thread and the brainstorm to get the processing moving on this subject.

A subject that obviously you care so much about as to come make a completely useless 1-line post, and manage to insult someone trying to help "your cause" in that "one line".

If all you wanted to do was a "+1", you could have done that with a Thumbs Up on the brainstorm and been done with it. Texrat has been far more helpful with this discussion and project than you have, as it is, and even Gerald apologized for his slight over-reaction and all is fine between the two. Gerald is passionate, which is understood - however you are just argumentative, and unhelpful.

Unless you have something that actually pertains to the discussion at hand, please refrain from hitting the "post" button. Go flame somewhere else.

The Following User Says Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:
Posts: 11,700 | Thanked: 10,045 times | Joined on Jun 2006 @ North Texas, USA
Originally Posted by silvermountain View Post
I support Gerald and would personally prefer that Texrat steps out of this discussion.
Kindly read my signature, thanks. You'd benefit by reading Gerald's post after mine as well.

And as fatalsaint said, that sort of "contribution" is not welcome. Troll elsewhere.

Posts: 1,950 | Thanked: 1,174 times | Joined on Jan 2008 @ Seattle, USA
Silvermountain, I appreciate your supporting the quick establishment of some haven for N8x0 users, which is, I suppose, what you mean about supporting me. I wish I had responded to your post before others, since I don't want you to feel "piled on," but Texrat and I aren't trying to have a fight.

In fact, you can look at his contributions this way: This too-late-begun campaign to save the forum for N8x0/770 users would be even more anemic were it not for Texrat posting on these threads! At the very least, his posts recycle the issue in New Posts where people may give it some attention!

(To be less tongue-in-cheek, Texrat and fatalsaint have also pushed me to better articulate what I would like to see done.)

So, Texrat and Silvermountain, both of you stick around.

Last edited by GeraldKo; 2009-12-18 at 21:55.

The Following User Says Thank You to GeraldKo For This Useful Post:
there's a lesson in this somewhere: silvermountain losing his cool shows what having to scroll through page after page of irrelevant threads can do to an intelligent human being!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wesgreen For This Useful Post:
Posts: 607 | Thanked: 450 times | Joined on Sep 2009 @ Washington, DC
Let me ask a question about a possible palliative.

The current New Posts uses "search.php?do=getnew" (according to the URL) while the Advanced Search page is labeled "http://talk.maemo.org/search.php" and it allows me to store search options.

Is it possible to have the getnew function use the stored search options?

If so, I could define forums or tags there.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DaveP1 For This Useful Post:
Theoretically yes. With my knowledge of PHP it should very much be possible to integrate the saved search preferences into getnew. I've never looked at vBulletin (I think that's what drives the forum?) code before to know how easy it would be to implement, however.

Bad coding could make it really difficult... good programming should make it quite simple. Definitely need Reggie's input on that one.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatalsaint For This Useful Post:

Tags
forum, rules, threads