Originally Posted by Nuuskis View Post
Superiority of iPhone CAN be argued. For example, the iPhone warranty: winters where I live are cold. This, regarding to Apple, voids your warranty. And they do not even tell this until it's broken.

At least Nokia brings knowledge of this to the people living in NA.

I understand that different users have different needs from their phones. In my case, the N900 satisfies all of my needs better than any other phone in the market. There are some unique stuff that only can be done with N900, that cannot be argued. Then there is these mainstream apps that just make life a little easier than using N900 to complete these tasks. I don't use any of these apps.

IMHO, the user interface in Maemo is better and more efficient to use than Android, but again this is just an opinion.
The UI on Maemo is AMAZING. It is outdated and lacking though. It needs voice recognition, spell checking, real support for portrait mode (not hacks), and just a few other tweaks. It is still arguably the best mobile OS ever made by man. However it was killed, the source was not released, it will not be updated, there will be no evolution, and applications will be minimal.

If you have a Facebook I can bet you bottom dollar I can get more done with an iPhone 4S/Android 4.0 device on FB than you can using a N900 (I know this to be true because I am the guy with the N900 right now). I wish that was not the case, but it is.

There is really no debate the Maemo 5 is by far the best mobile OS out there. But it is outdated and abandoned.

I used spell check >10 times while writing this.

Posts: 314 | Thanked: 107 times | Joined on Feb 2012 @ Bratislava, Slovakia
I´m really glad to watch such a challenging discussion going on here and I think all of you guys definitely have your point in some way...
as a no-developer, just a simple user of N9, I need to admit it´s been a great new experience for me to get-to-know MeeGo, tweak it a little bit and overall play with it with ease of a swipe...
though, I was wondering, do you really think the (supposedly) upcoming A6 in iPhone 5 will be that much better than anything else so far? (in terms of speed, user experience and tweakability)
sorry to be a little off topic, I was just thinking what´s the best choice after the PR updates stop and I´m a little bored with N9...
THX

Posts: 37 | Thanked: 7 times | Joined on Oct 2011 @ Jacksonville, FL
Originally Posted by xxxxts View Post
The UI on Maemo is AMAZING. It is outdated and lacking though. It needs voice recognition, spell checking, real support for portrait mode (not hacks), and just a few other tweaks. It is still arguably the best mobile OS ever made by man. However it was killed, the source was not released, it will not be updated, there will be no evolution, and applications will be minimal.

If you have a Facebook I can bet you bottom dollar I can get more done with an iPhone 4S/Android 4.0 device on FB than you can using a N900 (I know this to be true because I am the guy with the N900 right now). I wish that was not the case, but it is.

There is really no debate the Maemo 5 is by far the best mobile OS out there. But it is outdated and abandoned.

I used spell check >10 times while writing this.
xxxxtx, I had the N900 for 2 years and then felt the need to move on(I will always keep it and cherish it though). Which I did but personally nothing compares to the N900. I tried a friend's ICS and just didn't like it. I tried my girlfriend iPhone 4S and oh boy I disliked. Yes, they both have a tons of app but even now that I have the N9 with limited amount of apps, I barely use any but wouldn't have minded some that are unavailable (whatsapp, wordswithfriend, pandora, netflix, shazam)! Anyway, from what I can read, you need to get the iPhone! Just don't expect to overly thrilled. There are no device that will satisfy all your needs out there, and you will just have to settle for the least evil if I may say.

Of course, all this is subjective! Good luck

Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
xxxxts: I am curious about the ios story you told on the side there.
So it has been said that iPhone DOES multitasking? Not that it matters that much, but it actually is a bit funny. I am curious to know what they actually mean by that. What do they weigh into the definition multitasking.
It is a hell of a difference with cooperative multitasking (like Window 3.11 style, or android style if you like) and real round robin prioritized free threaded multitasking.
My guess is, that it is pure bull. Its just another buzz word that apple wants to include in their sales pitch. The everyday lame user thinks its sounds cool and all, but have no clue what it really means. "look, i can switch between applications, oh, it's multitasking".
Its like what I heard Steve Jobs had expressed once that iOS and their products are open platforms. Uhm, yeah, right.

Posts: 2,448 | Thanked: 9,523 times | Joined on Aug 2010 @ Wigan, UK
Potentially useful thread + neckbeards =

OP asked for help and ended up having to constantly defend/explain himself.

My website

GitHub

The Following User Says Thank You to marxian For This Useful Post:
Posts: 385 | Thanked: 426 times | Joined on Dec 2009 @ Gothenburg, Sweden
Originally Posted by marxian View Post
Potentially useful thread + neckbeards =

OP asked for help and ended up having to constantly defend/explain himself.
Exclude me from that, I am just curious. I even suggested him the N9 and I don't even own one or would buy one myself.

Originally Posted by Larswad View Post
xxxxts: I am curious about the ios story you told on the side there.
So it has been said that iPhone DOES multitasking? Not that it matters that much, but it actually is a bit funny. I am curious to know what they actually mean by that. What do they weigh into the definition multitasking.
It is a hell of a difference with cooperative multitasking (like Window 3.11 style, or android style if you like) and real round robin prioritized free threaded multitasking.
My guess is, that it is pure bull. Its just another buzz word that apple wants to include in their sales pitch. The everyday lame user thinks its sounds cool and all, but have no clue what it really means. "look, i can switch between applications, oh, it's multitasking".
Its like what I heard Steve Jobs had expressed once that iOS and their products are open platforms. Uhm, yeah, right.
That is a good question, I asked my non technical friend whom I had this conversation with and he said, "If you are downloading something and you want to go to another App, it will keep on downloading."

EDIT: It looks just like Maemo 5: http://youtu.be/s5SgqViYkfE

Last edited by xxxxts; 2012-03-07 at 16:09.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
please, after have N900 and go for iShit? lol, ok, now i know there just an ordinary guy, N900 is for geeky, its far away from sexy, go away with ur sh*tty apple, dont tell me they have best spec, look at mwc, the winner is sgs2, oh boy, thats fruit is cracked, lol

Posts: 701 | Thanked: 585 times | Joined on Sep 2010 @ London, England
Originally Posted by herpderp View Post
Then it's probably the best for you. But stop trying to convince people who made up their mind to use something else. It's not good enough for them, and your reasonings and finding obscure stuff that doesn't work on other platforms really just make you look silly.

By the way X server implementations for Android exist too, you just have to look.
Enlighten me. Where are these X Server implementations for Android? Ok, there was one that made Slashdot yesterday, and was released as a beta with very limited functionality a whopping 9 days ago, but it is so basic most X applications don't work on it. I've checked the Android market and couldn't find any others.

And back on topic. The Galaxy Note is what most interests me at the moment, but more as a mini tablet to complement my N900 rather than a replacement, well just as soon as Samsung get their arses in gear and release an official ICS firmware for it. Personally, I don't really mind that my N900 doesn't have speech recognition or spell checking or a good maps program, because they aren't things I'd use much. I love my N900 becuase it is my pocket Linux computer that is also a phone and unfortunately there hasn't been anything that compares to it on that front.

Posts: 1,583 | Thanked: 1,203 times | Joined on Dec 2011 @ Everywhere
other just 'smartphone' we actually have mini computer, so no one can replacing N900, my opinion,